Early Impressions: Marcus Pettersson

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Outside of the super high end guys like Matthews and Laine, how often do young guys step in and immediately produce at a good top 6 level? I'm legitimately asking btw. Rust had a slow start. Sheary had a slow start. That seems pretty typical.

Id imagine it is pretty typical especially tweener guys like Rust etc. I have no hard numbers but guys that end up as star scorers probably have higher early success rates than most.

And sprong is going to need to be a star type scorer, unless he has a come to D-esus moment

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I know these are usually pretty loaded but to highlight my point...

5v5 numbers

Player A - 0.806 p/60 - 46.3 corsi
Player B - 0.860 p/60 - 45.8 corsi
Player C - 0.717 p/60 - 40.6 corsi
Player D - 1.162 p/60 - 45.4 corsi
Player E - 1.238 p/60 - 47.9 corsi

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I know these are usually pretty loaded but to highlight my point...

5v5 numbers

Player A - 0.806 p/60 - 46.3 corsi
Player B - 0.860 p/60 - 45.8 corsi
Player C - 0.717 p/60 - 40.6 corsi
Player D - 1.162 p/60 - 45.4 corsi
Player E - 1.238 p/60 - 47.9 corsi

Answers

Sprong as a Duck (ie being used right)
Adams Pens career
Glass Pens career
Kuhnhackl Pens career
Reaves Pens career

Aka the offensive black hole team.

Reactions: Riptide and Shwag33

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Id imagine it is pretty typical especially tweener guys like Rust etc. I have no hard numbers but guys that end up as star scorers probably have higher early success rates than most.

And sprong is going to need to be a star type scorer, unless he has a come to D-esus moment

Yeah, this was my argument. If Sprong was such an elite scorer he would’ve proven it in the NHL by now and one note scorers aren’t the type that score at a PPG in the A as a 20 year old. Typically those are two way forwards as evidence by the list we’ve posted multiple times.

Reactions: Riptide

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
indeed, that's what I meant by doing fine. He is doing what he needs to do to keep getting opportunities. Eventually he's going to need to be better though, because he's going to have more competition for those same opportunities just like he had here.

Right now both teams are getting what they should have expected.

Yep, we got a serviceable defensemen who is actively contributing & they got a bust who has 1 goal in his last 5 games & is a -5 during the stretch.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
nice segment tonight where Petterson got his head up and took the open ice to set up a goal. Love this trade. Might have saved our season.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

pokey10

Neat
Apr 26, 2016
Pittsburgh
nice segment tonight where Petterson got his head up and took the open ice to set up a goal. Love this trade. Might have saved our season.

I agree up to a point. Seasons are won and lost as a group effort. The turnaround from the defense as a unit, Goaltending, and secondary scoring has boded well for this team during this stretch. I can say with confidence he has helped us right the ship and is trending up. I gotta give it to JR, again, for always having his eyes and ears all over the league. Applaud that man if and when we make the playoffs.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Pettersson has also provided, perhaps my favorite play of the year so far. (there have been many great ones.) And that was the diving stick save against Washington to prevent a sure goal.

You have a guy laying out, in true playoff style intensity, in a regular season game. That play, along with the Horny hat trick explosion, I think were a couple turning moments in our season so far.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Petterson seems to have figured out that he needs to cover for Johnson in the DZ, and has been doing so quite well. Additionally, JJ seems to trust him, so instead of always just chipping the puck out of the zone, Johnson now gives the puck to Petterson who is able to make a capable pass out of the zone. Apparently the two communicate really well with each other. It's kind of remarkable how much Petterson has made Johnson better.

I mean, I'd still prefer to not have Johnson, but if we're going to have him, finding someone who could make him not be a total defensive liability is nothing short of remarkable, and for that alone, I'm happy with the trade.

Reactions: td_ice

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
Petterson is pretty good now and will probably be pretty damn solid in his prime. Sprong might be way better later, or he might never be close to as good, but probably won't be much in between. Nobody can agree on the odds of those outcomes.

17 pages to figure that out.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
He makes me happy...like when I was eight and my mother brought home a box of Count Chocula happy...

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I know these are simple stats, but 14 and 17 games in, I think we have a large enough sample size to at least look at them:

Sprong: 14 games - 5G, 6P but only 3ES points or 18 ESpoints per 82 pace and 18PP points per 82.
Pettersson: 17 games - 0G, 4P and 3ES points or 14 ES points per 82 and 5PP points per 82

Totally different positions and usage obviously, but I think it's fair to say this trade has worked out about as well as anyone should have expected thus far.

Sprong still may be a stud and make JR and co. look foolish, but that will be because of another org's development and risks taken.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I know these are simple stats, but 14 and 17 games in, I think we have a large enough sample size to at least look at them:

Sprong: 14 games - 5G, 6P but only 3ES points or 18 ESpoints per 82 pace and 18PP points per 82.
Pettersson: 17 games - 0G, 4P and 3ES points or 14 ES points per 82 and 5PP points per 82

Totally different positions and usage obviously, but I think it's fair to say this trade has worked out about as well as anyone should have expected thus far.

Sprong still may be a stud and make JR and co. look foolish, but that will be because of another org's development and risks taken.

I know some people aren't a big fan of plus minus, but their is a huge difference between them.

Petterson plus 8 with the Pens and plus 12 overall for the year.

Sprong minus 4 for the Ducks and minus 11 for the year.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I know some people aren't a big fan of plus minus, but their is a huge difference between them.

Petterson plus 8 with the Pens and plus 12 overall for the year.

Sprong minus 4 for the Ducks and minus 11 for the year.

+/- can be a misleading stat (and so can the stats I posted above), but over long sample sizes and in right context it's meaningful. It's something else to add to the stats as evidence that Pettersson is good.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I've really loved Pettersson so far in his stint in Pittsburgh. He is responsible, can break the puck out of the D-zone well, seems to do well under pressure, and he can jump into plays well enough when it's safe.

The goal-line save was obviously a thing of beauty and he's made a few other good clutch stops for the team as well.

Another Sergei Gonchar reclamation project. Man this guy really needs to be dubbed"The D-Man Whisperer". Every down-and-out defenseman that this guy touches turns to gold.

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
I've really loved Pettersson so far in his stint in Pittsburgh. He is responsible, can break the puck out of the D-zone well, seems to do well under pressure, and he can jump into plays well enough when it's safe.

The goal-line save was obviously a thing of beauty and he's made a few other good clutch stops for the team as well.

Another Sergei Gonchar reclamation project. Man this guy really needs to be dubbed"The D-Man Whisperer". Every down-and-out defenseman that this guy touches turns to gold.
Was Peterson down and out when we got him?

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Another Sergei Gonchar reclamation project.
Man this guy really needs to be dubbed"The D-Man Whisperer". Every down-and-out defenseman that this guy touches turns to gold.

I wouldn't go that far. Not saying that Gonchar isn't helping him get better... but Pettersson was already a good player in Anaheim. They just have a lot of good young blueliner's and could take the chance on moving Pettersson for a young winger with high upside and high bust potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad