Post-Game Talk: ECQF 3 (Flyers lead series 2-1): FLYERS 1 vs. Canadiens 0, Sunday, Aug. 16, 2020

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
We all want the Cup. Game 2 was terrible, but I'm not going to panic until they show me that game wasn't an outlier.
This series hasn't been pretty so far, but that's playoff hockey. Games are tight and often scoring is low. We shouldn't always focus on the what ifs.

We have game 1, and game 3 was a trainwreck. It's not an outlier. It has been the norm so far. Playoff hockey isn't this bad. From what we've seen so far, neither of these teams is leaving the next round, and that's a problem for us. I'll be happier and excited when I once again can rest assured that this isn't futile and going nowhere. I was plenty excited after the round robin. Then the slopshow began.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
My general rule is that if you can’t trust a guy to play for more than 5 minutes than you shouldn’t dress them in the first place. For better or worse that really doesn’t anything for anybody.

Reactions: Striiker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Really? You're leaning this heavily on blocked shots to make a sweeping generalization?

Yes, because the willing to give and take hits, and block shots is an important part of the game.

Blocking shots has real value on defense, players who shy from taking hits and give up the puck are detriments, players who don't hit at all are useless on the forecheck (unless they're really fast and handy with a stick).

Voracek's lack of physicality has hurt him as he ages, and it's good to see him go to the net and play with more of a snarl, which is what he needs to do to be a top 6 forward in his 30s, same with JVR. You can't be effective as a finesse player if you can't skate.

Vorobyev's lack of physicality, combined with average speed and offensive skills (for a NHL player) is why he's in the KHL.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yes, because the willing to give and take hits, and block shots is an important part of the game.

Blocking shots has real value on defense, players who shy from taking hits and give up the puck are detriments, players who don't hit at all are useless on the forecheck (unless they're really fast and handy with a stick).

Voracek's lack of physicality has hurt him as he ages, and it's good to see him go to the net and play with more of a snarl, which is what he needs to do to be a top 6 forward in his 30s, same with JVR. You can't be effective as a finesse player if you can't skate.

Vorobyev's lack of physicality, combined with average speed and offensive skills (for a NHL player) is why he's in the KHL.

Couturier has the same amount of blocked shots as Laughton, but with far more time. Does that mean Couturier has less heart than Laughton?

JVR has more than Giroux. So JVR has more heart than Giroux?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Couturier has the same amount of blocked shots as Laughton, but with far more time. Does that mean Couturier has less heart than Laughton?

Its amazing how people throw random stats and narratives together, then watch them fall apart in front of their eyes.

At some poiint - just admit you dont watch hockey. ITs a lot easier for everyone that way.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Kids are nasty. My 18 yo cousin works at a bistro down the shore so she stays down most of the summer. She knows the lifeguards and stuff, goes to parties sometimes. Crushes on a few of the guards...classic shit

She got out of the water today (I stayed in for a few extra minutes to catch one last wave) and when she passed the lifeguard (one she isn't crushing on) she said hi and he goes "so there's some conspiracy theories floating around....I've been talking to people and we kind of think you're f***ing your cousins"

Now, me and my brother don't care because we're above that petty drama, but she did because that's her demographic, and she was hurt. It's just baffling that some people can be so terrible to people. Don't be terrible to people.

I told her to let it roll off her back. Also told her it wasn't her fault that this guy is jealous of a) me and my bro being close to her and b) her actually having family who cares about her.

She seemed to take that well, at least. She's going off to college here in a few days so she'll be able to put that in the past quickly.

Moral of the story: don't be a dick. I also politely told the guard to go f*** himself shortly thereafter, but was actually not mean about it. Told him "he shouldn't believe everything he hears", more or less with no context. But he knew what I meant because he didn't say anything

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Kids are nasty. My 18 yo cousin works at a bistro down the shore so she stays down most of the summer. She knows the lifeguards and stuff, goes to parties sometimes. Crushes on a few of the guards...classic shit

She got out of the water today (I stayed in for a few extra minutes to catch one last wave) and when she passed the lifeguard (one she isn't crushing on) she said hi and he goes "so there's some conspiracy theories floating around....I've been talking to people and we kind of think you're f***ing your cousins"

Now, me and my brother don't care because we're above that petty drama, but she did because that's her demographic, and she was hurt. It's just baffling that some people can be so terrible to people. Don't be terrible to people.

I told her to let it roll off her back. Also told her it wasn't her fault that this guy is jealous of a) me and my bro being close to her and b) her actually having family who cares about her.

She seemed to take that well, at least. She's going off to college here in a few days so she'll be able to put that in the past quickly.

Moral of the story: don't be a dick. I also politely told the guard to go f*** himself shortly thereafter, but was actually not mean about it. Told him "he shouldn't believe everything he hears", more or less with no context. But he knew what I meant because he didn't say anything

I can confirm she isnt sleeping with her cousins. She's way too busy for extracurriculars.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Cherry picking - Vorobyev is a 4th line center who plays like a 2C in terms of style, but not in terms of effectiveness.

JVR is a finesse player, which is why he drives everyone nuts, because with that body he should own the crease, but he's a productive finesse player. If he actually used that big body, he could take his game up another level. The same is true of Hayes, who doesn't use his size and strength to best advantage, compare to Couts. Using your body is a lot more than hitting people. Voracek and Hayes use their size to gain zone entry, which is a plus for them. But they don't take advantage of their size near the crease.

All you had to do was watch Vorobyev skate around in the offensive zone, playing to try to intercept passes but staying out of the corners and traffic. The reason he's effective on the PK is he stays at the top of the zone and uses his reach to intercept passes like Hayes. But 5x5 he's a cipher.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Cherry picking - Vorobyev is a 4th line center who plays like a 2C in terms of style, but not in terms of effectiveness.

JVR is a finesse player, which is why he drives everyone nuts, because with that body he should own the crease, but he's a productive finesse player. If he actually used that big body, he could take his game up another level. The same is true of Hayes, who doesn't use his size and strength to best advantage, compare to Couts. Using your body is a lot more than hitting people. Voracek and Hayes use their size to gain zone entry, which is a plus for them. But they don't take advantage of their size near the crease.

All you had to do was watch Vorobyev skate around in the offensive zone, playing to try to intercept passes but staying out of the corners and traffic. The reason he's effective on the PK is he stays at the top of the zone and uses his reach to intercept passes like Hayes. But 5x5 he's a cipher.

Oh, interesting, so you can make all kind of exceptions when your logic collapses, but in the case of Vorobyev alone it's bulletproof and there's simply nothing at all that his coaches could have done to rectify this problem?

Quite a changing standard. Makes me thing this shot blocking logic isn't all that firm or reliable.

Reactions: Starat327

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

You should go on the road with this act. Id buy a ticket.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I’m case anyone was fooled, the people going on about “wHy iS eVeRyoNe So mIsErAbLe? wE’rE wInNiNg!” are literally just doing it to defend the staff. They’re going to pretend that there’s no reason for people to be unhappy with the team because they cant admit that the staff is doing a horrible job. :laugh: They’ve done this all year whenever people pointed out huge problems.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I’m case anyone was fooled, the people going on about “wHy iS eVeRyoNe So mIsErAbLe? wE’rE wInNiNg!” are literally just doing it to defend the staff. They’re going to pretend that there’s no reason for people to be unhappy with the team because they cant admit that the staff is doing a horrible job. :laugh: They’ve done this all year whenever people pointed out huge problems.

That’s not necessarily everyone. A lot of people just see them winning and hey they’re winning so everything is sunshine and rainbows. It’s very #Authentic with how they go about it. Wins are all that matters, Eagles season is starting up soon so they’ll just move onto that.

But, yes a lot of people are also just doing it to defend the staff.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
That’s not necessarily everyone. A lot of people just see them winning and hey they’re winning so everything is sunshine and rainbows. It’s very #Authentic with how they go about it. Wins are all that matters, Eagles season is starting up soon so they’ll just move onto that.

But, yes a lot of people are also just doing it to defend the staff.
Sure, some people are genuinely fine with whatever.

But I'm talking about the people scolding others for having the nerve to question the staff.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
If you worked your ass off for three years, how come you weren't busting your butt every shift for those 15 shifts a night?
That was the difference this year with NAK, when he returned he had realized that nothing is given, it must be taken.

That's what stands out about Pitlick, have you ever seen him coast through a shift?

Your takeaway from watching NAK is that he didn’t “bust his butt” last season? This kid is ALL butt busting ALL the time. He had a penchant for line crossing hits in the AHL, he was so amped up. I’m shocked he doesn’t need a catheter at this point with all that butt busting.

He didn’t get enough usage to make any noticeable impact under a totally risk averse, youth fearful coach. Despite stellar 5v5 stats, the previous management didn’t deem him worthy of AHL special teams time, time he gets in the NHL now. The current management totally misevaluated him as well. It’s okay to say NAK was mismanaged every step of the way and isn’t to blame.

Last edited:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Your takeaway from watching NAK is that he didn’t “bust his butt” last season? This kid is ALL butt busting ALL the time. He had a penchant for line crossing hits in the AHL, he was so amped up. I’m shocked he doesn’t need a catheter at this point. He didn’t get enough usage to make any noticeable impact under a totally risk averse, fearful coach. Despite stellar 5v5 stats, the previous management didn’t deem him worthy of special teams time. The current management totally misevaluated him as well. It’s okay to say NAK was mismanaged every step of the way and isn’t to blame.

You realize who you're talking to, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad