Speculation: Eastern Conference is a Beast-Should we be sellers

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Looking at the trades that Florida, Boston and TB just made without us throwing the kitchen sink, the living room and the dining room into the pot I don’t think we have much of a chance.

Personally I would rather us trade some expiring contracts and load up for next year because IMO we are gonna get smoked. We could trade:

Lyubushkin
Holl
Dermott
Mikheyev
Mrazek-although I don’t think anybody I’ll be interested

There is talk the NYR would be willing to trade LaFrenier, Nylander would come to mind. Would could grab some prospects and free up cap space to drastically alter our team. I know this is super unpopular opinion but I just don’t think we have the personnel to win the SC.

Thought?

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Bit of a loser mentality there eh

The team's not near perfect but Matthews is 24 going on 25. Statistically, his best season is either this one, or in the past. When you have the chance to kick the can you kick the f***in can

No just realistic, with all the question marks in net and how crazy every team is this year I really have to question if it’s not better to take a step back and potentially reload like the Avs did a few years ago.

Reactions: Alamo Leafer

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
We're as good or better than all three of these teams. Hagel is a borderline top-6 F with a high oiSH% and meh impacts. Lindholm hasn't been great in years and besides McAvoy, Boston's defense pale in comparison to ours (but they play good team defense), and Florida is even more an offensive juggernaut who's lacking any semblance of defensive play or defenseman outside their elite top-pair.

It's insane to me that because we've had bad goaltending you guys are willing to pack up the season and go home. This is the best Leafs team in 20+ years with scoring talent, defensive depth, and actual depth. It's just lacking a goalie, and hopefully Jack comes back and plays like he did before Foligno tried to end his career.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The team is on pace to finish with a franchise record in terms of the regular season. They're not going to sell.

If anything the last couple playoffs should tell us nothing is predetermined. Just because a team loads up doesn't mean they won't lose in the first round.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
They are playoff hardened at this point, playing 5 straight years against tough physical opponents,.it is never going for to be different in any year in the NHL. There is no easy path to the Cup. Ever

No selling. Buy at the right price. Build a team that is happy to play hard, compete and fight for the W.

Unlike last years unique situation where I thought it was the right opportunity, I would say don''t overpay too much.

To sell though? No way you sell when you are doing well even without your meanest defenseman in the lineup. Any team in the dance can win it all. Put your best team together.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
It's amazing how after 3 years Dubas has arguably the worst defense AND the worst goaltending in the conference going in to the playoffs.
The defense has been great for the most part. Maybe not as good as Bostons, but better than most in the conference actually.

The goaltending was horrendous for a long period.

Reactions: Ciao and smitty10

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
The defense has been great for the most part. Maybe not as good as Bostons, but better than most in the conference actually.

The goaltending was horrendous for a long period.
That's true defense hasn't been as much of a problem. Still doesn't feel like a strength when you compare to Tampa, Carolina, Boston. Florida i'm not sure about. Pit and Washington i'd probably favor our D.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We're as good or better than all three of these teams. Hagel is a borderline top-6 F with a high oiSH% and meh impacts. Lindholm hasn't been great in years and besides McAvoy, Boston's defense pale in comparison to ours (but they play good team defense), and Florida is even more an offensive juggernaut who's lacking any semblance of defensive play or defenseman outside their elite top-pair.

It's insane to me that because we've had bad goaltending you guys are willing to pack up the season and go home. This is the best Leafs team in 20+ years with scoring talent, defensive depth, and actual depth. It's just lacking a goalie, and hopefully Jack comes back and plays like he did before Foligno tried to end his career.

I've heard this "best Leafs team in 20+ years" stuff for several years now. It doesn't mean anything, that much should be clear to everyone by now.

Saying this team is "just" lacking a goalie is like saying an NFL team "just" lacks a QB.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
It's insane to me that because we've had bad goaltending you guys are willing to pack up the season and go home.

First, I don't agree the Leafs should be sellers but there's a lot more holes in this team than bad goaltending. No use spelling it all out again, it's been debated to death for months, but right now Muzzin is a question mark which leaves the blueline suspect and unless Campbell comes back and regains his early season form, I don't see a realistic path for a deep playoff run.

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
We're 1-0 against Boston.

We've 1-1 against Tampa

We haven't played against Florida, and they just lost their best defenseman.

We're 5th in the league and rising.

Knock it off with this bullshit loser mentality

This is also the worst Boston team they've had in years. And Florida has as much playoff success (or lack there if) as the Leafs in recent years.

Nothing in this league is a lock to happen

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Sounds like my kids hockey coach "That team is too good to be playing in our division, they should be a level up"

In other words, you are not good enough. Terrible loser mentality..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad