GDT: ECF Game 1: Panthers @ Hurricanes | 8:00 p.m. on TNT

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
@DaveG @Navin R Slavin @Boom Boom Apathy @WHOEVERTHEHELL ELSE BEEN HERE SINCE BEFORE 09' WE NEED YOUR HIGH EFFORT OLD SCHOOL GDT MAGIC. GET OF YOUR ROCKER, SHAVE YOUR FACE AND YOUR ASS AND WRITE US UP SOMETHING MAGICAL!!!

THIS IS THE YEAR OF DESTINY!!

I cant remember the last time we had a high effort GDT. Literally might have been like 2009?

Even then we just posted a sinking boat in every thread…

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
what a game. both sides could have won. I know it's early but do remember if you have to play games like this one, even if you win you lose, can you imagine if all the games are like this one YIKS. what on earth are you going to have in the tank for the cup games.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Put Drury in between Mac and PP and just tell them to wreck shop.
Yes, I'd like to see that and was thinking that this morning. They'd be way faster than our current 4th line, hit a lot more, and have more shots. Obviously Poolparty and Mac will be rested too.

Even if they don't score, that's a high energy 4th line that easily could energize the rest of our roster after one or more good shifts.

I don't see Rod doing that though; certainly not yet at least. At best, he'll replace Stepan with either Poolparty or Mac. I think we need to go all in with maximizing our offense on the 4th line though.

*Edit* I also wonder if adding both (preferably IMO), or at least one of Poolparty or Mac on the 4th line, might be a needed mental/morale boost/jolt of energy for the team after reading people (on the main board) going in the record books saying the team that wins a 4th OT game, is the team who historically wins the series more often than not.

Having a shakeup, even on the 4th line, might be needed.

Last edited:

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Really want to give a shout out to Jarvis and the way he’s evolved throughout these playoffs, kid has stepped up and is producing when it matters most. He’s got such great character and i’m proud of him and hope he can really use this as a springboard for his career moving forward. Now that i’m almost 30 and i’m thinking about what he’s doing at 21 it’s just so impressive to see a kid do what he’s doing.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Yes, I'd like to see that and was thinking that this morning. They'd be way faster than our current 4th line, hit a lot more, and have more shots. Obviously Poolparty and Mac will be rested too.

Even if they don't score, that's a high energy 4th line that easily could energize the rest of our roster after one or more good shifts.

I don't see Rod doing that though; certainly not yet at least. At best, he'll replace Stepan with either Poolparty or Mac. I think we need to go all in with maximizing our offense on the 4th line though.

*Edit* I also wonder if adding both (preferably IMO), or at least one of Poolparty or Mac on the 4th line, might be a needed mental/morale boost/jolt of energy for the team after reading people (on the main board) going in the record books saying the team that wins a 4th OT game, is the team who historically wins the series more often than not.

Having a shakeup, even on the 4th line, might be needed.
And I think if you are going to do it it needs to be game 2 when you can still match them up against the 4th for Florida and you can be less concerned with them being caught against Barkov or Bennet.

Reactions: geehaad and Sigurd

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Someone was going to make a small mistake somewhere. They have a handful of guys that can bury that mistake. I’m actually glad it was Slavin and Burns so we don’t melt down over one of the other guys.

We survived their early OT push….which is impressive given how good they are early in OT. We had a handful of good chances to win it. Get back on the horse and let’s go.

In my opinion, quadruple overtime hockey is less hockey than 3 v 3 or a shootout. It's beyond 'wanting it' or 'conditioning'.

The goalies were still in it. A few skaters on both sides still had a little bit to give, but people's bodies were just failing.

It'd be hard to be mad at anyone for anything at the end of that.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
And I think if you are going to do it it needs to be game 2 when you can still match them up against the 4th for Florida and you can be less concerned with them being caught against Barkov or Bennet.
Exactly.

I was thinking that the Canes should feel more comfortable with adding Poolparty and Mac since they'll have the last line change at home. So, any concerns about them not being as steady defensively as Stastny and Stepan isn't a big deal at home. Meanwhile, they bring a lot more to the team IMO; especially with them being the only rested forwards since they were scratched.

It seems like low hanging fruit to me to slot them in the lineup. Maybe put TT on the 4th line like Faulker 27 said, and add one of Poolparty or Mac to the 3rd line as a big and fast winger.

Or heck, they can swap Drury and TT since Drury and his linemates on the 3rd line were doing well against NJ, and then put either Poolparty or Mac in place of Stepan. That doesn't sound bad either.
Maybe this is heresy, but I kinda feel like one full 5v5 OT is enough, and then step down to 4v4 and then 3v3.
Yeah, there's a decent amount of vocal fans happy with the endless 5v5 OTs, but I truly think it needs to change for several reasons. For a middle ground, they can go to 3v3 in triple overtime onwards while still having 5v5 in the first two overtimes. I think that would be the safest change to have the best of both worlds to appease both sides of the debate.
In my opinion, quadruple overtime hockey is less hockey than 3 v 3 or a shootout. It's beyond 'wanting it' or 'conditioning'.

The goalies were still in it. A few skaters on both sides still had a little bit to give, but people's bodies were just failing.

It'd be hard to be mad at anyone for anything at the end of that.
Spot on. This is the biggest reason IMO to change how playoff OTs are currently. Like I said, I think they need to change it to 3v3 (since that's how it is in the regular season) in triple overtime onwards.

After double overtime, we are past the point of players still having a lot left in the tank. Plus, for the fans, they don't have to stay up till 2 am to watch a game almost go into the 5th OT because, with them reducing the amount of players, it won't last that long anymore.

If it somehow would, there would still be more offense then what we saw in 3OT onwards where they were just trying not to make a mistake and get off the ice as quickly as possible.

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
Something epic about those endless OTs in the playoffs for me. But, who knows, one more quadruple OT loss could change my mind ha!

Anyway, come on, who's stepping up for Game 2 GDT? @Tryamw? I know you ended the world or whatever with your last GDT, but did we win that game?

Last edited:

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho

Southern hockey for the win...

96787317-fd5b-4414-b612-a4adedf431b9_text.gif

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Oh, forgot to tell y'all that trying to rideshare to the game was a disaster. The first guy who picks my up (Lyft) was a little old white dude in a paper mask. He looks at me as soon as I get in and goes "If you're going to the arena, and there's traffic, I'm not taking you all the way there" I was like "Uhhh...there's gonna be traffic, don't worry, I'll guide you around it to the rideshare drop off" and he was like "Nope, as soon as we hit traffic you're out", and then has the audacity to start driving. So I yell at him to stop. He stops, is unable to answer why the hell he'd take the ride if he didn't want to go to the arena, so I then viciously curse him and get out.

2nd driver (Uber) shows up, Korean guy cannot speak a lick of English. GPS is not going to get him to the rideshare dropoff. Getting him to take Blue Ridge to Trinity was a 15 min ordeal of grunting and groaning and wild gesticulations to facilitate the necessary turns and lane changes. Ugh, what a nightmare.

Rideshare apps were amazing when they first came out but have become increasingly untenable as our society continues its collapse. Dundon! Bring back the Caniac Coach!!

stevewin

Oct 21, 2016
PNC was rocking last night.
Willy posted this pic in the OT.
'Canes will come back hard for the win on Saturday.

Fun fact. I was one of the many who left after the overturned goal then stormed back in when we heard the cries of "No Goal!" spreading amongst the masses. Just before that Justin Williams passed right in front of us outside the arena on the way to his car with daughter in tow. Not known if he came back or if she went to school Fri

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Oh, forgot to tell y'all that trying to rideshare to the game was a disaster. The first guy who picks my up (Lyft) was a little old white dude in a paper mask. He looks at me as soon as I get in and goes "If you're going to the arena, and there's traffic, I'm not taking you all the way there" I was like "Uhhh...there's gonna be traffic, don't worry, I'll guide you around it to the rideshare drop off" and he was like "Nope, as soon as we hit traffic you're out", and then has the audacity to start driving. So I yell at him to stop. He stops, is unable to answer why the hell he'd take the ride if he didn't want to go to the arena, so I then viciously curse him and get out.

2nd driver (Uber) shows up, Korean guy cannot speak a lick of English. GPS is not going to get him to the rideshare dropoff. Getting him to take Blue Ridge to Trinity was a 15 min ordeal of grunting and groaning and wild gesticulations to facilitate the necessary turns and lane changes. Ugh, what a nightmare.

Rideshare apps were amazing when they first came out but have become increasingly untenable as our society continues its collapse. Dundon! Bring back the Caniac Coach!!

So an app that still works perfectly well for the vast majority of trips doesn't work as well for a destination where the traffic is nuts, and that's because... society is collapsing?

If you're unhappy about everything around you all the time, maybe the common denominator is you.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
So an app that still works perfectly well for the vast majority of trips doesn't work as well for a destination where the traffic is nuts, and that's because... society is collapsing?

If you're unhappy about everything around you all the time, maybe the common denominator is you.

Wait until he hears about how societal collapse has resulted in the end of the parking lot because of how crazy PNC parking was last night.

Don’t even get me started on the supply chain and inflation. $9 hot dog at a PNC Arena concession stand? Back in my day $9 used to get you two whole packs of hot dogs at Harris Teeter!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad