ECF Game 1 | Senators @ Penguins | 7:00 PM ET | NBC CBC SN TVAS PART II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
I feel like the penguins are just getting through the playoffs riding great goaltending and finishing on their chance (which is all you need to be honest I guess) but they've been outplayed (outchanced, outshot anyways) in each of their series it seems, even Columbus. I wouldn't count the Sens out yet.

That being said, the Sens had the lead for a longer period of time in this game than they did all of last series combined so :laugh: We'll see what happens I guess.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

What in the merciful **** is Mike Sullivan talking about? They had 36% score-adjusted CF% tonight. Measuring by either possession or threat, there wasn't much to like about the Penguins 'zone time'.

:laugh:

He also said he's have to go back and look at the tape , and that was his initial feeling post game... He said They had a lot of zone time and passed up on shots trying to make plays and that they would have to shoot more to create rebounds... So if you just pick bits and pieces.....

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I feel like the penguins are just getting through the playoffs riding great goaltending and finishing on their chance (which is all you need to be honest I guess) but they've been outplayed (outchanced, outshot anyways) in each of their series it seems, even Columbus. I wouldn't count the Sens out yet.

That being said, the Sens had the lead for a longer period of time in this game than they did all of last series combined so :laugh: We'll see what happens I guess.

Definitely the Capitals series, I don't really agree with the Columbus series. You don't get outplayed while simultaneously winning the series in 5 games. Bobrovsky is the only reason that series was so short, but Bob is also a part of the Jackets. Realistically, the Penguins probably shouldn't even still be in the playoffs at this point :laugh:

They've definitely surpassed my expectations in the playoffs, but I'd still prefer them not looking like absolute garbage if they're going to lose.

I really want to see the Penguins change up their lineup a good amount for game 2. Put back together Sheary-Crosby-Guentzel (I don't care how many times it got scored on against Columbus, it was scoring at will), put Malkin with Rust, separate Kessel and Malkin and put in Streit for Hainsey. The Penguins have only averaged 2 goals per game in their last 6 games (2-4 in those games), that's flat out unacceptable for a team with Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Guentzel, Hornqvist and Sheary as your top forwards.

Last edited:

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
I don't think anyone is counting us out (Sens). We have the series lead and we're stifling the Penguins as well. It's in their court now, we'll see Monday what transpires.

They'll be focused, no worries.

PensFever71

Apr 7, 2008
Pittsburgh
He also said he's have to go back and look at the tape , and that was his initial feeling post game... He said They had a lot of zone time and passed up on shots trying to make plays and that they would have to shoot more to create rebounds... So if you just pick bits and pieces.....

Pretty much sums it up. The penguins will pass on a B shot opportunity to try to open up an A+ chance. When it works, it dazzles, when it doesn't it, it is their downfall.

PensFever71

Apr 7, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't think anyone is counting us out (Sens). We have the series lead and we're stifling the Penguins as well. It's in their court now, we'll see Monday what transpires.

They'll be focused, no worries.

You don't make it to the conference finals by mistake and paper champs don't win cups. It's going to be a great series.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Because I have that much confidence in Sullivan.

Congratulations. Unfortunately, Sullivan didn't work his magic tonight. It's the players who skate, defend, score, hit, etc. Coach worship is overrated in every sport. The Pens are good because of their players ... the coaches get way too much credit / blame for pretty much being baby sitters. Sullivan the Great didn't do much prior until inheriting the Penguins roster.

PensFever71

Apr 7, 2008
Pittsburgh
Congratulations. Unfortunately, Sullivan didn't work his magic tonight. It's the players who skate, defend, score, hit, etc. Coach worship is overrated in every sport. The Pens are good because of their players ... the coaches get way too much credit / blame for pretty much being baby sitters. Sullivan the Great didn't do much prior until inheriting the Penguins roster.

By this logic... I could coach.

Captain And Coke

Apr 29, 2011
Idk, I feel like Malkin has had a lot of nights where he didn't really seem to do much or you didn't notice him much, yet still ended up with 2 points. That's how I feel he has played in most of the playoffs. I noticed him more tonight than I have in a lot of the games in the playoffs.

I feel the same way. He doesn't seem to look dangerous when he's carrying the puck or entering the offensive zone. It's almost like he's not hitting that next level gear we all know he's capable of.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB

I don't know what to say if you think a coach is merely a "baby sitter."

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
Wins the game, yet is still whining about the officiating. And here I thought this series would be better than the Capitals series on the main board, silly me.

If you whine when you lose, it makes you sound like a big baby. If you offer constructive criticism when you win, you're just being helpful.

mynameisnick4

Jan 18, 2012
Pittsburgh
Didn't watch the game (listened to it, was driving) but I had a feeling they were going to have a let down game after closing out Washington. Though the low shot trend seems to have continued. The Pens have been outshot in every game but one in these playoffs I believe, that's a bit concerning.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Unfortunately a great series will not translate into great hockey.

Sens are so boring. :cry:

Why aren't we allowed to waltz through the neutral zone and get breakaway after breakaway? :cry:

Meanwhile, when Anaheim goes into a 1-3-1 after getting a lead on Edmonton in Game 7, it's good defensive play, and Getzlaf being a god. :laugh:

When the Pens go into a shell when they go up by 2 against Washington in Game 7, it's the Capitals giving up, and Ovechkin being a choker. :laugh:

KingBilly

Oct 18, 2008

What in the merciful **** is Mike Sullivan talking about? They had 36% score-adjusted CF% tonight. Measuring by either possession or threat, there wasn't much to like about the Penguins 'zone time'.

:laugh:

If anything, the fact they pushed it to OT is a testament to the power of PIT's gamebreakers to score against the grain on very few shots/attempts.

I mean, they had a ton of perimeter zone time and possession generally. And Ottawa had an above average game keeping them to the outside. If the Penguins crack that perimeter they'd be in good shape. Possession-wise they obviously dominated.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
When the Pens go into a shell when they go up by 2 against Washington in Game 7, it's the Capitals giving up, and Ovechkin being a choker. :laugh:

The Penguins didn't go into a shell when they went up by 2 against Washington, Washington was the team that went into the shell. The Penguins were utterly dominant in that 3rd period after getting that 2nd goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad