Eberle vs. Yakupov. Theme of the year?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If you want Ebs off the team, that's the definition of knee-jerk action that will only destroy the team.

Eakins deserves the criticism for not going with the hot hand in Yakupov. I would bet that Eakins will learn this, hopefully sooner rather than later.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I wouldn't be against trading Eberle but it's gotta be for a good 2C + or a 1-2 Dman.

I might be interested in a package something like this for him too although many will disagree

Edm: Eberle + Arcobello + Simpson

for

Bos: Eriksson + Soderberg + Subban + 2015 1st

Hall — RNH — Purcell
Perron — Soder — Eriksson
Pouliot — Drai — Yak
Joe — Gordon — Hendricks

Kulleroinen*

If you want Ebs off the team, that's the definition of knee-jerk action that will only destroy the team.

Eakins deserves the criticism for not going with the hot hand in Yakupov. I would bet that Eakins will learn this, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Few years of absolutely no effort, general disinterest in winning and for us fans, seeing his face does not make it a knee jerk reaction.

But hey, at least the local bar is still open.

Kulleroinen*

Realistically, who on this team is interested in winning?

I can see the desire to win in almost everyone else than our top line. In my opinion, Hall and RNH are being dragged down by the attitude of Eberle. Eberle gets away with anything, being a canadian kid and all and he knows that. Others take notice and their effort level goes down too.

Get him out of here. Bring on the pitchforks!

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I can see the desire to win in almost everyone else than our top line. In my opinion, Hall and RNH are being dragged down by the attitude of Eberle. Eberle gets away with anything, being a canadian kid and all and he knows that. Others take notice and their effort level goes down too.

Get him out of here. Bring on the pitchforks!

Hall was pretty crap in this game too and I didn't even notice RNH until the fight.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
I wouldn't trade Eberle because he can produce but he's a complimentary player. He can't carry Hall or Nuge. Once they get going, Eberle will start playing well. But I'm glad Yak has played well, he deserves more minutes, has been better than Ebs defensively and offensively thus far.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
My only question is when does Mact finally trade his dangling winger (Eberle) for a C or a D?

When will they ever figure out that dangling wingers are not core pieces. They are add-ons and trade bait.

I'm not saying Ebs isn't a good player; I'm saying his skill set should be considered expendable. He can be used as a value asset to acquire a more needed player-type. Why this is such a non-starter for so many fans and Oilers management is beyond me. It seems like a no-brainer.

Mact said himself he is not sure if Eberle is very good NHLer or a great NHLer. A very good dangling winger is not, or at least should not be, an untouchable core piece.

Jesus

Oct 5, 2006
I also like Eberle and think the offense he can provide is rare to find in the NHL. Unfortunately he has looked quite terrible for a while now. I'd like to think a coach that holds player accountable for bad plays/games would force Eberle to cut back on his poor habits. But Eakins allows the first line to do whatever they like without impunity and without ANY fear of repercussions (unless they spray his suit with water that is). Without any consequences to be afraid of the bad habits stay. Imo, a different coach could get Eberle to play smarter hockey.

Plus that fact that Eberle seems to be best buds with Hall, and that fact that Hall is the face of this franchise, pretty much means that Eberle is untouchable.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Ideally, you should always earn your ice-time. So the player who is playing better should be getting more ice-time. That hasn't been happening with the Eberle/Yakupov dynamic. It's impossible to say why, as only Eakins knows that, and probably doesn't have a good reason as well, being that he's a complete moron.

It's the same thing with goalies. With our 1a/1b setup with Scrivens and Fasth, the goalie playing better should get the starts. Fasth outplayed Scrivens in both pre-season and tonight, compared to Scrivens' game in the season opener. So Fasth SHOULD get the next start. But Scrivens will get it--just you watch.

When this crap happens, players eventually just say "**** it" because it seems no matter what they do the coach has favorites that he will play ahead of them, and they let off the gas to some degree. I'd hate to see that happen to Yak this season. If Yakupov continues his great play (while Eberle looks lost) and still only gets 10-12 minutes a game, then we clearly have a huge problem on our hands. I don't think a coach like Therien or Babcock would be spoon-feeding Eberle minutes he hasn't yet deserved this season. Again, if this continues, this is something that must be addressed. A new coach--one with actual NHL experience and who isn't washed up (like Quinn was) would be great.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
1. He needs someone to light a fire under his ass
2. Definitely. He's playing great
3. Eberle
4. Yak
5. Eberle, and whenever. Our top line was getting hit all night. Hall takes a run, right back. Nuge comes back swinging. Eberle wimps out. So sick of Eberle floating, and avoiding contact. He's a great player, but he's not a fit here

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
never been a big fan of eberle, but the sample size we have with yakupov right now is very small..

the beef that i have with eberle is that he is extremely one dimensional and when hes not producing points, hes practically doing nothing. he plays too soft of a game for what our team needs imo, especially for his price tag of 6m. at least yak would throw hits, get his hands dirty and mix things up from time to time.

if i had to trade either one of them right now, gun to my head, it would be eberle because:

1. it would send a huge message to everyone on the team, bigger than if we traded yakupov, and maybe some guys would start playing like they were fighting for their jobs

2. we could probably get much more for him, as of now than if we were to trade yakupov.

3. i think his best days are behind him as opposed to yak, who i think is on his way up.

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.

I'm so glad we're allowing our coach to learn each lesson the hard way. Maybe by year 3 he'll have everything sorted out and blossom into an below average coach.

What are they paying this guy to have him use the Oilers as his personal testing ground.

DearOldUncleTony

Mar 21, 2014
I have been really disappointed with Eberle the past couple years, but doesn't he usually start kinda slow? The year he got 76 pts I'm pretty sure he didn't score for like the first 7 games. Granted, Eberle's problems are beyond not scoring right now, but I am gonna give him the benefit of the doubt until 10 or so games in. His minutes should definitely be cut though.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
So:

1. Is Eberle starting to slow down or is this just a temporary slow start?
2. Has Yakupov's recent play justified an increase in minutes?
3. Who our #1 RW? (line-wise)
4. Who is the superior RW currently?
5. If push came to shove, who would you trade and when?

1. Temporary slow start
2. Yakupov does deserve more minutes, so long as he is playing well he should be floating in the 14-16 min range
3. Line-wise I'd like Purcell on the top line, more size, goes to the front of the net more and just slightly better fit stylistically. They will generate a little less offense with the change, but the line Eberle moves onto should be improved a bit because of it.
4. Eberle is the superior RW, hasn't been showing it recently, but he's always been a bit of a slow starter.
5. I would trade Eberle, trading this early sends some odd signals, but if you could get a good return before the Christmas break we should do so. Eb's is overrated and hasn't progressed well defensively much like Gagner before him, better to move him before everyone knows what he's all about.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
1. Is Eberle starting to slow down or is this just a temporary slow start? Temporary slow start. He's hit 2 posts already.

2. Has Yakupov's recent play justified an increase in minutes? Yes, he should be getting the 2nd most minutes of the 4 RW's

3. Who our #1 RW? (line-wise) Eberle but Yakupov will be by the end of the season.

4. Who is the superior RW currently? See above.

5. If push came to shove, who would you trade and when? Neither, Eberle would be the best 2nd line RW in the league.

Yakupov should be on the point with Schultz on the 1st PP. There is no dangerous slap shot on that unit. At least the 2nd unit has Hunt for now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad