GDT: Early morning hockey (for you guys)! Sharks at Devils, 10am PT

mooncalf

Mar 15, 2017
San Jose
Looking like a team that needs a coaching change.
I do not love Deboer and think he's probably a league-average coach or slightly above average. I'd be more than happy with turning the page, but I would be shocked to see DW pull the trigger.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
OK, I've swam to the shore after jumping off the bridge and am trying to climb back up the hill.

When you watch teams with good PP they get the puck across the ice quickly. If they want to use Burns and EK together they need to make Burns just sit on the face off circle ready for one timers and do the Ovie role. It feels like its been over a year since Burns was scoring from the blue line.

You aren't going to redesign the PP on the road where you get virtually zero practice time.

Wow . . . I thought the Sens board was bad when the team screwed up, but it seems this board is just as bad. It's only 6 games into the season, give the team a chance to gel.

You've just "inherited" a "thoroughbred" used to being "the man" and while the team needs to learn to play with him, he also needs to learn that there are other "thoroughbreds" on this team and he needs to learn to play with them. He was relied on so heavily in Ottawa and everything ran through him. He'll need time to adjust his thinking just as he needed time to adjust to his man-made ankle. It could take 10 games or 20 or 30, but he'll get there.

Thank You.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I do not love Deboer and think he's probably a league-average coach or slightly above average. I'd be more than happy with turning the page, but I would be shocked to see DW pull the trigger.
He's probably an above average coach with a league worst assistant playing a big role on the team.Barr and Zettler are probably okay but I can't tell. If you can assign defensive regression and defensive pairing usage to them then they also suck.

Nick O

Nov 27, 2017
"Take less penalties. Do more with the pp. Its not a steep hill." This this this. I would add that Jones could be a bit better, but not worried, he'll come around.

I think 3 days of practice will help the team a lot, especially coming off a long road trip where they (assuming) had time to gel as a group (off ice). That is an important part of putting together a good on ice performance.

Pretty much all of October will be forgotten in February when we have a deadly powerplay and are more disciplined with our sticks (including having better aim so we don't shoot it over the glass).

;)

Reactions: SENSability

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
Here is a list of teams with more “high danger scoring chances” than the San Jose Sharks at 5V5:

Since they have played the most games in the NHL, it might be unfair to compare the Sharks to teams like the Edmonton Oilers, who have only played 3 games.

Here is a list of teams with more “high danger scoring chances”, than the San Jose Sharks, per 60 minutes played at 5V5:

Thank you!!! This team is fine. Last year they dominated possession and put up awful scoring chance numbers. This year, they are dominating possession and putting up world class scoring chance numbers.

The sample size is incredibly small, however, the Devils were the second best possession team in the league entering today's game. The Sharks beat them in every way except on the scoreboard.

I'm pissed that they're finding ways to lose games. If this is happening at the 20 game mark, then I'll be worried about a scoring problem.

Reactions: Phu and Nick O

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Even just scf. TO has 163, we have 160.

TO has a 1.008 pdo
We have a .979

Hence the extra goals and thus wins.

We are scary 5v5.

Reactions: slocal and Phu

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Probably not the time to ask. He's been Steady Eddy, but they're losing and Karl isn't scoring, so the fingers are pointing.

The d-pairing that was touted as the best in a long time, has problems reaching the level both are capable if.

Perhaps the chemistry simply isn't there?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Honestly, I think Vlasic has been great, and has been significantly better than he was last year. I don’t think he’s the problem at all.

NoOffense

Nov 5, 2014
Here is a list of teams with more “high danger scoring chances” than the San Jose Sharks at 5V5:

Since they have played the most games in the NHL, it might be unfair to compare the Sharks to teams like the Edmonton Oilers, who have only played 3 games.

Here is a list of teams with more “high danger scoring chances”, than the San Jose Sharks, per 60 minutes played at 5V5:

Well getting all those chances doesn't really help when all of our forwards except Kane and Couture (and Pavelski but his shot has looked really bad lately) can't finish with any regularity. I don't believe it's just the oppositions goalie to get hot but just poor finishing.

It's basically pp and finishing that holds us back so far and maybe goaltending. So I have no doubts we are gonna be getting more points soon after a few training sessions. Still think we'll win the division.

BTW Karlsson probably wasn't fully healthy which could explain why he was pretty off today.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Honestly, I think Vlasic has been great, and has been significantly better than he was last year. I don’t think he’s the problem at all.

We have to give it time, but I don't think he's been a great fit with Karlsson so far. This doesn't look like the Vlasic of old. It looks like a chip-on-the-shoulder Vlasic who is trying to be an offensive defenseman instead of letting Karlsson work his magic.

Reactions: nabbyfan

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Jones sucks, bring back Alex Stalock

Lol. Keep Jones but make sure he does more than golf in the off-season.

Quick is notorious for slow starts, but kicks it into high gear. If Jones can do that and bring a cup home, it's all good.

The only problem, Jones is not Quick.

The guy who is really quick, literally, is EK. He makes the rest of the defensive corps of the Sharks look slow. Like a bunch of Irwin.

EK and Kane are the two guys consistently using their speed throughout the game.

Reactions: SjMilhouse

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
DeBoer is not as big of a problem as Spott but ultimately the buck stops with DeBoer. I think replacing Spott with Adam Oates would fix the problem but I can't see DeBoer allowing that to happen.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Together they are pretty dominant as a pairing. Tge only issue is vlasic shooting too much.

This. Vlasic appears like he wants to keep up with EK. He should just focus on his forte which is playing solid defense.

One good thing about pairing with EK is it forces Vlasic to skate faster. I've seen some speed out of Vlasic that I don't recall last year.

In fact, that is one of EK's two biggest problems. He is forcing a slower transition team into being a faster one. The other is poor utilization by the coaches.

If EK keeps up the pressure on his teammates, I'm hoping they'll come around and start to dominate in Dec and on.

Honestly, if it was not for EK's upcoming UFA status, I would be thinking more of trading Burns. Burns lack of using his speed does not impress me.

nabbyfan

Oct 4, 2007
Santa Clarita, CA
To add Insult to injury they can't even make it straight back to SJC, but have to stop in Nebraska for fuel. That's not gonna convince EK65 to re-sign :sarcasm:

Overall feel like the Sharks left a few points on the board on this trip, but 2-2-1 isn't an awful road trip.

Putting up basically 40 shots a game feels like they should be netting more than 2 a game, but Id like to see them get a few more dangerous shots. And until they work out whatever the hell they're trying to do on PP1, Id like to see PP2 get a lot more time out there. I don't understand why the coaching staff can't watch all the goals from around the league like I do every night, and see what successful PP's are doing to score and mimic it. We have the personnel to be a dangerous PP, 0/16 outside of the game in Philly is unacceptable, even this early in the season IMO.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Watched a little bit of the game. From what I saw EK was being a little more aggressive carrying the puck, which is usually a sign he's playing more instinctual (getting more comfortable). There were one or two times though where Vlasic shot when a pass across to EK would have created a better scoring chance. He should realize that sending a pass across is a good option always unless there's a guy right on EK. He might even get a pass back and a better lane to shoot (and players in front of the net).

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
Another early game, another loss...

giphy.gif

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
To add Insult to injury they can't even make it straight back to SJC, but have to stop in Nebraska for fuel. That's not gonna convince EK65 to re-sign :sarcasm:

Overall feel like the Sharks left a few points on the board on this trip, but 2-2-1 isn't an awful road trip.

Putting up basically 40 shots a game feels like they should be netting more than 2 a game, but Id like to see them get a few more dangerous shots. And until they work out whatever the hell they're trying to do on PP1, Id like to see PP2 get a lot more time out there. I don't understand why the coaching staff can't watch all the goals from around the league like I do every night, and see what successful PP's are doing to score and mimic it. We have the personnel to be a dangerous PP, 0/16 outside of the game in Philly is unacceptable, even this early in the season IMO.

I know it doesnt seem like it but we are creating the most chances per 60 in the league.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I dont think adding anymore talent is a good idea right now. Clearly it isnt doing any good because the team is failing at pretty much every part of the game that isn't 5vs5 offense.

Coaches need to go. Our luck had just fire deboer and make spott hc

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I don't care that we are 2-3-1 to start the season.....

I don't care that we are dominating games but still losing in October.....

I don't care that our PP is working against itself in October.....

.... Because that stuff will correct itself down the line. I only worry that Karlsson won't resign, and losing doesn't help the cause. That makes these losses sting more

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Too many stupid penalties and soft goals allowed. Too few important faceoff wins.

Karlsson made some boneheaded plays today. We were told he's been ailing; he probably should have been scratched.

Disappointing road trip, with 2 3rd period leads ending in losses.

Early days yet though. Fingers off the Panic Button, please. All those chances will start going in.

Lots of practice days available during this upcoming 2 game home stand. The schedule certainly isn't kind. They fly back east in only 8 days for games against Nashville and Carolina? That's just cruel.

Timo is developing into a gamer. Very pleased with his progress.

Oh, and put Karlsson and Burns on different PP units. EK with the 2nd unit looked great today. We've got enough forward depth to have 2 dangerous units. PP1 is just sad to watch right now.

Last edited:

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I was at the game and Couture on at least 5 occasions was totally exasperated by how poorly he was playing. His body language was terrible.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
I was at the game and Couture on at least 5 occasions was totally exasperated by how poorly he was playing. His body language was terrible.

And he does an interview saying people aren't playing as good as they should be. Keep it in the locker room and look at yourself in the mirror.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad