ECHL Confirms Expansions for Coralville, Iowa & Trois-Rivières, Québec (2021-22)

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
For anybody wondering there the **** Coralville is, it's a suburb of Iowa City.

For anybody now wondering where the **** Iowa City is, it's a town to the south of Cedar Rapids.

For anybody now wondering there the **** Cedar Rapids is, it's in eastern Iowa.

*six hours later*

.... it's in the Laniakea Supercluster.

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
the only question now is which NHL Team will align w/ Coralville..... Trois Rivieres, as everyone is well aware, will be the Canadiens affiliate, and is owned by Deacon Investments, aka Dean MacDonald, who also owns/operates Newfoundland.

ecco

Jul 18, 2006
Iowa
the only question now is which NHL Team will align w/ Coralville..... Trois Rivieres, as everyone is well aware, will be the Canadiens affiliate, and is owned by Deacon Investments, aka Dean MacDonald, who also owns/operates Newfoundland.
Deacon is actually going to own Coralville as well. As for an NHL team, it looks like St. Louis doesn't have an ECHL affiliate, so maybe them?

I'm curious to see what they come up with for a name. Guessing they will go with "Iowa" instead of "Coralville" in the name. I know there used to be an ECHL team called the Ice Hawks, but maybe Iowa Ice Hawks (Iowa is the Hawkeye state and Coralville is ~10 minutes from the University of Iowa, where the Iowa Hawkeyes play)?

Reactions: Lo97 and axecrew

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Deacon is actually going to own Coralville as well. As for an NHL team, it looks like St. Louis doesn't have an ECHL affiliate, so maybe them?

I'm curious to see what they come up with for a name. Guessing they will go with "Iowa" instead of "Coralville" in the name. I know there used to be an ECHL team called the Ice Hawks, but maybe Iowa Ice Hawks (Iowa is the Hawkeye state and Coralville is ~10 minutes from the University of Iowa, where the Iowa Hawkeyes play)?
I've heard Minnesota might be but everything over ECHL expansion has been solely focused on T-R , the reason I say that, the Wild have their affiliate in Des Moines as do the T-Wolves

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
For anybody wondering there the **** Coralville is, it's a suburb of Iowa City.

For anybody now wondering where the **** Iowa City is, it's a town to the south of Cedar Rapids.

For anybody now wondering there the **** Cedar Rapids is, it's in eastern Iowa.

*six hours later*

.... it's in the Laniakea Supercluster.

It's somewhere on Planet Earth, where they make the loose meat sandwiches.

Reactions: JMCx4

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

Minnesota has been the long-rumored affiliate. Makes the most sense with Deacon's current OP of affiliating with nearby teams. Minnesota's agreement with Allen also is up at the end of this season.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... I'm curious to see what they come up with for a name. Guessing they will go with "Iowa" instead of "Coralville" in the name. I know there used to be an ECHL team called the Ice Hawks, but maybe Iowa Ice Hawks (Iowa is the Hawkeye state and Coralville is ~10 minutes from the University of Iowa, where the Iowa Hawkeyes play)?
If they affiliate with DSM and MN, maybe they'll be "The Iowa Wild Hawks." :popcorn:

ETA: Or "WildHawks" for those who miss the days of sports teams with two capital letters in their names.

Reactions: Roadhog

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Hopefully Trois Rivieres can trademark La Tonnerre - a superfecta of Thunder across the league in two languages and four cities would be peak minor league hockey.

Reactions: JMCx4

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
I've heard Minnesota might be but everything over ECHL expansion has been solely focused on T-R , the reason I say that, the Wild have their affiliate in Des Moines as do the T-Wolves

The Wild were also affiliated with the Quad City Mallards for years with their AHL team in nearby Des Moines. It would make a lot of sense for the Wild to affiliate with the new Iowa team.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
The Wild were also affiliated with the Quad City Mallards for years with their AHL team in nearby Des Moines. It would make a lot of sense for the Wild to affiliate with the new Iowa team.
I know quite a few never-say-die QC Mallards fans who are hoping for that "sense" to become a reality. But "sense" isn't an historically dominant characteristic of the minor pro hockey business. :badidea:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
another rumor that's being floated is OVG is looking to add Savannah, GA as an expansion target by 2022/23..... what does that mean for Atlanta?

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
another rumor that's being floated is OVG is looking to add Savannah, GA as an expansion target by 2022/23..... what does that mean for Atlanta?
It means the Atlanta Gladiators franchise gets sold to new Savannah owners ... for a 3rd-round pick & one of those HUGE bags of buttered popcorn. :popcorn:

Reactions: axecrew

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
It means the Atlanta Gladiators franchise gets sold to new Savannah owners ... for a 3rd-round pick & one of those HUGE bags of buttered popcorn. :popcorn:
this is an expansion team.....Atlanta will likely be back, but between the Savannah media, the ECHL and Commissioner Crelin being there on Wednesday.... between that and the WTOC report out of the SC Stingrays region of Charleston this came totally out of the blue

Hopefully, OVG will explain this...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad