Post-Game Talk: Eastern Conference Title Defense Day 1: Devils @ Rangers

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I think people tend to expect too much out of players who are slated to be #7 defensemen in the NHL. All you can ask is in the preseason is that the player makes a few nice plays on the defensive side of the puck and not too many glaring errors.

Kostka made a lot of glaring errors and a few nice plays. Hunwick didn't make many glaring errors, but he also didn't make any decent defensive plays. Kampfer didn't make many glaring errors, and he made a couple of good defensive plays. To me, if I was making the decision based on tonight alone, Kampfer gets the nod. Luckily, that's not how this works. As far as I'm concerned, he's got a leg up, but that can change very easily.

The conclusions we can draw are very limited.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
All these people on the main boards that spew random **** about McDonagh make me laugh.

Bottom line is, there's patterns with McDonagh vs without McDonagh. No McDonagh, 5 ****ing goals. Not a coincidence.

Unless they're fans of a handful of other teams, they'd kill to have McD on their backend and they know it.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Only saw the first two periods.

Thought miller looked like a real player for the first time. Kid was on fire. He and Hagelin both look like they've got a new confidence about them. Great news for the rangers is that proves to be true long term.

Kreider is going to be a monster this year. Penalties are going to come to him the way he plays. It is what it is, and it's well worth it for all that he brings.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Only saw the first two periods.

Thought miller looked like a real player for the first time. Kid was on fire. He and Hagelin both look like they've got a new confidence about them. Great news for the rangers is that proves to be true long term.

Kreider is going to be a monster this year. Penalties are going to come to him the way he plays. It is what it is, and it's well worth it for all that he brings.
i hate when some whine about kreider penalties. Some are phantom calls and some come from playing physical. I agree he will have a big year. Tonight he played with 2 ahl guys and still was a beast

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
All these people on the main boards that spew random **** about McDonagh make me laugh.

Bottom line is, there's patterns with McDonagh vs without McDonagh. No McDonagh, 5 ****ing goals. Not a coincidence.

I thought it was really funny how after the finals the main boards were saying McDonagh is an offensive dman who cant play defense to save his life.

Dont put up points, you suck
put up points, you cant play defense
drafted 2nd overall and your name is Drew Doughty, GOAT AINEC

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I thought it was really funny how after the finals the main boards were saying McDonagh is an offensive dman who cant play defense to save his life.

Oh that was my favorite. It literally went from "he's steady and consistent but isn't a legit star" to "he's dynamic as hell, but shaky and inconsistent" :laugh:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Kreider isn't a power forward in the traditional sense of being a guy who mucks it up constantly, but he does play a power forward's game in terms of straight ahead skating, a big body, and good hands. So, while he won't take the roughing penalties you'd see out of, say, Keith Tkachuk, you will see a lot of the same offensive zone penalties that result from exuberance combined with playing style. Almost the bull-in-the-china-shop idea. No matter how disciplined he is, it can't be avoided. You gotta accept them if you want all the other good things that come with it.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

Oh that was my favorite. It literally went from "he's steady and consistent but isn't a legit star" to "he's dynamic as hell, but shaky and inconsistent" :laugh:
Let's not relive that gibberish, ok? :laugh:

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

The main boards are a funny place. I just go there when I need my blood to boil or when I want a good laugh. BTW love the Danny G own goal tally.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
There was quite a turnout at MSG tonight. It was about 50% full. Which really surprised me because it was a pre-season game. Not sure if it was because it was the Devils or there is just a buzz in the air about the Rangers now.

Good to see hockey back.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
There was quite a turnout at MSG tonight. It was about 50% full. Which really surprised me because it was a pre-season game. Not sure if it was because it was the Devils or there is just a buzz in the air about the Rangers now.

Good to see hockey back.

first preseason game in like 4 years

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013

Good to see hockey back.

You know us New Yorkers, we follow winners. And when I say we I mean those fans that are only fans when it's cool to be, that playoff run brought out a lot of fans I didn't know existed but hey I'm not mad. It's my favorite team and sport, it's about time this city fell Inlove with it again. Baseball is really falling behind so this is a good time for hockey to take over in this city

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007
Well, it isn't smoke, so I'd guess so. Still, it's somewhat obnoxious to be around. I work with some people who use it, but we've basically made it a policy that they can't do it inside anymore.

What's obnoxious about it exactly, that they can do something that looks like something bad, but isn't? What part of it bothers you exactly? Does it impede your vision of the game?

zuckera1

Mar 3, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Wasn't impressed with really anyone on the back end.

Staal looked slow and bad down low. Kostka was straight up horrible. JMoore was also inconsistent and made several bad decisions in his own end. Hunwick/Kampfer aren't NHL-quality defenders.

D. Boyle looked ok, I like what he can bring to the team offensively but he's didn't look too sharp in the defensive zone. Staal will need to cover for him, and I'm nervous about that.

It's one pre-season game, can only get impressions and can't make any major conclusions.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

Staal looked slow and bad down low. Kostka was straight up horrible. JMoore was also inconsistent and made several bad decisions in his own end. Hunwick/Kampfer aren't NHL-quality defenders.

D. Boyle looked ok, I like what he can bring to the team offensively but he's didn't look too sharp in the defensive zone. Staal will need to cover for him, and I'm nervous about that.

It's one pre-season game, can only get impressions and can't make any major conclusions.

Staal had one of "those" games

Boyle>>>>>Beaves on the point

Kostka might be one of the worst dmen ive ever seen

Hunwick and Kampfer are AHL depth

Moore was just Moore. He'll be fine with Klein.

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013

Well from here we literally can only get better

zuckera1

Mar 3, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Staal had one of "those" games

Boyle>>>>>Beaves on the point

Kostka might be one of the worst dmen ive ever seen

Hunwick and Kampfer are AHL depth

Moore was just Moore. He'll be fine with Klein.

"Those" games are becoming too common in my mind. Also I agree with you about Boyle as a PPQB versus Richards.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
What's obnoxious about it exactly, that they can do something that looks like something bad, but isn't? What part of it bothers you exactly? Does it impede your vision of the game?
Yes? :laugh:

I smoke them, but I understand that not everyone enjoys inhaling Tutti Frutti vapor.

Last edited:

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
"Those" games are becoming too common in my mind. Also I agree with you about Boyle as a PPQB versus Richards.

Everyone has one every so often. Better now than in the reg season. He goes through stretches. Boyle looked poised and decisive, I hope he keeps it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad