New York Islanders: Eberle Agrees to 5-year Contract, $5.5M AAV

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Chemistry is certainly important, and make no mistake, you cannot win without it, but I think you are overselling it. Regardless of how much competent NHL players like each other and want to go to war for each other, there still has to be a core of really good ones and a couple of elite ones on any team that wants to compete for the big prize. We're not there. Beau is a perfect example. I don't care how much he and Barzy are buddies or how much personal chemistry they have, he has more than 200 NHL games under his belt and is heading into his fourth full season, he has to start producing consistently and being a far more complete player than he has been (and Barzy can't do it for him). As to Lehner, while you are generally right about goalies, not in his case. It could be argued that after Zeeker, Lehner was the catalyst and emotional leader of the Isles last season, both on the ice and off. I would hate to see him go.

Well, that is what I said. The chemistry is there, just need to get some more quality producers in here that fit into the lockerroom.

I'm, not sure if Lehner is a catalyst or not. I rarely saw other players talking about him, he pretty much was his own story. It's obvious he really enjoyed the crowd and the applause he got, but i'm not sure if he had any time to form a bond with anyone on the team. I'm still cautious about how I talk about Lehner. I don't think there are a lot of better options out there, but at the same time I'm not about to back up an armored truck to his door either. He's still has an illness, a treatable one, but also complex and ever changing. I pretty much guarantee that every time he leaves the psychiatrist he's heard the words, "try this and see how it goes" at least once. I'm glad he's succeeding, and i'm actually only surprised because of his health challenges. Whenever we played against Lehner he always looked skilled and capable, so his talent was obvious to me. He just doesn't scream to me as being a rock in the back end for years to come. Really it's a different world with LL as GM because it leaves us HFers guessing even more since there is nothing coming out about who might get extended. Just a waiting game.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Well, that is what I said. The chemistry is there, just need to get some more quality producers in here that fit into the lockerroom.

I'm, not sure if Lehner is a catalyst or not. I rarely saw other players talking about him, he pretty much was his own story. It's obvious he really enjoyed the crowd and the applause he got, but i'm not sure if he had any time to form a bond with anyone on the team. I'm still cautious about how I talk about Lehner. I don't think there are a lot of better options out there, but at the same time I'm not about to back up an armored truck to his door either. He's still has an illness, a treatable one, but also complex and ever changing. I pretty much guarantee that every time he leaves the psychiatrist he's heard the words, "try this and see how it goes" at least once. I'm glad he's succeeding, and i'm actually only surprised because of his health challenges. Whenever we played against Lehner he always looked skilled and capable, so his talent was obvious to me. He just doesn't scream to me as being a rock in the back end for years to come. Really it's a different world with LL as GM because it leaves us HFers guessing even more since there is nothing coming out about who might get extended. Just a waiting game.
I disagree about Lehner's impact in the room and how the other players felt, I think they verbalized a ton of love for him, but as I just posted in the off-season thread, I think your other concerns about Lehner are legit. I have no reason to believe that there is a problem but as I also just said on the other thread, I'm sure Lou has his spies watching Lehner's every off-season move and those reports are undoubtedly important to Lou's potential offer.

In any event, this is the Eberle thread, so we should probably take it elsewhere.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I disagree about Lehner's impact in the room and how the other players felt, I think they verbalized a ton of love for him, but as I just posted in the off-season thread, I think your other concerns about Lehner are legit. I have no reason to believe that there is a problem but as I also just said on the other thread, I'm sure Lou has his spies watching Lehner's every off-season move and those reports are undoubtedly important to Lou's potential offer.

In any event, this is the Eberle thread, so we should probably take it elsewhere.

Haha, yeah I just got done reading and catching up over there. I commented before I read all of it. It's nice to know Lehner wants to return and is not being picky about things, but also makes me wonder why a deal isn't there yet. Perhaps LL doesn't want to commit to Lehner if he can't dump Greiss' salary? Just don't know with Lou!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad