Series Talk: ECQ: Boston Bruins (3-3) Toronto Maple Leafs. GAME 7 AWAITS!

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Definitely agree here. We got lucky that the puck Dermott gave up to was Nash not Pasta. Reilly gave up the puck god knows how many times in that second period before Marner scored. We got lucky there

I wouldn't mind seeing Dermott seat off for Carrick. If you are going to play him 9 mins, just play Carrick. At least Carrick can shoot the puck has decent puck carrying skills. Also Carrick is much feistier.
I think Borgman would have excelled in this series. He'll get his chance in the future

Are you implying Dermott doesn’t have “decent puck carrying skills”?

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
nah.

Boston has been the slightly better team this series. Crazy thing is that the Leafs haven't actually played well this series so far. The 3rd period was the closest they've come to playing their game imo.

There is no such thing as momentum. Game 7 will be tougher than any game so far and Boston are still the favorites. Leafs can't afford to play like they did most of the game last night, or for most of the series so far, tbh.

Agree with all this.

we were all saying that in 2013 and look what happened there

Um, I'm pretty sure we weren't all saying that, far from it. Saying so back then was ... let's say overly optimistic. Saying so now is just stating the obvious.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

Brown Cow eh? :laugh:

tenor.gif

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Not worried about Dermott at all. Like all rookies and young players coming into the NHL, the playoffs are an entirely different beast. There is literally no room to operate, you have to make plays fast and remain calm while under pressure. That means you can't make several blind passes that end up on the opponent's stick. Several Leafs have been victimized by this, and that is one thing I definitely want to see fixed for Game 7.

The B's could have scored a few on some of his blind passes. Dermott can make fast plays, but he has struggled with being calm and taking advantage of the lack of space. These are great lessons he will take with him and learn from so he's better for it moving forward these playoffs and more so next year. He's not the only young dman struggling on both teams. It happens.

Reactions: kk87 and NiftyMits

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm saying the outcome of game 7 doesn't impact my assessment of this season as a success

I think I'd say the season is a success even if we lose game 7 but not a smashing success if that makes sense. I certainly expected to make the playoffs which we did. I also expected that once in the playoffs, we would play at least as well as we did last season and that so far, I'm not sure I can say that )even though we have won 3 games as opposed to the 2 games we won last year). So I think we've crossed the success "threshold" but not by all that much. Win tomorrow night though and that definitely bumps it up a notch and gives a chance to go up a few more notches so ... GO LEAFS GO!!!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Not worried about Dermott at all. Like all rookies and young players coming into the NHL, the playoffs are an entirely different beast. There is literally no room to operate, you have to make plays fast and remain calm while under pressure. That means you can't make several blind passes that end up on the opponent's stick. Several Leafs have been victimized by this, and that is one thing I definitely want to see fixed for Game 7.

The B's could have scored a few on some of his blind passes. Dermott can make fast plays, but he has struggled with being calm and taking advantage of the lack of space. These are great lessons he will take with him and learn from so he's better for it moving forward these playoffs and more so next year. He's not the only young dman struggling on both teams. It happens.

Agree 100%.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
kadri tipped that, no?

isn't that a great pad save off a tip right in in front?
It is !

Kadri got an assist on that, so I wonder if he deflects it and that impacted the rebound control. I don't really count that as a lucky break tbh.
Yep.

kadri.tip.genius.jpg

So it wasn't a crappy save ... it was a perfect tip by Kadri.
Even better !

Reactions: Eb

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I think I'd say the season is a success even if we lose game 7 but not a smashing success if that makes sense. I certainly expected to make the playoffs which we did. I also expected that once in the playoffs, we would play at least as well as we did last season and that so far, I'm not sure I can say that )even though we have won 3 games as opposed to the 2 games we won last year). So I think we've crossed the success "threshold" but not by all that much. Win tomorrow night though and that definitely bumps it up a notch and gives a chance to go up a few more notches so ... GO LEAFS GO!!!
ya I agree, a series win against a good opponent would be another big feather in our cap, maybe especially coming back from the bring of elimination with 3 straight wins.

I think that the refereeing decision to let all the interference calls go really plays into Boston's hand too, they're built for that and I don't think we are. I don't remember noticing that at all last year, so that little item makes it harder to compare from one playoff to the next for me. In the East I think there's alot fewer teams that are built like Boston to "play heavy" (or dirty) than there are in the west, so in future playoffs we'll be up against teams that give more space than Boston does, and that will take less advantage of the refs forgetting what interference is. We were also missing our forward who is best equipped to play in this environment in games 2-4, Kadri seems to be thriving so I think he was a big loss for those games

I'm on the same page though, I'm not indifferent to a win tomorrow night at all, just think that we've improved against last year in the big picture already so if we do lose it's not a massive let down

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Potentially losing in Game 7 instead of Game 6 would be viewed as somewhat of a step forward IMO, but nonetheless a tough break considering the battling back from being down.

We've denied them two chances to close the series out and now it's one game where anything figures to be possible. Momentum as a factor or not, their once fairly firm grip on the series has become much more tenuous. Have to hope to leverage that to an advantage.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Babs... please don't.

I don't think he will based on what he said. If Komarov was going to come back in, he wouldn't have mentioned the speed of the game.

The Leafs got demolished the 2 games Leo played in. The biggest part of that was Leo's line getting absolutely demolished by the Bergy line, both at even strength and on the PK.

it would be utter insanity to put him back in.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It is !

Yep.

View attachment 116605

So it wasn't a crappy save ... it was a perfect tip by Kadri.
Even better !

It's amazing, really - people are actually blaming Rask for this incredible save off a tip from 30+ goal scorer Nazem Kadri sitting all alone at the top of the crease.

Freddy would be getting fellated for his awesomeness and the Leafs' D ripped for their uselessness for this.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Babcock playing games in the media. Babcock would make komarov get all his gear on today in readiness to play him tomorrow. The only question is who is coming out Johnsson or Kapanen. Kapanen PK's so id lean toward Johnsson even though he doesn't deserve to be out
I actually figured it was the other way around - Suggesting that Leo might play is the bait, in my opinion. We'll find out tomorrow, I guess.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I actually figured it was the other way around - Suggesting that Leo might play is the bait, in my opinion. We'll find out tomorrow, I guess.

could be, but babcock really rates what komarov brings. I will be ecstatic if Komarov doesn't play

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
The Leafs got demolished the 2 games Leo played in. The biggest part of that was Leo's line getting absolutely demolished by the Bergy line, both at even strength and on the PK.

it would be utter insanity to put him back in.

I disagree. Game 7 is game 7. I think Komarov should be in the game on the 4th line. His style of play suits game 7 better then Johnsson at this time. I think Babcock would be a fool not to reinsert him into the lineup for this crucial game. Vet who was around the last time we lost to Bruins, would want to make up for that slip up. He's truculant, an agitator and better defensively.

Komarov for me should be back in for game 7

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Komarov better not be back in.

Babcock is just playing mind games. There is no way Komarov is playing another game in this series (it should actually be the entire playoffs, should we advance).

Babcock is a slow learner but once he learns, he doesn't make dumb mistakes.

He benched Matt Martin and we barely saw him again, and he wasn't stupid to start him in the playoffs as a reactionary move after the first two games.

Komarov has probably played his last game as a Leaf barring injuries. Johnsson and Kapanen are too good.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
What a pretty play by Kadri "Nasty" despite taking all the beating in front of net - he is so big for this team

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If the Bruins are tiring as a result of playing so many games down the stretch and chasing the Leafs for 6 games, then you cannot let up on them now. No way is Babs stupid enough to make any lineup changes at this point. If we go down, it will be with this lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad