Eberle vs RNH. Who has impressed most so far?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Eberle has been our second best player by far this season, but RNH does things even many superstars couldn't dream of.

What? Receiving unconditional praise and hyperbolic accolade?

I'm not being unkind either. With this board and fanbase its just that Nuge is the latest love him plaything. Knives have often been out for Hall, they are already for Yak, and criticism will eventually occur with Nuge and Eberle as well. But with that reversion usually taking place in entirety and with positive views reversing.

Possibly better to take a more reserved, and balanced view and resulting in less disappointment. Just an observation that people set themselves up thinking X player is great when they're really not at this point and we know what great players are just from looking around the league.

Last edited:

Conkanen*

The most concerning thing with Eberle is goal scoring has significantly regressed this year and last. At least RNH is producing at an improved clip.

I don't how you continue to get away with such garbage posts but let me try again.
Infractions be damned but here goes.

In his 34 goal campaign Eberle had 3 goals through the first 16 games. Count em up R. 16 games. How many games has he played this year? Yes that's right. Nothing has changed or regressed. He is going through a stretch where his shooting percentage is below his career average while he is absolutely 100% creating more chances than he ever has.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I don't how you continue to get away with such garbage posts but let me try again.

In his 34 goal campaign Eberle had 3 goals through the first 16 games. Count em up R. 16 games. How many games has he played this year? Yes that's right. Nothing has changed or regressed. He is going through a stretch where his shooting percentage is below his career average while he is absolutely 100% creating more chances than he ever has.

Results, actual goals scored matter to me. Arbitrary, subjective "scoring chance" stats are drivel and not generally worth anybodies consideration.

Eberle has 19Goals over the last 60GP. This representing significant regression from his career high. With Eberle rounding out to what looks more like a sub 30 goal scorer. Not a bad thing, but certainly nothing great.

So anyway, this is interesting, and sounds like a potential bet. I bet Eberle doesn't hit 30 goals this year. I have to wear a Miley Cyrus avatar all summer if I lose (and I can't freaking stand Miley Cyrus):laugh:

Rather than just banter lets make it a bet. Saves the board some aggravation and adds a little fun.

You on? We can arrange your avatar later. :p:

edit: such hesitation..:) Confidence in Eberle must be at full boil.

Last edited:

Conkanen*

Results, actual goals scored matter to me. Arbitrary, subjective "scoring chance" stats are drivel and not generally worth anybodies consideration.

So shooting percentage means f^ck all to you too as well. Or is that stat up for interpretation as well?

Eberle has 19Goals over the last 60GP.

So you are gonna gloss over the fact he played a ton of those games with a broken finger. Kewl.

So anyway, this is interesting, and sounds like a potential bet. I bet Eberle doesn't hit 30 goals this year.

Sounds like someone is grasping and hoping to get lucky. Eberle has already scored 30+ goals son. It's your factless based narratives that need work.

edit: such hesitation..:) Confidence in Eberle must be at full boil.

It's called supper. Might want to try it. Clearly you aren't thinking straight.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
So shooting percentage means f^ck all to you too as well. Or is that stat up for interpretation as well?

So you are gonna gloss over the fact he played a ton of those games with a broken finger. Kewl.

Sounds like someone is grasping and hoping to get lucky. Eberle has already scored 30+ goals son. It's your factless based narratives that need work.

I just ate. Thanks. Now I'm having desert.

So you decline the bet? Just want the faithful here to note your relative confidence in what Eberle will accomplish THIS SEASON.

It ain't 2011-12.

So one more time. I bet that Eberle doesn't hit the 30 goal mark this season.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

If you want know where this all started it was due to, of course, people saying Eberle was better than Gagner. This is why, years later, it's so personal to some.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

Remember, this is the same guy that at one point said

Mike Brown > Eberle.

Enough said.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Figures I start a positive thread about two players who are playing very well, and it still goes south. lol

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Remember, this is the same guy that at one point said

Mike Brown > Eberle.

Enough said.

When was that stated? May want to enlighten the masses.

Oh well, hope you have fun on the board.

ps Why do you have separate accounts Stan Darsh, or Stan Marsh or Tad Mikowsky?

Just wondering.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Eberle playing well defensively and on pk today and I'll give credit where its due but I haven't liked him much on the PP tonight.

That said Eakins is killing him tonight. Eberle could barely make it back to bench on a couple shifts and was virtually unable to move by the time the kings scored the tying goal.
Almost 15mins through two periods but including over 3mins pk. Ouch, thats going to hurt tomorrow.

Well, playing the Kings hurts the next day hurts as a rule.

Eakins is nuts not to roll lines more. He's overtaxing the talent in this one.

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
Eberle playing well defensively and on pk today and I'll give credit where its due but I haven't liked him much on the PP tonight.

That said Eakins is killing him tonight. Eberle could barely make it back to bench on a couple shifts and was virtually unable to move by the time the kings scored the tying goal.
Almost 15mins through two periods but including over 3mins pk. Ouch, thats going to hurt tomorrow.

Well, playing the Kings hurts the next day hurts as a rule.

Eakins is nuts not to roll lines more. He's overtaxing the talent in this one.

Eberle did a great job getting the puck deep and playing a bit of keep away, but PK minutes are also extremely tiring.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
I would insist Eberle needs to play MUCH less...but...in fairness to Eakins...it looks like his coaching approach requires his top players to be force fed extreme amounts of ice time...presumably for the long term goal of building a higher level of conditioning than anywhere else in the league.

If that's his master-scheme...well...I will give Eakins credit for one thing...he realizes the best possible conditioning any top level player will get...is actual playing time.

The problem with this...(aside from the fact its a half-hatched conspiracy from deep within my shallow mind)...until our top players are TRULY capable of handling as much ice as they're getting...their play is going to suffer at times...and...I see it happening with Eberle. There are times when he is dragging his ass/making mistakes/quitting on a play.

Eberle's game isn't predicated on net drive or power. He needs to get back to thinking the game a step ahead of other players and making the calm/precise play. That's hard to do when your exhausted. Players & coaches will always talk about how fatigue affects the mind/hands worse than it affects the legs.

Any-hoo...Eberle needs to be better. Especially inside his own blueline. He is one of many in that category on this team.

I think RNH has come back from his injury a bit better than I expected he might. It's encouraging. Still, same thing with RNH as it is with Eberle...Im just not seeing the wisdom in double-shifting these guys.

The total TOI ends up averaging around 22-ish for all our top guys. I think that's a tall order...but...at a first glance it doesn't appear waaaay out of whack.

Its not until you watch how the shifts are actually dispersed that you notice the overwhelming workload. These guys are being sent right back out after long/hard/tough shifts and that's (IMO) the worst thing you can do in concern with icetime.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
It really is a huge difference.

I've gotta give the edge to RNH because his defensive play is on another level

Eberle has also played a really good 2 way game this season, and is killing penalties. It's too close to call at this point, but also have to remember that RNH is still getting comfortable with his surgically repaired shoulder - by Christmas, he's going to be a bunch better than he is right now.

Oct 30, 2011
I would insist Eberle needs to play MUCH less...but...in fairness to Eakins...it looks like his coaching approach requires his top players to be force fed extreme amounts of ice time...presumably for the long term goal of building a higher level of conditioning than anywhere else in the league.

If that's his master-scheme...well...I will give Eakins credit for one thing...he realizes the best possible conditioning any top level player will get...is actual playing time.

The problem with this...(aside from the fact its a half-hatched conspiracy from deep within my shallow mind)...until our top players are TRULY capable of handling as much ice as they're getting...their play is going to suffer at times...and...I see it happening with Eberle. There are times when he is dragging his ass/making mistakes/quitting on a play.

Eberle's game isn't predicated on net drive or power. He needs to get back to thinking the game a step ahead of other players and making the calm/precise play. That's hard to do when your exhausted. Players & coaches will always talk about how fatigue affects the mind/hands worse than it affects the legs.

Any-hoo...Eberle needs to be better. Especially inside his own blueline. He is one of many in that category on this team.

I think RNH has come back from his injury a bit better than I expected he might. It's encouraging. Still, same thing with RNH as it is with Eberle...Im just not seeing the wisdom in double-shifting these guys.

The total TOI ends up averaging around 22-ish for all our top guys. I think that's a tall order...but...at a first glance it doesn't appear waaaay out of whack.

Its not until you watch how the shifts are actually dispersed that you notice the overwhelming workload. These guys are being sent right back out after long/hard/tough shifts and that's (IMO) the worst thing you can do in concern with icetime.

This is also a product of injury.

You see Ebs taking extra PK shifts because a guy like Smyth is out of the line-up. Hall can also eat up some minutes of even strength and PP.

If we are healthy, then our top two-lines should be closer in icetime.

Personally, I think Ebs can handle the extra minutes.

I am a little worried about RNH though. It's not that he can't play the tough minutes, but in some games, it really wears on him. If he keeps overexerting himself, he is going to get an injury. He's not in the same shape as Hall or even Ebs, in terms of years played at the pro-level and conditioning.

Let Gordon eat more minutes.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We really need to get Gagner back so Eberle/RNH can have a breather once in a while. Hopefully that will normalize the lines a bit. Joensuu back would be big too.

Perron RNH Eberle
Yakupov Gagner Hemsky
Joensuu Gordon Arcobello
Gazdic Acton Jones

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
This is also a product of injury.

You see Ebs taking extra PK shifts because a guy like Smyth is out of the line-up. Hall can also eat up some minutes of even strength and PP.

If we are healthy, then our top two-lines should be closer in icetime.

Personally, I think Ebs can handle the extra minutes.

I am a little worried about RNH though. It's not that he can't play the tough minutes, but in some games, it really wears on him. If he keeps overexerting himself, he is going to get an injury. He's not in the same shape as Hall or even Ebs, in terms of years played at the pro-level and conditioning.

Let Gordon eat more minutes.
This isn't really accurate. The overuse of players was immediate and before injury bug hit. RNH for instance saw over 26mins his first game back. Eakins reported that Hall should be able to play 27mins/night.

This was some silly concept Eakins had that he could play forwards this much in the NHL and imo can be reduced to his naivety about what works on this level. No forwards play this kind of minutes and also rotate on pk.

In one really screwy game Eakins played RNH over 26mins again and played Gordon 12mins.

Overuse of topsix is not just due to injury its Eakins being seduced by talent and wanting it out there every other shift and in some instance repeating shifts which is just ridiculous and even once noted on pk. We got scored on.

These are instances of Coach learning on the job things he should already know and the players being overused. I've been bringing this up from the start of the season when the toi started jumping off the page. Eakins uses his top forwards more than anybody else in the league does.

As Everest was mentioning, and I've mentioned, Eberle, and RNH are making more mistakes due to being over fatigued and harder to concentrate. also when you're physically over taxed coordination, timing, getting to pucks becomes more of an issue. On one pk Eberle (who played well on pk lastnight) received a breakout pass. Most times Eberle has no difficulty receiving that pass but he was spent. Coocrdination was off due to fatigue. Otherwise its a good shorthanded chance on goal.

I'm still not convinced pk is best use of resources for these talents but also acknowledge coach is using it as springboard for increased all ice responsibility and attention to detail. Being on pk often results in players becoming better all round players. Although right now its allround exhausted. Bet they slept well, lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad