Confirmed with Link: Eberle for Strome: Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
the real kicker is we have additional cap space.....that we don't need this year.

but cap space is king in good ol HFboards

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Ebs salary minus Strome salary is 3.5M

Now I'm curious who the player(s) we use the 3.5M on. If it's Grabner and Rieder, then the trade was necessary.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
its taken eberle a few games to adjust to a new team/system etc but hes now hitting his regular stride.

last 5 games he has 2G 4A and is even. mixed in there is a 0-0-0 game where he was -3 and another where he was 0-1-1 -1

for what ever reason certain people here focus on those games with a microscope and do their best to ignore the the 2 games where he was 2-1-3 +2 and 0-2-2 +2.

that is his game and always has been. that secondary scoring would be really useful on a team that has zero offence going for them.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
the real kicker is we have additional cap space.....that we don't need this year.

but cap space is king in good ol HFboards

Keep mocking it all you want but cap space is kind of important in a cap league and for a team that's going to be in a serious cap crunch when McDavid's extension kicks in, that freed up $6M could come in handy.

Furthermore, how do you know that they didn't need the cap space? Chia had to protect against a potential Drai offer sheet as remote as that possibility was, potential bonus hits and this gives the Oilers more flexibility to add at the deadline, flexibility they might not have had with Eberle's contract.

Also, did it ever dawn on anybody that maybe Eberle requested a trade? I think that was a distinct possibility, he just didn't seem happy here last year even with all the team success. JMO

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
Ebs salary minus Strome salary is 3.5M

Now I'm curious who the player(s) we use the 3.5M on. If it's Grabner and Rieder, then the trade was necessary.

oilers this season with strome 8.6M cap space, deadline cap space 66.3M

Oilers cap space this season with eberle $5.1M deadline cap space 39.3M

it was never necessary, there is not now or was never a cap issue this season.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
its taken eberle a few games to adjust to a new team/system etc but hes now hitting his regular stride.

last 5 games he has 2G 4A and is even. mixed in there is a 0-0-0 game where he was -3 and another where he was 0-1-1 -1

for what ever reason certain people here focus on those games with a microscope and do their best to ignore the the 2 games where he was 2-1-3 +2 and 0-2-2 +2.

that is his game and always has been. that secondary scoring would be really useful on a team that has zero offence going for them.

Good to see that some Oilers fans see the obvious. Eberle was and still is a very good player. Definitely worth the 3.5 mil the Islanders paid for him. And it is true that the Oilers needed the Cap space, but only to sign McDavid, Lucic, and Drai to these bloated contracts. You pay a price for that. Strome +3.5 mil saved is probably worth the trade for Eberle, but it was a poor trade if you can't use that cap space to acquire a player better than Eberle. Are you sure you're going to do that? Otherwise you are back where you started with another rebuild and without the assets or cap space to take the team to the next level. I think Chia was over confident in the ability of McDavid and Drai to carry your team or he doesn't make this trade.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
Keep mocking it all you want but cap space is kind of important in a cap league and for a team that's going to be in a serious cap crunch when McDavid's extension kicks in, that freed up $6M could come in handy.

Furthermore, how do you know that they didn't need the cap space? Chia had to protect against a potential Drai offer sheet as remote as that possibility was, potential bonus hits and this gives the Oilers more flexibility to add at the deadline, flexibility they might not have had with Eberle's contract.

Also, did it ever dawn on anybody that maybe Eberle requested a trade? I think that was a distinct possibility, he just didn't seem happy here last year even with all the team success. JMO

actual players > cap space

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
oilers this season with strome 8.6M cap space, deadline cap space 66.3M

Oilers cap space this season with eberle $5.1M deadline cap space 39.3M

it was never necessary, there is not now or was never a cap issue this season.
Oilers don't have a Tavares on this team who Ebs could have found chemistry with. Using his numbers on the Isles team and applying it to the Oilers doesn't work. Ebs game was declining here and it's evident.

Every time I think of Ebs, I think of reeks of losing culture that was lingering here. The trade had to be made. Freeing up cap space to add new faces was necessary.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
What good is cap space if you don't use it? If Chiarelli couldn't trade Eberle after this year then I'd question what job he was doing.

We traded a 50 point winger for a 30 point winger and now we have maybe one top 6 winger. Oh, and cap space. That at this rate we won't even need because this team is pretty far from a playoff spot.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
Oilers don't have a Tavares on this team who Ebs could have found chemistry. Using his numbers on the Isles team and applying it to the Oilers doesn't work. Ebs game was declining here and it's evident.

Every time I think of Ebs, I think of reeks of losing culture that was lingering here. The trade had to be made. Freeing up cap space to add new faces was necessary.

well its working out really well for us. I for one am happy I miss the good ol days of scouring the draftable players and talking about how they can slot in our line up.

Futures > real players

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
This is what people don't get. It wasn't a talent for talent trade or a need for need trade like the Hall/Larsson deal, this was a cap clearing deal plain and simple. Eberle's 2yrs $12M off the books and get a warm body who scored 50 points once upon a time and has the versatility to play center and wing. If it doesn't work out, oh well. They free up $3.5M of cap flexibility this season and $6M next season to fill in the roster as need be.

This trade is an incomplete until we see what Chia does with the cap space. As far as pure player value is concerned, the Oilers lose (duh) but trades are rarely that simple.

Haven't we seen what he's done with the cap space? McDavid, Draisaitl, Russell contracts make up that space and then some, especially next year onwards.

There are no new additions associated with the Eberle for Strome deal that render the trade incomplete.
If the argument is space for deadline acquisition this year, we have 60 regular season game to get through with these pieces.
Way things are going, hardly looking like buyers anyways.

Much as I was not an Eberle fan towards the end, the cap space would've been better served waiting 1 year with Eberle's contract on the books
I assure you, even if Ebs crapped the bed this season with us with some sort of 40 point lacklustre nothing year, he'd still get a piece like Strome next offseason. Strome is not good.

The trade was a cap dump and a more significant downgrade than required to the team. Poor asset management. There's no salvaging it.

Last edited:

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I believe it was time to give Eberle a fresh start.

Is Eberle a better player than Strome? Yes.

Would the Oilers record be any better with Eberle than Strome? Hard to say for certain, but I doubt it.

I can understand why people debate Hall vs Larsson.

But I dont understand why so many people are upset over this trade. Its not like Eberle had a ton of value. I am sure Chiarelli would of took a better deal if he could of. I dont think Eberle would of made a difference this year.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
What good is cap space if you don't use it? If Chiarelli couldn't trade Eberle after this year then I'd question what job he was doing.

We traded a 50 point winger for a 30 point winger and now we have maybe one top 6 winger. Oh, and cap space. That at this rate we won't even need because this team is pretty far from a playoff spot.

yeah but this about this, if we miss the playoffs we can be sellers at the deadline and get WAY MORE cap space.

I cant wait to have 50 mil cap space so we can talk about all the players that don't come here

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
well its working out really well for us. I for one am happy I miss the good ol days of scouring the draftable players and talking about how they can slot in our line up.

Futures > real players
You act like the Isles are making the playoffs lol

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
You act like the Oilers are in a playoff spot.
With or without Ebs the Oilers are in the same spot. He played himself off the team. Chia took matters into his own hand and shipped it out.

Why do we need 6M when McDavid 12.5M kicks in next year? Who's to say that Ebs doesn't stink it this year on the Oilers and makes it impossible to move him when McDavid's ELC is up? Which players on the Oilers do we lose because we can't move Ebs then?

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Oilers don't have a Tavares on this team who Ebs could have found chemistry with. Using his numbers on the Isles team and applying it to the Oilers doesn't work. Ebs game was declining here and it's evident.

Eberle's game picked up once he was taken off Tavares line and became a secondary scoring threat.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Dude they're currently 3 pts out 1st place from the best division in the league. The Oilers are 12 points out of 1st place in their division.
I'll take an avatar bet with anyone who thinks the Isles makes the playoffs given their hot start and Ebs hot streak or so called resurgence

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
I believe it was time to give Eberle a fresh start.

Is Eberle a better player than Strome? Yes.

Would the Oilers record be any better with Eberle than Strome? Hard to say for certain, but I doubt it.

I can understand why people debate Hall vs Larsson.

But I dont understand why so many people are upset over this trade. Its not like Eberle had a ton of value. I am sure Chiarelli would of took a better deal if he could of. I dont think Eberle would of made a difference this year.

No we don't get what your putting down . The hate is strong with this one.

Eberle struggling has 9 points with the Islanders in 11 games. starting to hit his stride. Strome is a detriment to our scoring. The Oilers are a much better team with Eberle. But no need to bring up the past. Time to snag Grabner or Kreider with that extra cap space minus a small dump. We need speed on the wings.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
With or without Ebs the Oilers are in the same spot. He played himself off the team. Chia took matters into his own hand and shipped it out.

Why do we need 6M when McDavid 12.5M kicks in next year? Who's to say that Ebs doesn't stink it this year on the Oilers and makes it impossible to move him when McDavid's ELC is up? Which players on the Oilers do we lose because we can't move Ebs then?
So Eberle coming off a "Terrible year" with term left is tradeable but Eberle with less term is somehow not...?

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015

Eberle played with Nelson and Beaulivier last game and broke out big time against 2nd pairing dman And even to use your Tavares reasoning why is JT back to being a ppg player where he has not been for a while . People trying to discredit a career 60 point player and one of the top producers since he joined the league are hilarious.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

would've been funny to see this place if it took Ebs 9 games to score his first goal...

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
actual players > cap space

Cap space allows a team to add actual players and perhaps actual players who fill a more important need. I don't see why cap flexibility is being shrugged off as nothing. This wasn't a trade made because Chia thinks Strome is a better player than Eberle or at least I hope not or we're in big trouble. It was made for the reasons I mentioned several posts back.

Also, I'm amazed that people have such short memories around here. Just look at the posts throughout most of last year. "Oilers are a one line team, where is the secondary scoring?", "The 2nd line is trash", "Get Eberle off the team, soft garbage". Posts like these were littered all over the board last season and now people are pining for Eberle to be brought back because he makes the Oilers a much better team. There were a few diehard Eberle fans who stuck with him throughout his entire tenure but those were very few and far between last season.

Eberle is a better scorer than Strome but I fail to see how he would have pulled the Oilers out of the dumps last season when he has never been the type of player to pull the team out of a funk when they were down. As the team slumps, so does Eberle. He's not going to will them to any victories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad