Post-Game Talk: ECQF 5 | FLYERS (3) vs. Canadiens (5) | Wedn., Aug. 19, 2020 | Flyers lead series 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
what's this nine eleven thing
You're going to jail for a long time.

DelayedFrigidHoiho-size_restricted.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It didn’t work then, you don’t expect it to work now but you defend it blindly anyway

Huh, I'm the one saying G has no business on the 3rd line.
Back then, I just said I understood why, HCs do desperate things, but having 7 top 9 guys makes it hard to build 3 lines.
And we have the same problem today without Patrick, Lindblom and NAK.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
They've been on ice for just about all of our offense, but you think they're the problem.

You know that makes no sense, right? They're responsible for about all of the offense. The things you're saying are fundamentally untrue.

Edit: Why are you cherry picking ES vs all? Did PP points stop counting?

Oh...look at this unusual hot take

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
Huh, I'm the one saying G has no business on the 3rd line.
Back then, I just said I understood why, HCs do desperate things, but having 7 top 9 guys makes it hard to build 3 lines.
And we have the same problem today without Patrick, Lindblom and NAK.

Yet you continue to defend AV who has two top 9 guys sitting out (JVR, Frost) who could make a world of difference for out top 9 if used correctly and put in a position to succeed which is the coaches job.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
JVRs been perfectly fine. His usage has been the issue, not him as an individual.

It's not a coincidence that people are complaining about him the same way they complained about Voracek when he was with 4th liners and Giroux while he's with 4th liners. Hockey is not an individual sport.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I'm not reading that article, but if you're counting Hayes and TK as top players that need to produce for the Flyers to be successful, then it's not as much of a hot take as it looks.

Unless it's just shitting on G, Couts and Jake...

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Oh...look at this unusual hot take

How does this do anything to disprove that Giroux has 4 points in 5 games and V and C are also producing?

Because those things are hard facts. The Philly media is incapable of calling out coaches or bottom talent, they always default to the top guys whether they're to blame or not. This is because they are cognitively feeble.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
How does this do anything to disprove that Giroux has 4 points in 5 games and V and C are also producing?

Because those things are hard facts. The Philly media is incapable of calling out coaches or bottom talent, they always default to the top guys whether they're to blame or not. This is because they are cognitively feeble.
not just the media does it. we have a few faithful here that swims in that pool as well

Reactions: Beef Invictus

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Jake's intensity level stikes me as a guy who wants to win, not hates to lose.

The hates to lose people are competitive to the bone with everything, and won't be out worked, out "anythinged". Giroux strikes me this way...
You can't expect everyone on the team to be like that, but you need the "hates to lose" types if you want to win. I think Giroux and Provorov are that for the Flyers.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
From Sielski’s article:
“The Flyers had five players who scored 19 goals or more during the regular season: Konecny (24), Kevin Hayes (23), Sean Couturier (22), Claude Giroux (21), and van Riemsdyk (19). None of those five has scored in any of the team’s eight playoff games – the three in the round robin, the five against Montreal.”
And
“The Flyers have eight goals in this series, and six have come from two players: Jake Voracek and Joel Farabee.”
And
“No, the Flyers may not need those top five scorers to beat the team that ranked 24th in the NHL’s 32-team standings during the regular season. But they will need them to beat the next team, a better team.”

Conclusion: Not a “hot take” at all. Just the truth.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yet you continue to defend AV who has two top 9 guys sitting out (JVR, Frost) who could make a world of difference for out top 9 if used correctly and put in a position to succeed which is the coaches job.

Frost is not a top 9 guy yet, that's projecting. I doubt, based on how he played earlier in the season, that he'd make much of a difference.

JVR is in a class by himself, he's the girl with the curl, when she was good, she was very good, when she was bad (she was even better).
Think the problem with JVR is he needs the right center more than most players, and the only real option is Hayes.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
From Sielski’s article:
“The Flyers had five players who scored 19 goals or more during the regular season: Konecny (24), Kevin Hayes (23), Sean Couturier (22), Claude Giroux (21), and van Riemsdyk (19). None of those five has scored in any of the team’s eight playoff games – the three in the round robin, the five against Montreal.”
And
“The Flyers have eight goals in this series, and six have come from two players: Jake Voracek and Joel Farabee.”
And
“No, the Flyers may not need those top five scorers to beat the team that ranked 24th in the NHL’s 32-team standings during the regular season. But they will need them to beat the next team, a better team.”

Conclusion: Not a “hot take” at all. Just the truth.

yup just like when the eagles won the sb, your best players have to step up to win, they did that. the flyers best players have not, actually the biggest reason we havent advanced in 8 years.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
It’s always taken JVR a while to get into game shape. It’s no surprise he’s not sharp at all coming off both an injury & a long layoff. Problem is, when his offensive game isn’t sharp, he’s useless. He offers nothing else. He’s not good defensively, he’s not good on the boards, he’s not fast, & he doesn’t win puck races. This is why at ES Toronto played him on the 3rd line. He’s a one dimensional player, & if he doesn’t have that dimension he’s useless.

I do expect he’ll get another look tomorrow, & if so I hope he shows up.

Reactions: tucson83

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
As for Frost, he had 2 goals & 5 assists in 20 NHL games this season. His weaknesses at the professional level are pace, strength, turnovers, & inconsistent defensive positioning.

Gee, I wonder why they don’t trust him at 3C in the playoffs at age 20?

Reactions: tucson83
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad