GDT: ECF Game 1: Panthers @ Hurricanes | 8:00 p.m. on TNT

Rick Davis

Dec 31, 2020
To me even though the Canes had a slight edge in shots the Kats looked like the more dangerous team pretty much the whole game. Having said that though it still took them 4 OT periods to slay us so maybe the reports of our demise are a bit premature. This Canes team handles adversity better than any professional team I’ve ever seen so let’s hope they can regroup and make it a series!

rainband

Oct 7, 2009
We play a game based on conditioning and energy.

Perhaps counterintuitively, that becomes more of a disadvantage as OT goes on. You could see it last night. We need energy to create meaningful chances. Florida doesn't. As everyone got more tired the chances got more and more pointless.
This. We have a team built on the ethos of chipping the puck in and beating opposing D-men to spots. When the guys get bone tired and can't do that, there is just absolutely nothing being generated. The problem got worse with each successive OT.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
This. We have a team built on the ethos of chipping the puck in and beating opposing D-men to spots. When the guys get bone tired and can't do that, there is just absolutely nothing being generated. The problem got worse with each successive OT.

It’s a bit of a bell curve. You get to the third period and you’re a bit worn down but we keep coming and coming and coming in waves, and everyone says “wow they’re so well conditioned!”

Then you get to the seventh period and it’s like “man these guys emptied the tank like 2 periods ago, meanwhile I’m really tired but not like that…”

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
smh should've hired Paul Maurice

3rd time is a charm!!
Always loved him anyway. The story of him with a dip in his mouth telling Weekes that he needed "balls the size of church bells" is the best thing I've ever heard.

Anyway- at least those two goals we scored in regulation were absolute beauties and not garbage lucky shots. And other than the 2nd period and parts of the 1st I thought the Panthers were getting snuffed out effectively. The hits they are laying are concerning, as they seem to be the type of thing that eventually cracks this team.

Seems clear that if Bob stays hot, this just ain't happening. Oh well.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
So our next GDT has to be heavy on vengeance, right? Right?

Next GDT NEEDS SOME OLD SCHOOL SUM BICHES TO WRITE IT UP. I'M TALKING FOOLS BLESSED BY THE GREAT ANTON THAT HAVE BEEN HERE SINCE THE DAWN OF TIME.

YOU DON'T MAKE THE ECF EVERY DECADE AND WE NEED SOME OF THAT 2006 CANES JUJU FROM THE GOOD OL' BOYS.

THEM BOYS WHO TOO OLD AND TOO CROTCHETY WHO BEEN TELLIN MOFOS TO GET OFF THEIR LAWN

WHERE OUR OLD SCHOOL, OG. HIGH EFFERT GDT SUM BICHES FROM BACK WHEN THESE WEREN'T NO BUNCH OF JERKS?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Stas and Stepan are bringing very little out there. In a 7 period game, Stas provided 0 to the offense. How is that even possible?

I would rather see non contributing JP and Mac in there. At least those two would increase our skating to put more pressure on them. But I know its just a rant and would never happen
Put Drury in between Mac and PP and just tell them to wreck shop.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Someone was going to make a small mistake somewhere. They have a handful of guys that can bury that mistake. I’m actually glad it was Slavin and Burns so we don’t melt down over one of the other guys.

We survived their early OT push….which is impressive given how good they are early in OT. We had a handful of good chances to win it. Get back on the horse and let’s go.

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
Slept on it. I'm not panicking unless we lose game 2.

giphy.gif

That being said, the magnitude of my meltdown after such a loss would be pretty major lol.

Also, for anyone interested, the second episode of Quest for the Cup will be streaming tonight.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Seemed like either FL pulled the ol’ rope-a-dope and let the Canes burn themselves out a little in the first OT, or they’re somehow the more conditioned team. If Mo is going to have a hissy every time one of his players goes to the box and the refs start swallowing their whistles I think that’s a definite advantage for FL.

I said it against TOR, FL plays like an early Chara era BOS team, grabbing, interfering, cross checking, penalty after penalty, cause the refs aren’t going to call them all. And as long as Bob is standing on his head, even if the Canes can score one or two a night on the PP, it feels like FL like their chances 5v5. It’s like Tkachuk said before the game, like looking in a mirror. Except FL is a more physical, nastier and plays more on the ragged edge version of the Hurricanes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad