Early Norris trophy candidates?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I think your opinion of Nurse is higher than the voters will be but he is having a good year. I also think your list of favorites is sound.

Yeah, I don't expect Nurse to finish in the top 3. But he should be in that 4-7 range along with another cluster of players.

He's really developed and taken strides in his game, D men take time to develop and he's just starting to enter into his prime now. He's had some hiccups early in his career (like many, many young D men before him), but man does he look like a really good D man right now with the way he's playing at both ends of the ice.

Hedman is obviously the consensus favourite and well deserved, he's a top 5 player in this league quite easily for me. What a treat it was to watch him in the playoffs last year and the games I've caught this year he's been the best player on the ice pretty much every time.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Just curios, what are people's criteria for the Norris?

Good defensively first and foremost, two way play, ability to be an “all situations D man” who can contribute 5 v 5, on the PP, and on the PK.

Guys that can consistently log 25+ minutes per game or in that vicinity and be effective all 3 zones while offensively producing but most importantly strong all over the ice.

Reactions: kanucks25

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Petry should most definitely be a finalist and I think is helping his cause to actually win it with every passing game.

Reactions: Szechwan

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Makar is nice, but he can't stay healthy. Maybe next year.

Hedman
Petry
Nurse

for me.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Hedman

Doughty
McAvoy/Petry
Makar

The Norris winner is rarely what have you done this year. Usually to win a Norris you need to have a great season and reputation. I wouldn't be surprised if Petry is a finalist, but there is zero chance he wins it. If Hedman falters/get injured it'll either go to McAvoy or Doughty.

Think Makar has a chance if he gets healthy soon and lights it up the rest of the season, but I would bet good money Hedman wins it.

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
Good defensively first and foremost, two way play, ability to be an “all situations D man” who can contribute 5 v 5, on the PP, and on the PK.

Guys that can consistently log 25+ minutes per game or in that vicinity and be effective all 3 zones while offensively producing but most importantly strong all over the ice.
Unfortunately thats not what matters in real life. Sucks but points are the only thing that matters now to win a norris

Reactions: 57special

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Hedman AINEC

Then lower Makar and Macavoy

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
My current top 5:

1. McAvoy
2. Makar
3. Hedman
4. Petry
5. Ekblad

1-4 are all super tight.

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden

Game is different today and with different kind of players than in past. The mobile and fast transitions game opens up for more d-men thriving in moving the puck. Defense is also more of a task for 5 skaters on ice. I would say it is more motivated have two norris, as chewed here on boards many years.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Samuel Girard should be getting far more love than Makar. But no one actually watches Colorado so no wonder he gets no love.

Reactions: shadow1

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Unfortunately thats not what matters in real life. Sucks but points are the only thing that matters now to win a norris
That's very untrue. Usually the Norris winner is someone who gets a lot of points (because offensive skill and puck moving ability is extremely important for defencemen), but it's actually uncommon for the Norris winner to be the league leader in points for defencemen.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Don't see how people can leave Doughty out of their top-5 at the moment.

6-15-21 in 24 games
2.52 CF%rel, only dman on the Kings in the positive
11.54 GF%rel
26:31 TOI/GP, 2nd in the league
All on a mediocre team with a partner with 28 nhl games experience and a dcore as a whole with very little while getting all the toughest minutes and being the only one who can advance the puck with any regularity

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
for now

1) Hedman
2) Petry

They're both playing well but Hedman gets more minutes. Petry needs to outperform Hedman in production to leap over him.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Ekblad sure is building a strong case. Only starts 43% in the offensive zone and still posts great GF, CF, xGF percentages. Great on the PP, PKs the same amount of time as Hedman.. Hope he'll at least get some votes because he really deserves real recognition. Lots of people are still talking about him as a bust first overall.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Samuel Girard should be getting far more love than Makar. But no one actually watches Colorado so no wonder he gets no love.

I watch Colorado.

Avs fans watch Colorado.

A lot of people watch Colorado, they're a popular team.

Strange thing to say. They're not Anaheim.

Makar was the more impactful player for the Avs for the first dozen games, and he's been mostly injured since, so I don't think these two can be compared at this point. Makar was Norris caliber up until his injury, and Girard has stepped up since. Try making your points about Girard without shitting on Makar.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
I watch Colorado.

Avs fans watch Colorado.

A lot of people watch Colorado, they're a popular team.

Strange thing to say. They're not Anaheim.

Makar was the more impactful player for the Avs for the first dozen games, and he's been mostly injured since, so I don't think these two can be compared at this point. Makar was Norris caliber up until his injury, and Girard has stepped up since. Try making your points about Girard without shitting on Makar.
No one is shitting on Cale :laugh:

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
That's very untrue. Usually the Norris winner is someone who gets a lot of points (because offensive skill and puck moving ability is extremely important for defencemen), but it's actually uncommon for the Norris winner to be the league leader in points for defencemen.
Im nit wrong at all, i think i worded that wrong. Doesn't have to be a league leader but points do mean everything sadly

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Don't see how people can leave Doughty out of their top-5 at the moment.

6-15-21 in 24 games
2.52 CF%rel, only dman on the Kings in the positive
11.54 GF%rel
26:31 TOI/GP, 2nd in the league
All on a mediocre team with a partner with 28 nhl games experience and a dcore as a whole with very little while getting all the toughest minutes and being the only one who can advance the puck with any regularity

If the Kings make the playoffs, I would expect one of Kopitar or Doughty to be taking home hardware. Right now, Drew is the best bet. I think it's neck and neck between him and Hedman.

Reactions: ibleedkings

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2