OT: Eastside Hockey Manager Thread: "We're all better GMs than DW" Edition

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
I swear, I feel like I'm the only guy that tried to keep everybody together. I guess it helps that I'm apparently a coaching god but still. It kinda bummed me out when I eventually traded Burns and he went on to have 8 more perfectly good years even though it seemed like he was done at 33.

So far I still have Burns, Vlasic, Thornton, Marleau, Goldobin, Nieto, Hertl and Tierney on my Sharks roster.

As for my playoffs what a disaster. Last two years I won the cup going 16-0. This year in the first round I lost Thornton, Vlasic, Hjalmarsson, Eichel, Tierney. Then in the 2nd round I lost Marleau and Kucherov, 3rd round Thornton and Vlasic came back only to go down again and in the 4th round I lost Bernier game 1 in the first period against Buffalo. Had to win every series in 7 games. While the Sabres cruised through the playoffs going 12-0 till they lost in 7 to SJ ending up the losers in the SCF to the Sharks for the 3rd straight time.

The Hertl-McDavid-Forsberg line with the OEL-Burns pairing basically carried the whole team through the playoffs since the only d-pairing they could rely on was the Mueller-Merrill pairing.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
I basically gave Thornton and Marleau away, though Marleau had a decent season. Both got at least a point every time they played me last season

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I'd really like to see lesser leagues get stronger or weaker over time. Like with how Kopitar's getting to be a star here, maybe that leads to Slovenia becoming a bigger hockey country with more players coming from there. Or if NHL players from the Czech Republic keep flubbing it, their player output lessens.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Werenski is on his way to becoming a beast. 19 and I can only sign him as a core or key player

And man the 2017 draft was pretty weak, is that how they get down the line not having a real life bases or was that just random

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Werenski is on his way to becoming a beast. 19 and I can only sign him as a core or key player

And man the 2017 draft was pretty weak, is that how they get down the line not having a real life bases or was that just random

I wanna say it's pretty random but I do like that you can get star players pretty deep in the draft if you luck out. I should check but I don't think I got a player out of that year's draft. Then again, my drafting strategy was pretty junk at the time.

Bowie22

blow it up
Jul 20, 2012
Santa Clara, CA
My draft history with dmen is pretty hit or miss...

edit: I don't think I have even 'hit' on any yet, aside from Werenski who has #1 upside. Everyone else is a #7D, LOL.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
My draft history with dmen is pretty hit or miss...

edit: I don't think I have even 'hit' on any yet, aside from Werenski who has #1 upside. Everyone else is a #7D, LOL.

Anticipation has usually been my go to indicator for drafting. I think either high anticipation or above average anticipation and creativity usually indicates an at least serviceable NHLer. I haven't hit on nearly as many defensemen but it's been pretty decent on the low end of things as long as they have some other techical or physical skills to back them up. I haven't really needed it since I usually have 3 or 4 spots locked in at any given time.

Bowie22

blow it up
Jul 20, 2012
Santa Clara, CA
Anticipation has usually been my go to indicator for drafting. I think either high anticipation or above average anticipation and creativity usually indicates an at least serviceable NHLer. I haven't hit on nearly as many defensemen but it's been pretty decent on the low end of things as long as they have some other techical or physical skills to back them up. I haven't really needed it since I usually have 3 or 4 spots locked in at any given time.

I think I need to stop drafting dmen based on their checking ability. Although, the one's that do have decent offensive ability never seem to improve on it by much...

I drafted this one Swede dman in the 2016 draft, and he looked like he was really going to be a stud for me down the line. Problem is, he refuses to sign for me...

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Werenski is going to be a stud and Provonov is a complete bust, though I didnt draft him. Another 1st round dman looking good for me is Sean Day

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Goalie's are so ****ing hard to draft. I've grabbed one or two well rated one's in the first 4 rounds like 3 out of 5 years now and they usually just bust. Then I see two star goalies playing for the Canes and Leafs who are 21 years old. ****ing hell and my starter just retired.

Bowie22

blow it up
Jul 20, 2012
Santa Clara, CA
Goalie's are so ****ing hard to draft. I've grabbed one or two well rated one's in the first 4 rounds like 3 out of 5 years now and they usually just bust. Then I see two star goalies playing for the Canes and Leafs who are 21 years old. ****ing hell and my starter just retired.

I drafted Mackenzie Blackwood in my other save file, and he is the AHL MVP right now.

also, I have too many damn player's whose scouting reports basically read "uh ya, next ryan nugent hopkins for sure".

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
I traded like two 4ths for Anderson who is pretty good, though I just signed Tampas goalie Andrei Vasilevskiy who is a beast at a young age for 4 year 2 mill aav offer sheet. I swear no one ever matches offer sheets

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
Werenski signed with the Caps at the start of the season as a college free agent and so far he's only played 10 games with about 60 being injured and in those 10 games he has 0 points. lol

Bowie22

blow it up
Jul 20, 2012
Santa Clara, CA
Werenski is a defensive dman for me, but he at least has #1-2 upside. lol

I just had a massive draft. Think I had like 12 picks, or something, with 4 1st rounders (I'm re-tooling off the fly, or resetting, or whatever DW would call it). I went kinda D heavy, but I think I got some future studs. Drafted a Dman who already had 85 passing (I'm using the up to 100 scale), and a forward who had 90 wristshot. I'm going to take my time developing them all.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Werenski is a defensive dman for me, but he at least has #1-2 upside. lol

I just had a massive draft. Think I had like 12 picks, or something, with 4 1st rounders (I'm re-tooling off the fly, or resetting, or whatever DW would call it). I went kinda D heavy, but I think I got some future studs. Drafted a Dman who already had 85 passing (I'm using the up to 100 scale), and a forward who had 90 wristshot. I'm going to take my time developing them all.

As long as one of anticipation/creativity/off the puck isn't completely garbage, they should end up at least useful.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Damn, I need to start paying attention to those... :laugh:

I think that you could get away with them being in the yellows if they got really good physical/technical stats. A lot of forwards do pretty well from what I've seen. A lot of the good players on other teams are usually pretty good in the mental department at least.

I drafted a defensive defenseman who had ridiculous off the charts physical and technical stats like he had 99 strength, speed, shooting, passing but his mental stats were in the reds and every year, the scouting staff thought he had star potential. Eventually, I ended up trading him at 23 and its been a few years and he's pretty much the same as ever.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Werenski is looking to be great for me, if I can just improve his shooting he will be awesome. Still only a 20 year old rookie

zw_zpso9kmrf8z.png

anthonyyy

Aug 11, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Just had MacKinnon leave me as a UFA after 2 back to back 100 point seasons. :cry:

Drafted Provorov in the 20's, and traded him and a 1st for MacKinnon after Provorov had a few monster seasons. My top line of Benn, Auston Matthews, MacKinnon was monster. At least we won 3 cups in 8 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad