Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
1684589623177.png

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
So an app that still works perfectly well for the vast majority of trips doesn't work as well for a destination where the traffic is nuts, and that's because... society is collapsing?

If you're unhappy about everything around you all the time, maybe the common denominator is you.

I mean it's not the underlying app- it's the people behind the app. And this is far from the first time I've been subjected to this kind of depravity by rideshare drivers- there has been a noticeable decline in service over the past several years, as there has been across the board (I'm sure you'll recall my complaints about never getting the right coffee order at Dunkin Doughnuts because everyone is as high AF). I've completely abandoned Uber because of this- and Lyft was good for a while but now has gone down the same road.

I tie this phenomena back to the Pandemic, which heralded the beginning of the collapse of society. You see it in everything now- a general malaise, lack of work ethic, aggressive driving, lack of respect for basic laws and norms of behavior, etcetera etcetera

And while I don't expect you to agree with me on that point- surely you can admit it is outrageous that a Lyft driver would accept a rider to go to PNC arena and then berate me about the traffic and how he isn't going to complete the task I'm paying him for. And that it'd be great if the Caniac Coach was still around.

Reactions: Sigurd and zman77

Porvari

Rekisteröitynyt käyttäjä
Feb 19, 2010
If you want to look for signs (causes, even) of societal collapse, look no further than the existence of companies like Uber or Lyft.

• Haha
Reactions: geehaad

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
If you want to look for signs (causes, even) of societal collapse, look no further than the existence of companies like Uber or Lyft.

Gig economy is certainly not ideal, one of the end results of the toxic brew of unrestrained, rapacious capitalism and globalism.

But...I'll bet it has cut down a lot on drunk driving. Just not enough taxis to get the job done. And the whole system of patronage in NYC to get a Taxi Medallion is abusive enough all in itself. I'm sure there would be a nice balance to be struck but oh no, it has to be all one thing or all the other.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
He stops, is unable to answer why the hell he'd take the ride if he didn't want to go to the arena,
It's not that he doesn't want to go to the arena. It's that he has ~2 hours of peak demand and is paid per trip. He doesn't want waste 30 min of that peak time sitting in traffic. And most people don't like sitting in traffic either, why sit in a car for 20 minutes bumper to bumper when you can walk 10 minutes to the arena and start drinking again.
That said he should have clarified that before he started driving, but I imagine most people are okay with walking to the arena from Trinity rather than sitting in traffic

Reactions: geehaad

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Fun fact. I was one of the many who left after the overturned goal then stormed back in when we heard the cries of "No Goal!" spreading amongst the masses. Just before that Justin Williams passed right in front of us outside the arena on the way to his car with daughter in tow. Not known if he came back or if she went to school Fri

Did they let you back in? There was pandemonium in the parking lot when all the people figured out it wasn't over. Guys yelling at me out of a pickup truck "We're going to the Goat to watch the rest of it! Come follow us! YEEEEE!"

Watched the next 2 periods at Backyard Bistro and the final one at home. Pretty glad I left, I would have been pissed if I was still seated there at 0200 with bo booze and a loss.

Fun fact- we were able to get beers after the 3rd period. Playoff beer rules.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
It's not that he doesn't want to go to the arena. It's that he has ~2 hours of peak demand and is paid per trip. He doesn't want waste 30 min of that peak time sitting in traffic. And most people don't like sitting in traffic either, why sit in a car for 20 minutes bumper to bumper when you can walk 10 minutes to the arena and start drinking again.
That said he should have clarified that before he started driving, but I imagine most people are okay with walking to the arena from Trinity rather than sitting in traffic

Ah, f*** that guy. He knows what he signed up for.

But to be fair- there was a female Lyft driver who showed absolute heroics picking me up during the outdoor game, which became another nightmare. I thought I could game the system cutting through the fairgrounds and getting picked up on the other side, but they had some kind of event going on so they fenced off the whole deal, so my wife and I actually scaled a chain link fence (helped down by dudes who had just had their car broken into and were chasing around the dude who had smashed the window), and the cops had blocked off all kinds of exits, she took like half an hour weaving her way around everything, I was on the phone guiding her in, and she extracted us right off of 54 under the overpass despite high speed traffic. Any other driver would have canceled that shit. Left her a huge tip and a glowing review. So there are some exceptions to what has been an across the board degradation in service.

Reactions: Summer Rose

stevewin

Oct 21, 2016
Did they let you back in? There was pandemonium in the parking lot when all the people figured out it wasn't over. Guys yelling at me out of a pickup truck "We're going to the Goat to watch the rest of it! Come follow us! YEEEEE!"

Watched the next 2 periods at Backyard Bistro and the final one at home. Pretty glad I left, I would have been pissed if I was still seated there at 0200 with bo booze and a loss.

Fun fact- we were able to get beers after the 3rd period. Playoff beer rules.
Yes they just let everyone stream back in, at least the entrance we went back in.

Pretty sure they were selling beer at least into the 3rd OT. It was after the 3rd OT that things seemed to close down - maybe they just ran out :p

One odd sight betwwen later OT periods was all the cleaning crew in their blue shirts sitting in the concourse waiting for the game to be over so they could start - they did not look happy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad