Post-Game Talk: ECQF 5 | FLYERS (3) vs. Canadiens (5) | Wedn., Aug. 19, 2020 | Flyers lead series 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
Frost is not a top 9 guy yet, that's projecting. I doubt, based on how he played earlier in the season, that he'd make much of a difference.

JVR is in a class by himself, he's the girl with the curl, when she was good, she was very good, when she was bad (she was even better).
Think the problem with JVR is he needs the right center more than most players, and the only real option is Hayes.

No one knows if Frost is truly ready because your boys AV and Fletcher never gave him a true chance. Instead they brought in guys we KNOW are trash. And really he is just as ready as Grant and Thompson. Even if he is worse it doesn’t really matter anyway.

JVR could play with Couts, Hayes, Laughton, Frost, or even Giroux at center if they wanted to try it. But no, he is stuck with Grant and Thompson. No one is going to produce with those guys.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Flyers have not played well as a team in this series, sure Thompson sucks, but he's not alone, when you look at the metrics, there's a whole group of players putting up a mediocre performance.

Bunnaman, Thompson, Pitlick, Farabee are double digit negative xGFrel.
Grant, JVR, Niskanen and Provorov aren't a lot better.

top dogs: Voracek, NAK, Couts, Raffl, Laughton, Braun and Giroux.

Voracek is playing some of his best hockey b/c he seems to have taken my advice to heart and is playing with more heart, he's been going hard to the crease and making things happen.

Not surprising 3 of our top performers are bottom six types, NAK, Raffl and Laughton.
They fit the profile of what I've always wanted in the bottom six, size, speed and some snarl, with a modicum of skill.
Sandin should add that next year, Pitlick tries but I'm afraid he's on the other side of his career trajectory.
Bunnaman, Laczynski, Twarynski, Sushko, Rubtsov and Cates may fit that in the future.
Farabee will when he fills out, but like Lindblom, just because he can do it, he's too good to waste in that role.

JVR should move up to the second line and Laughton down because of their relative strengths and weaknesses.
But for that 2nd line to work, TK really has to pick up his game.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No one knows if Frost is truly ready because your boys AV and Fletcher never gave him a true chance. Instead they brought in guys we KNOW are trash. And really he is just as ready as Grant and Thompson. Even if he is worse it doesn’t really matter anyway.

JVR could play with Couts, Hayes, Laughton, Frost, or even Giroux at center if they wanted to try it. But no, he is stuck with Grant and Thompson. No one is going to produce with those guys.

He got 20 NHL games and a half season in the AHL, if he was ready, it would have been obvious (see Giroux).
His defense is below average right now, so he has to be productive offensively, not merely show up.

The only reason to play Frost now is because Thompson is terrible, but it probably makes more sense to play JVR, move Laughton to 3C and Grant to 4C than play Frost at this point.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
Flyers have not played well as a team in this series, sure Thompson sucks, but he's not alone, when you look at the metrics, there's a whole group of players putting up a mediocre performance.

Bunnaman, Thompson, Pitlick, Farabee are double digit negative xGFrel.
Grant, JVR, Niskanen and Provorov aren't a lot better.

top dogs: Voracek, NAK, Couts, Raffl, Laughton, Braun and Giroux.

Voracek is playing some of his best hockey b/c he seems to have taken my advice to heart and is playing with more heart, he's been going hard to the crease and making things happen.

Not surprising 3 of our top performers are bottom six types, NAK, Raffl and Laughton.
They fit the profile of what I've always wanted in the bottom six, size, speed and some snarl, with a modicum of skill.
Sandin should add that next year, Pitlick tries but I'm afraid he's on the other side of his career trajectory.
Bunnaman, Laczynski, Twarynski, Sushko, Rubtsov and Cates may fit that in the future.
Farabee will when he fills out, but like Lindblom, just because he can do it, he's too good to waste in that role.

JVR should move up to the second line and Laughton down because of their relative strengths and weaknesses.
But for that 2nd line to work, TK really has to pick up his game.

So basically most of the guys who have been stuck with Thompson and Grant have bad metrics.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
From Sielski’s article:
“The Flyers had five players who scored 19 goals or more during the regular season: Konecny (24), Kevin Hayes (23), Sean Couturier (22), Claude Giroux (21), and van Riemsdyk (19). None of those five has scored in any of the team’s eight playoff games – the three in the round robin, the five against Montreal.”
And
“The Flyers have eight goals in this series, and six have come from two players: Jake Voracek and Joel Farabee.”
And
“No, the Flyers may not need those top five scorers to beat the team that ranked 24th in the NHL’s 32-team standings during the regular season. But they will need them to beat the next team, a better team.”

Conclusion: Not a “hot take” at all. Just the truth.

I know you know this, but the hot take doesn't mean something isn't true on the surface. It means that it's written just for attention. The problem isn't simply the Flyers best players need to score goals in order to win. Yes, they need to do that, but you're well aware their are intricacies and nuances to the game that go deeper than the surface. In other words, hockey isn't just go and score more than the other team.

Now, you and I can disagree one the reasons as to why those players are not scoring, but just saying those players need to score more isn't really addressing any real issue.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I’m with you but Thompson has the same weaknesses
Thompson is there because he wins faceoffs, has tons of PKing experience, & plays with an edge (& as we saw last night, playoffs often get physical & nasty). Faceoffs being #1.

Frost doesn’t bring any of that. So for a 4th line / PKing role, that’s why he’s played.

I actually thought he made some good defensive plays in Game 4. I was pissed as hell at his turnovers in Game 5, & if they decide to make Grant the 4C & scratch Thompson it’s fine with me.

Reactions: tucson83

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I know you know this, but the hot take doesn't mean something isn't true on the surface. It means that it's written just for attention. The problem isn't simply the Flyers best players need to score goals in order to win. Yes, they need to do that, but you're well aware their are intricacies and nuances to the game that go deeper than the surface. In other words, hockey isn't just go and score more than the other team.

Now, you and I can disagree one the reasons as to why those players are not scoring, but just saying those players need to score more isn't really addressing any real issue.
I think he’s simply raising a valid point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad