Eastside Hockey Manager - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Nino...awesome work, going to take most of us a while to wrap our heads around everything you have looked at but wow.

I particularly love your player role breakdown based on CA. What I think would be super cool and perhaps quite useful is to someday have a utility (or frankly, even just a spreadsheet) - whereby you can enter in a player's CA and role and it would spit out the expected ratings.

I mean, you've essentially compiled all the info - like you point out in your red comments there probably needs to be some tweaking, either in the developmental model in the game or what ratings get assigned to different roles. But it seems to essentially be all there.

Example...somebody wants to add a junior player with good potential to the database. And you don't want to leave the players with all '0's' and leave things up to chance. Well, you could enter their CA and the player role you are assigning into a spreadsheet and it would spit out a template for their ratings.

Take it one step further - in a dream world, in the EHM DB Editor, with a create a new player function, it would automatically "fill-in" ratings when you create that player based on the CA and role...you could then tweak as need be. It would make creating new "waves" of young junior players that have some more accuracy a lot easier...instead of going player by player, attribute by attribute (tedious and how realistically are even good researchers going to be rating a 15 year-old bantam kid's "deflections" ability?) or, at the opposite end, simply leaving everything "0" in the ratings and letting the CPU fill it in, which doesn't seem like the best idea for accuracy.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
The game is kinda broken after the last update.

Goalies are terrible now. PP% seems to have gone up dramatically, with pk% obviously going down at the same rate.

My goalies are usually in the 91.5 - 92.5 range. Both backup and starter. This season, both are below 89, and only 5 teams in the league are getting goaltending above 90%. 11 teams above 89%. That means 19 teams in the league are getting goaltending below 89%. My team is 15th in the league with 88.62.

And waivers.. I'm in the middle of the season, and anything from 5-15 players are getting waived daily. Including some very solid players.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The game is kinda broken after the last update.

Goalies are terrible now. PP% seems to have gone up dramatically, with pk% obviously going down at the same rate.

My goalies are usually in the 91.5 - 92.5 range. Both backup and starter. This season, both are below 89, and only 5 teams in the league are getting goaltending above 90%. 11 teams above 89%. That means 19 teams in the league are getting goaltending below 89%. My team is 15th in the league with 88.62.

And waivers.. I'm in the middle of the season, and anything from 5-15 players are getting waived daily. Including some very solid players.

I've run into all of this as well. I picked up Boone Jenner off of waivers yesterday, and during every game day there are ridiculous scores (11-1, 9-5, etc.). I thought at first it was the bug that reset all the coaches/assistants to a Motivating rating of 1 or 2, but I think now there's something systemically wrong with the game itself.

Oh, also, I just went through the 2019 Draft and was picking five-star players in the seventh round. I'm talking guys with the center column of attributes with no rating less than 14, 20 speed, and high-potential wristshots. It's literally an embarrassment of riches, and while I love getting a 7th rounder who somehow pans out as an NHLer, having seven rounds' worth of top prospects enter my system at once really takes the fun out of it.

kulenova seka

I am playing with 98/99 rosters and making trades seems very hard. Offered Skoula, rights to Daniel Sedin, Franzen, Mozjakin and several 2nd rounders for Blake and they refused it. Odd...

duari91

Apr 12, 2011
Is there a reason McDavid sucks? I pulled some sneaky move to grab first overall his draft year and he's 9th in team scoring two season later.

He turns out well in most of my saves.

But it's worth noting that there are external factors that go into player development.

When did you sign him to a contract? Did he get any NHL time right off the bat? How many years did he spend in juniors?

If you mishandle prospects, they can take steps backwards, and it could permanently injure their potential.

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
Very interesting. How would we go about making an underdatabase?
Taken directly from the link...

Here's how I did it
1. created a blank database, selected every "add players/staff" that was available
2. used the EHM Assistant to export this entire database into spreadsheets
3. deleted from the blank database all players/staff that were "not needed" because they're populated by real players/staff from the TBL database (tedious at the end, but easy at first.....delete all NHL, all AHL, all WHL, all KHL, etc)
4. then you have your "underdatabase" & editing is done to this underdatabase (like ensuring no fake free agents are world class talent)
6. of course, with a modern database you'd keep Riz's high PA players age 9-14 at startup, BUT you can review them to ensure they're realistic/appropriate/acceptable (no more PAs in the 190s with a CA under 10)

With the 98 DB I inputted the bare minimum Atts (like just Judging for Scouts/GMs or just Coaching G/D/F for Assistant Coaches), and then started a game with that DB and used the Assistant to spit out what the game "filled in" - and then I used that to "review and make adjustments" (I wish I had spent 2-3 weeks on it instead of 2-3 days)

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
Nino...awesome work, going to take most of us a while to wrap our heads around everything you have looked at but wow.
Thank you!

I particularly love your player role breakdown based on CA. What I think would be super cool and perhaps quite useful is to someday have a utility (or frankly, even just a spreadsheet) - whereby you can enter in a player's CA and role and it would spit out the expected ratings.
You can do that now! Use a blank database, enter in the players CA and Player Role, start game and export data on the player using the EHM Assistant - done!
That's the whole concept behind my "underdatabase" http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=16779

So good news!
Your super cool dream world exists now!

FYI - I'm currently working on the 1974 database again, and creating an "underdatabase" for it. The Key/Essential/Non-Essential/Irrelevant Attributes is a MUCH IMPROVED system! But there are many other Attributes, and the reality is IMO it seems mostly random in how the game fills these in, and the initial human editing involvement can produce a much better database for the great game of EHM1 (especially with Staff! I believe the underdatabase can make an enormous improvement)

I'm not sure if the TBL Rosters will have this, as archibalduk and I have had a falling out, and I will not be helping with the TBL Rosters anymore (for the TBL Rosters, the lack of knowledgeable volunteer researchers that actually produce work is a huge problem and has been for years, and I wasn't even sure I'd have the time to do it for the TBL Rosters when I was involved)

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Thank you!

You can do that now! Use a blank database, enter in the players CA and Player Role, start game and export data on the player using the EHM Assistant - done!
That's the whole concept behind my "underdatabase" http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=16779

So good news!
Your super cool dream world exists now!

FYI - I'm currently working on the 1974 database again, and creating an "underdatabase" for it. The Key/Essential/Non-Essential/Irrelevant Attributes is a MUCH IMPROVED system! But there are many other Attributes, and the reality is IMO it seems mostly random in how the game fills these in, and the initial human editing involvement can produce a much better database for the great game of EHM1 (especially with Staff! I believe the underdatabase can make an enormous improvement)

I'm not sure if the TBL Rosters will have this, as archibalduk and I have had a falling out, and I will not be helping with the TBL Rosters anymore (for the TBL Rosters, the lack of knowledgeable volunteer researchers that actually produce work is a huge problem and has been for years, and I wasn't even sure I'd have the time to do it for the TBL Rosters when I was involved)

Cooooool.

Sorry to here about your falling out with archi - just hope both of you continue to improve the EHM scene in your own ways!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad