Early Vezina favourites

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
img_20181103_103524-jpg.151655

Gibson is just behind Rittich. Vasi doesn't deserve to be ranked at all. Vasi and Hellebuyck are a product of their team. Raanta and Dubnyk are the only starters that are high up (Well technically Rinne is a starter, but he's missed a few games).

For now I'd say Gibson, Raanta, and Dubnyk in order from greatest to least. Dubnyk is however carried by his team a ton. Raanta and especially Gibson has to do the heavy loading themselves both in terms of making saves and helping their team eliminating chances and breaking out.
Dubnyk is the reason why we are not last in the Central right now. Sure it helps having a good team in front of you, but the first 6-7 games this year he was the only one who seemed to be giving a damn.

Last edited:

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Gibson is just behind Rittich. Vasi doesn't deserve to be ranked at all. Vasi and Hellebuyck are a product of their team. Raanta and Dubnyk are the only starters that are high up (Well technically Rinne is a starter, but he's missed a few games).

:laugh: You serious?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Your inability to recognize sarcasm is hilarious. Also funny when you realize how dumb it makes you look and then you report all of the posts to get them deleted :laugh:
Ive never reported a post. Never. Not once

Try again :shakehead

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
If voting started today, Gibson.

But I really don't think he can withstand 40 shots or more per night. He'll break down eventually if Anaheim doesn't get it together.

And as has been said, he'll be unlikely to win if Anaheim can't win games.

But objectively he's been the best goalie. Anaheim would be historically bad if not for him.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Well I'm told Carey Price is the best goalie in the world so........

The media loves saying this, but it hasn't been true for a while.

He's been mediocre this season IMO. He had one game where looked really good, and it just happened to be the game where he passed Patrick Roy in club wins.

Other than that, meh, neither terrible or great.

Vasilevsky looks real good to me right now.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
The one thing that could go against Rinne (other than a decline in his play obviously) is he will not get as many starts as the others, by design. He probably will have 50 starts or less.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

For now I'd say Gibson, Raanta, and Dubnyk in order from greatest to least. Dubnyk is however carried by his team a ton. Raanta and especially Gibson has to do the heavy loading themselves both in terms of making saves and helping their team eliminating chances and breaking out.

So darker blue means larger sample size of shots against, and obviously positive seems to be good.

In which case Allen is awful, Markstrom is awful, Helle is surprisingly bad, Dubnyk and Lundqvist have been Godly.

Grubs has been worse than advertised. Rask might just need more games but yikes.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

Is this basically a factor of league average sv% and shots faced, or what is the formula used?

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Is this basically a factor of league average sv% and shots faced, or what is the formula used?

It's expected goals against minus regular goals against.

Expected goals against is basically (LDSA x league average low danger shooting percentage) + (MDSA x league average medium danger shooting percentage) + (HDSA x league average medium danger shooting percentage).

So let's give an example.

Rinne faces: LDSA:715 MDSA:500 HDSA:244
He allows 87 goals in total out of these shots so his Sv% is: 94.04
League average LDS%: 2.08 MDS%:8.97 HDS%:20.81
His expected goals against would be 110.4984, thus his expected save percentage should be: 92.43.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
Lundqvist getting no love. This Rangers team is not very good. He keeps them competitive. Ask Sabres fans.
i have only seen a few rangers games this year, but i would agree hank looked unreal...granted, like i said it has only been a few games.

FinRanger

Jan 15, 2013
Lundqvist getting no love. This Rangers team is not very good. He keeps them competitive. Ask Sabres fans.

This! Henke has decided not to tank. I love his competitive nature.

Also the love Price makes me sick. He has faced not that many high danger scoring chances over the last few years and has still a pretty bad save%. That just shows that fans and people in general are pretty stupid and don't look at the stats.

And have to say that Gibson is one of the best goaltenders in NHL if not the best. He was the best goaltender last season according to Corsica hockey's analysis. Doesn't face easy chances but still very high save%.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad