Early Top 5 Craig's List for the 2019 Draft

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Broberg is rated way too high. Podkolzin is a stud though and I think that is an appropriate spot to put him momentarily. Everything else seems right or close to it.

I think Broberg is too high as well but I do think he has a case, if he continues this through the season, to be the best D in the draft.

Reactions: Castle8130

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
What's more logical.. placing a third line upside on a C prospect who can't score from distance.. or proclaiming after a summer showcase that he's the best C prospect not in the NHL.
Um you’re the one using absolute language on a guys “upside”.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You said he "absolutely not" has the upside to be more than a 2C which was a silly thing to randomly chime in with.

It's not silly. More than a 2C is a 1C and he just doesn't have the ability to be that. The only world he's a 1C is the Habs world where someone has to play above their station because there's no one qualified to play there. That still doesn't make him one.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Button has always over hyped a tournament, it is what he does.

I enjoy his reads and insight, but to not have Turcotte top 5 right now seems silly to be honest. Newhook as well is a name who should be there from everything I have seen from him.

Reactions: sydion

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
Button has always over hyped a tournament, it is what he does.

I enjoy his reads and insight, but to not have Turcotte top 5 right now seems silly to be honest. Newhook as well is a name who should be there from everything I have seen from him.

He always hypes up the players at whatever tournament he is at. At the U18 his #1 Dman for 2019 was Byram and now out of nowhere its Broberg. He loves starting hype trains.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Newhook, Krebs and Turcotte are very notable omissions from this list.
I'm not sure any is really notable when we are talking about a top 5. I think Turcotte is the 2nd best in the draft, but 2-10 is pretty debatable.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Ryan Poehling is so underrated. He got amazing hockey IQ, great two-way ability, great maturity. Just work on his shot and he is going to be a excellent #2 center in NHL IMO.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
When we gonna re-draft 2017 draft in 5 years, Poehling gonna ranking in top 10. Poehling is the real deal and people don't know what he can give on offensve zone. He got elite hockey IQ, he got underrated hands too. He is the most underrated center in prospect no doubt.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
I got to watch Poehling play live a few times in each of the last few years . He is good no doubt but you are hyping him too much , He was not even close to top 10 player in NCHC and probably 3-5th on his own team. He was a little younger than a few but still has a long way to go. Now that said i do like him i just think you are over selling him a bit .

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Shocking. :eek:

The guy who had Poehling #4 after the Hlinka ranks two mid/late first round prospects in the top five after they had great Hlinka tournaments.

TSN is doing their viewers a disservice having Button as their main expert. I'd much sooner hire 75% of the posters in this section than Button to be the TSN expert.

Nothing wrong with this though, it's not easy, prospects are like stocks, they go up and down. I take an ex NHL gm who has worked as a NHL scout over anyone hfboards.com

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Podkolzin is too high. I get that he had a great tournament, he has an excellent motor and puck skills, but I just don't see a guy with poor skating and an average stature going that high. I mean look at guys like Dach, Turcotte, Suzuki, Lavoie. All players with high-level skill, bigger, and faster. The NHL is all about who can play the most skilled and fastest. Podkolzin might be skilled, but he's not fast.

Broberg, I get having him as the top D. I don't know who's going to be the first D selected in 2019, but if Craig thinks it's Broberg that's okay. My #1 D is Matthew Robertson. I think he's got the best chance to be a #1 in the NHL, but to be honest, I don't see a #1 in this draft right now. Total opposite of 2018 where I saw 6-7 potential #1s.

Kakko is really strong and he's got some nifty hands, but he's slow as a turtle once again. He looks like a slower, more stronger version of M. Tkachuk. Not sure if that's a top 5 pick, but Tkachuk was a good pick at #6.

I think the top 10 should be full of forwards, in some order of Hughes, Kakko, Dach, Cozens, Krebs, Turcotte, Lavoie, Foote, Newhook, Nussbaumer.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
When we gonna re-draft 2017 draft in 5 years, Poehling gonna ranking in top 10. Poehling is the real deal and people don't know what he can give on offensve zone. He got elite hockey IQ, he got underrated hands too. He is the most underrated center in prospect no doubt.
Ofc he is, in your mind - hes a Montreal prospect after all

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Notice how high he were on Boqvist after his excellent Hlinka last year and then listen to Button the ongoing year when talking about Boqvist. Figure something similiar will happen with Broberg. Button is as random as they come IMO
just saying if you make a list in september and compare it to the actual the following june .. he didn't do a terrible job with the spetember list.. I would expect him to change his mind on a few players through the year.. Boqvist was amazing at the Hlinka in 2017.

Last edited:

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
just saying if you make a lost in september and compare it to the actual the following june .. he didn't do a terrible job with the spetember list.. I would expect him to change his mind on a few players through the year.. Boqvist was amazing at the Hlinka in 2017.
Thing is, Boqvist didnt have a bad year per say. Sure, he had a hard time making the Brynäs A team, but no one really thought he would either. He just "fell out of taste" for Button and slipped the rankings in the end. Prior to this years draft, he said that Boqvists disappears when the games get tougher, right after Boqvist had 2 goals vs Canada in the U18 in a 2-3 loss. I mean, Button's pretty random, and it's obvious if you look back on things he said as well. Hes not Don Cherry, aka "Ryan Murphy will go number 1, I guarantee it!", but hes close

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad