Eastern Conference Power Rankings Position 6

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I've been doing this for like 4 or 5 years now, so let's get this party started.

Rank what will be the best teams in the Eastern Conference. You can choose to pick what team you think will win the East and be in the SCF, OR what team you think will finish 1st overall at the end of the regular season, use whatever criteria you think is most applicable...as this poll goes, just keep going based on who is left.

Here are the current Division setups:

Division C
Boston Bruins
Buffalo Sabres
Detroit Red Wings
Florida Panthers
Montreal Canadiens
Ottawa Senators
Tampa Bay Lightning
Toronto Maple Leafs

Division D
Carolina Hurricanes
Columbus Blue Jackets
New Jersey Devils
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Philadelphia Flyers
Pittsburgh Penguins
Washington Capitals

Here are the current results of our polls

Division C
1)Boston Bruins
2)Detroit Red Wings
3)Ottawa Senators
-
-
-
-
-

Division D
1)Pittsburgh Penguins
2)New York Rangers
-
-
-
-
-
-

Here are the current Eastern Conference Power Rankings:
1)Boston Bruins
2)Pittsburgh Penguins
3)New York Rangers
4)Detroit Red Wings
5)Ottawa Senators
-
-
-
-------------------------------------------
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Here are the current Playoff Matchups:
Home VS Away
Boston Bruins VS Worst Wild Card Team (8)
Pittsburgh Penguins VS 2nd Worst Wild Card Team (7)
Detroit Red Wings VS Ottawa Senators
New York Rangers VS Division D #3

Poll to come shortly....

McDunna with Fries

Apr 9, 2012
This poll just made me realize.. not too many strong teams out there.. pretty top heavy this year. Also... Habs > Sens... Sens will miss alfie and gave up too much for bobby ryan

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
Here are the current Eastern Conference Power Rankings:
1)Boston Bruins
2)Pittsburgh Penguins
3)New York Rangers
4)Detroit Red Wings
5)Ottawa Senators
-

Really now? Rangers have been voted as the 3rd best team in the conference by this board? I am shocked.
I wonder what happened to Drew ... must have been apoplectic. :sarcasm:

I'd rank Wings and the Caps ahead of them though.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
Voted for the Jackets. Think they're getting underrated here. They have the reigning Vezina winner and added Gaborik and Horton to an already pretty good support cast.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Voted for the Jackets. Think they're getting underrated here. They have the reigning Vezina winner and added Gaborik and Horton to an already pretty good support cast.

I've been saying people underestimate the Jackets for a while and I think they're the team most likely to surprise this year.

However, I'm not ready to put them ahead of established forces just yet. I won't need much convincing, but I need some.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Suprised to see so many people picking the caps. I don't even see them as a playoff team. Though, if Ovechkin keeps up his second half streak I suppose a lot could happen. I'm with those saying Columbus, but Toronto should be up there too I think.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
No way Caps will be better than Leafs (at least not by the margin they currently lead in this poll). Toronto who took Boston to within one period to elimination and improved since then against Caps who lost the benefit of earnings gimme points in perpetually weak division? Toronto all the way.

Radek27

May 19, 2004
NJ
Don't think Ottawa belongs at 5 at all, I can see them missing the playoffs.

Picked the Habs again.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
Caps, they've got solid goaltending, blueline, and one of the best scorers in the league.

Detroit is getting way too much respect here and Ottawa lost their heart and soul.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Really now? Rangers have been voted as the 3rd best team in the conference by this board? I am shocked.
I wonder what happened to Drew ... must have been apoplectic. :sarcasm:

I'd rank Wings and the Caps ahead of them though.

Id probably have us at #4 to be honest.

2 huge injuries to start the year and staal is an unknown.

with everyone healthy we're easily up there with Boston and Pittsburgh...shuffle the boards and see where they end up...all 3 could finish in 1st place.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
you mean other than losing their captain?

they added clutterbuck, but lost Streit.

Their PP might take a bit of a dip, but I don't think he was as important to them last year as before. He had quite a minor role in their playoff run.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Rangers are overrated (not shocking). We should be fifth. Isles here.

Blue Jackets underrated. Caps overrated. Caps were 4-9-2 against Atlantic teams last season. 15-3 against Southeast teams (4-1 against the Canes).

Welcome to the division, Ovi :)

Can't believe the Flyers have votes for this position.

EDIT - I'm not saying that the Blue Jackets have earned this position, I just foresee (judging by votes so far) that they will be lower than they should be.

Last edited:

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

Same here. With Horton and switching conferences, I think they are going to be a tough team to beat because they will be on a high with a lot less travel. They will surprise teams in the East who might not take them as seriously as they should due to their past reputation.

Islanders could be in this spot as well.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I went Toronto. Montreal, Columbus, NYI, Carolina, Washington should all get nods soon. It is going to be hard to make the playoffs this upcoming season.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
Id probably have us at #4 to be honest.

2 huge injuries to start the year and staal is an unknown.

with everyone healthy we're easily up there with Boston and Pittsburgh...shuffle the boards and see where they end up...all 3 could finish in 1st place.

New coaches.
How quickly will the team adjust to the new system. How will Richards rebound.
How will the bottom 6 perform.
Will Brass confirm.
Will Stepan confirm.
Will kreider step up.
Will Staal return at (or close to) 100%.

Those are some of the questions in my mind.
I am optimist and I see good things, but I cannot rank them that high based on the uncertainty at this point.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
There is nothing wrong with having the Rangers ranked 3rd.

They finished 3rd/4th last year in the playoffs

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
The Ovenchickens lost their #2 center in Ribeiro and didn't replace him. Unless Kuznetsov comes over this season and makes a big impact, I don't see them higher than being a bubble team. Montreal for me. Their team barely changed this offseason and their young guys are another year older and better.

Kel Varnsen

Below: Nash's Heart
Sep 27, 2009
There is nothing wrong with having the Rangers ranked 3rd.

They finished 3rd/4th last year in the playoffs

1) The Wings and Jackets weren't in the East last year

2) We didn't have management telling a bunch of scrub forwards they were as talented as any other team in the league last year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad