Confirmed with Link: Eberle for Strome: Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Maybe they were a top 6 winger away from advancing vs Anaheim as well...

Eberle was located after that series along with a mitten and a sock in the lost and found closet.
Well good thing we're on track to make the playoffs again so Strome can no doubt win the Conn Smythe along with his good buddy Captain Space.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Well good thing we're on track to make the playoffs again so Strome can no doubt win the Conn Smythe along with his good buddy Captain Space.

I'll bet Strome at least scores one of those things that Eberle's never scored in the playoffs if Strome does make the playoffs again.

Eberle is working on getting a green jacket already as well... team leading minus will have him in peak form when he's golfing in April.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
How is it lateral? He dealt a 50 point winger for a 30 point one. If he addressed needs after this trade then that's fine but the fact of the matter is he didn't plug the hole we needed to plug nor did he plug the hole he made. As of right now we have maybe one top 6 winger and that's largely because Maroon will only go as far as McDavid takes him.
It's lateral because his 6M is used on Strome and another player at the deadline

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
No guarantee it's a top 6 winger, or anything we need. Or that anyone good will even be available.
Oilers could get Rieder, Strome, Grabner for the price of Ebs. Lol Its really up to Chia at this point. Those players aren't hard to get and they would help this team tremendously

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Oilers could get Rieder, Strome, Grabner for the price of Ebs. Lol Its really up to Chia at this point. Those players aren't hard to get and they would help this team tremendously
Or they could get Dahlin if you know what I mean.

Think of what we picked up last year and what we gave up.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
As has been covered ad nauseam, it was a cap dump that wasn't needed this season and at this point the cap space isn't doing anything for the team.

Maybe that was Chiarelli's rationale, maybe he just didn't like Eberle anymore. That doesn't make it a good deal.
It was needed because of the uncertainty regarding the Draisaitl extension. We were under the threat of a possible offer-sheet which would've negatively impacted our long-term cap situation. Also covered ad-nauseum.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We don't need a winger. We need a player to drive a secondary scoring line. Until we get that we will always be bottlenecked by a Jekyl/Hyde offence.

None of Eberle, RNH, Lucic, Strome, Jokinen, etc. are the answer to that problem. They're not good enough to drive a line, none of them, which means teams can just fixate solely on McDavid's line, and beyond that of the 2/4 of them (Lucic and Eberle) they don't play well with McDavid so they can't be played there either.

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It was needed because of the uncertainty regarding the Draisaitl extension. We were under the threat of a possible offer-sheet which would've negatively impacted our long-term cap situation. Also covered ad-nauseum.
The reality is that no, we really weren't. And if someone paid Draisatl more than we did, then see you in the funny pages, Leon.

The offer sheet is the invisible boogeyman of the NHL. Most teams aren't desperate or stupid enough to do it. And he really isn't playing like a 8.5 million dollar player so far this year.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The reality is that no, we really weren't. And if someone paid Draisatl more than we did, then see you in the funny pages, Leon.

The offer sheet is the invisible boogeyman of the NHL. Most teams aren't desperate or stupid enough to do it. And he really isn't playing like a 8.5 million dollar player so far this year.
Drai is making 8.5M because McDavid is making 12.5M(yes I'm aware his deal hasn't kicked in yet). If McDavid took 10M, then there's no way Drai could have asked for 8.5M

I've said this before, no one in the league should be making 10M+

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Drai is making 8.5M because McDavid is making 12.5M(yes I'm aware his deal hasn't kicked in yet). If McDavid took 10M, then there's no way Drai could have asked for 8.5M

Why should players take 13% of the 20% of the cap that they are allowed?

Seems very arbitrary that 10m is always the max as well, yet everything else continues to rise.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Why should players take 13% of the 20% of the cap that they are allowed?

Seems very arbitrary that 10m is always the max as well, yet everything else continues to rise.
Team success over individual success.

This whole idea that McDavid is a max player is so silly. Yes I know I'm going to get flamed for saying this. But he would need to bring it and put the Oilers in a position every night to be worth 12.5M, let alone max. McDavid is worth 12.5M from a business POV but on ice he's more of a 10M player.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011

Yep. And while I can understand the earlier signing of McDavid, I can't understand the 8.5 M/yr Drai signing so early in his career. Most players start signing big contracts like that in their mid twenties- around 27. There's not enough years under Drai's belt to see what he is worth, with McDavid that was obvious, but Drai? Eberle put up nearly identical numbers as Drai at the same age without McDavid and by comparison his 6 million/yr seems like a bargain. Also, I can't understand the ingratitude by Oilers fans for the good numbers Eberle put up during the darkest years and maybe being the only reason to still watch the team only to turn on him because of one bad playoff performance.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
it was a flat out cap dump move...thats all it is

instead of getting picks (maybe a 2nd rounder +?), the Oilers figured they'd take a reclamation project...a guy who was still young, prove he could score 50 points and was versatile player being able to play wing or center

yes, its frustrating he hasn't replaced Eberle's skill but that's my thought process of the trade

This is what people don't get. It wasn't a talent for talent trade or a need for need trade like the Hall/Larsson deal, this was a cap clearing deal plain and simple. Eberle's 2yrs $12M off the books and get a warm body who scored 50 points once upon a time and has the versatility to play center and wing. If it doesn't work out, oh well. They free up $3.5M of cap flexibility this season and $6M next season to fill in the roster as need be.

This trade is an incomplete until we see what Chia does with the cap space. As far as pure player value is concerned, the Oilers lose (duh) but trades are rarely that simple.

Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Team success over individual success.

This whole idea that McDavid is a max player is so silly. Yes I know I'm going to get flamed for saying this. But he would need to bring it and put the Oilers in a position every night to be worth 12.5M, let alone max. McDavid is worth 12.5M from a business POV but on ice he's more of a 10M player.

I've been saying the same thing, he's not Gretzky. Doesn't have the otherworldly complete skill set to carry the team on his back.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
This is what people don't get. It wasn't a talent for talent trade or a need for need trade like the Hall/Larsson deal, this was a cap clearing deal plain and simple. Eberle's 2yrs $12M off the books and get a warm body who scored 50 points once upon a time and has the versatility to play center and wing. If it doesn't work out, oh well. They free up $3.5M of cap flexibility this season and $6M next season to fill in the roster as need be.

This trade is an incomplete until we see what Chia does with the cap space. As far as pure player value is concerned, the Oilers lose (duh) but trades are rarely that simple.

The "oh well" might mean at worse return to bottom dwelling or at best languish in mediocrity unable to rebuild because you have neither the assets, cap space or high draft picks to rebuild the team. Eberle added depth to the Oilers offense that took pressure off of McDavid's line. He was always a scoring threat. Take him away and teams only have to concentrate on one line. Contain McDavid's line, and they're done.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The "oh well" might mean at worse return to bottom dwelling or at best languish in mediocrity unable to rebuild because you have neither the assets, cap space or high draft picks to rebuild the team. Eberle added depth to the Oilers offense that took pressure off of McDavid's line. He was always a scoring threat. Take him away and teams only have to concentrate on one line. Contain McDavid's line, and they're done.

So in other words, just like last year.

Eberle wasn't always a scoring threat last year, he clearly wasn't the same player that he was the previous year and I believe that was in part to him not wanting to be here anymore IMO.

Again, Eberle is a better player than Strome and I don't think anybody is disputing that. This is a trade with many layers like I outlined above.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
at least we are seeing the effect that not having eberle on the team has caused. no one on the ice is worried about where strome is, except his own linemates. Defenders have no fear of him. Eberle ALWAYS had to be accounted for whenever the puck was on an oilers stick because if you left him alone for a second he would score. it helps the PP and it helps secondary scoring, but nah lets just forget about the times he scored 30+ goals and lets all have faith that Cap Space will fill the void that strome obviously cant fill.

Reactions: jebs

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
at least we are seeing the effect that not having eberle on the team has caused. no one on the ice is worried about where strome is, except his own linemates. Defenders have no fear of him. Eberle ALWAYS had to be accounted for whenever the puck was on an oilers stick because if you left him alone for a second he would score. it helps the PP and it helps secondary scoring, but nah lets just forget about the times he scored 30+ goals and lets all have faith that Cap Space will fill the void that strome obviously cant fill.

Bingo.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
No, because last year you had Eberle.

The Oilers were a one line team last year as well. The 2nd line didn't wake up until about the 60 game mark, and thank god they did, but then they went to sleep again in the playoffs. Eberle wouldn't have moved the needle much.
Again, Eberle is not the same player he used to be and this trade was made for multiple reasons, not just player for player reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad