Early Europeans in North America

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
Very long postings here but I think this is not posted yet.

Gus Forslund was the first Swede in NHL, 1932/33.
Gus Forslund - Wikipedia

Yes, first Swedish born. A bit of trivia is that tough defenseman Bert Corbeau, who played in the first ever NHL game in 1917 had a Swedish mother. Fanny Hagstrom from Kalmar (or Gavleborg county according to some family trees).

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
IIHF Hall Of Famer Matti "Mölli" Keinonen sadly passed away month ago. Finnish hockey legend. But it is nice to add him on this list.

The Montreal Star March 17. 1969
...Their chief culprit in this regard was Matti Keinonen a tricky forward who´s on the negotiation list of the Los Angeles Kings, but who can´t be wooed out of the country by Kings general-manager Larry Regan who had been prepared to offer all forms of incentives to get his man on a plane...

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
The current book presentation about Lloyd Percival reminded me of Emil Iverson.

Emil Iverson was Black Hawks coach from late November 1931 to January 1933. Wikipedia is actually really wonky regarding Black Hawks coaches from that period. I believe my information is correct in this.

Iverson had been coaching Minnesota Gophers from 1923 to 1930 before and was gymnastic teacher in there. He joined Black Hawks as physical trainer in 1930 and surprisingly in 1931 got the head coach job after two games when Godfrey Matheson suffered burnout. His coaching heavily focused on training, conditiong, diet and such. His ideas did raise several kind of opinions. Some admired that he had made a strong skating team. But there certainlu was some resistance too.

The Sun Times 12. Jan 1932
...Iverson came to the Chicago Club at the start of last season, ostensibly as a trainer, but he was never a trainer. He was a physical director, and when you know the man you say that without smiling. Ambitious, sure of himself, and one of the foremost students of the fundamentals of athletics and physical condition, in athletics and out...

Why I write about Iverson in here is that according to sources he was born in Copenhagen, Denmark in 1892. And according to newspaper articles he wasn´t just born there. He would have gone through what was referred as Royal Institite of Gymnastics in Copenhagen. Now there had been Det kongelige militære gymnastiske Institut in Copenhagen. Though it would have been known Gymnastikskolen when Iverson had been in it. This would also fit to the claims that he had been Danish Army officer in Siam before coming to United States. Also seen claims that he would have done some skating coaching in Denmark too.

Now if this information would be correct it could be said that Iverson was the first European coach in NHL. He did learn about hockey in US, but lot of his coaching fundamentals were already learned in Denmark.

Now the problem is I don´t really know if this information is correct and I´m bit doubful. Lot of wild claims has been made about Iversons life (I could write really really long post about those). Some of them are true, but some like that he would have been part of Danish Olympic Fooball team in 1920 is easily debunked. The first time I have seen his name mentioned is in Chicago Tribune in 1919 when he was Chief Instructor of Chicago Arena ice.

So a long post to ask if anyone know if his history in Denmark is correct? :)

Reactions: DN28

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
So a long post to ask if anyone know if his history in Denmark is correct? :)

I don't think I've done too much genealogy on Emil Iverson myself, but one noticeable thing (and this you probably already know) was that his younger brother Kay Iverson, two years his junior, also coached collegiate hockey in the States with Marquette University, at the same time Emil coached the Minnesota Golden Gophers.

Both Emil (1892) and Kay (1894) are listed as born in Denmark from sources I've come across, but I haven't tried to track them down any further than that.

Reactions: Sanf

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
I don't think I've done too much genealogy on Emil Iverson myself, but one noticeable thing (and this you probably already know) was that his younger brother Kay Iverson, two years his junior, also coached collegiate hockey in the States with Marquette University, at the same time Emil coached the Minnesota Golden Gophers.

Both Emil (1892) and Kay (1894) are listed as born in Denmark from sources I've come across, but I haven't tried to track them down any further than that.

Yes their rivalry was talked quite a bit. I have seen an article where it is mentioned that they both talked about "navy stories".

Obviosly their surname could have been Iverson before, but considering they were Danish it seem like "anglified" version of Iversen.

NigerianNightmare

Lürssen > Feadship
Jan 25, 2022
West Africa
I thought it would be neat thing to take a look at the early European players who got attention from North Americans.

Players that were put on negotiaion lists of NHL clubs, were invited to training camps or just generally were commented on that they could play in the NHL.

When time permits I will look at each and everyone of them, how they did at the training camps, or just comment on their chances to make it over in North America.

Of course, the criteria is that they spent their formative years playing in Europe, thus players like Stan Mikita, Ivan Boldirev, Walt Tkaczuk, Stan Smrke, etc do not qualify.

Here’s a list of the ones that I am aware of at the moment, please add players if you see that I am missing anyone. I know that for example Bohumil Modrý, the Czechoslovakian goalie had offers from the NHL in 1947 or 1948, but I have not found any contemporary sources. Aside from that, I do have some other names in my files that I haven't been able to verify.

I believe that this might be the most comprehensive list that's been presented so far.
But having said that, it's not complete, and I'm sure I have forgot about some players.

YearNameCountryComment
1922Alfred de RauchFranceNHL'er Gerry Geran thought he could play in the USA
1922Louis BrasseurFranceNHL'er Gerry Geran thought he could play in the USA
1922Robert LacroixFranceNHL'er Gerry Geran thought he could play in the USA
1931Josef MalečekCzechoslovakiaInvited to attend New York Rangers training camp
1949Jaroslav DrobnýCzechoslovakiaBoston Bruins negotiation list
1949Vladimir ZábrodskýCzechoslovakiaInterest from Boston Bruins and Vancouver Canucks (PCHL)
1950Aarne HonkavaaraFinlandPlayed for Sarnia Sailors
1956 Nikolai Puchkov Soviet Union Cleveland Barons (AHL) negotiation list
He was also offered a $ 10.000 contract
1956Nikolai SologubovSoviet UnionNHL-calibre player according to North American observers
1956Yuri KrylovSoviet UnionNHL-calibre player according to North American observers
1956Aleksei GuryshevSoviet UnionNHL-calibre player according to North American observers
1956Yuri PantyukhovSoviet UnionNHL-calibre player according to North American observers
1957Sven JohanssonSwedenBoston Bruins training camp
1958Lars BjörnSwedenBoston Bruins training camp
1958Veniamin AleksandrovSoviet UnionChicago Blackhawks negotiation list
1958Ivan TregubovSoviet UnionNHL-calibre player according to North American observers
1958Yuri KopylovSoviet UnionNHL-calibre player according to North American observers
1962Lennart HäggrothSwedenInvited to attend Boston Bruins training camp
1962Ulf SternerSwedenInvited to attend Boston Bruins training camp
New York Rangers negotiation list 1963
New York Rangers training camp 1963 & 1964
Drafted by New York Raiders (WHA) 1972
Chicago Cougars (WHA) training camp 1972
1962Roland StoltzSwedenInvited to attend Boston Bruins training camp
1962Nils NilssonSwedenInvited to attend Boston Bruins training camp
1963Carl-Göran ÖbergSwedenToronto Maple Leafs training camp
1963Kjell SvenssonSwedenToronto Maple Leafs training camp
1963Jiři (George) KrenCzechoslovakiaToronto Maple Leafs training camp
1963Jean Paupardin France Montreal Canadiens training camp
1964Juha Widing Sweden Invited by New Rangers
Attended Brandon Wheat Kings training camp
Drafted by Ontario (Ottawa) Nationals (WHA) 1972
1964Folke Bengtsson Sweden New York Rangers training camp
Detroit Red Wings negotiation list 1966
1964Jan-Erik SjöbergSwedenNew York Rangers training camp
1964Sören BlomgrenSwedenNew York Rangers training camp
1964Øystein MellerudNorwayNew York Rangers training camp
1965Václav NedomanskýCzechoslovakiaNew York Rangers negotiation list
Drafted by Calgary Broncos (WHA) 1972
1965Vladimir DzurillaCzechoslovakiaInvited to attend Toronto Maple Leafs training camp
Los Angeles Kings negotiation list 1967
Montreal Canadiens negotiation list 1976
1965Luděk BukačCzechoslovakiaBoston Bruins training camp
Skated with Chicago Blackhawks
1965Tord Lundström Sweden Detroit Red Wings negotiation list
1965Håkan NygrenSwedenDetroit Red Wings negotiation list
Minnesota North Stars negotiation list 1966
1965Stig-Göran JohanssonSwedenInvited to attend New York Rangers training camp
1966Kjell Sundström Sweden Detroit Red Wings negotiation list
1967Jaroslav HolikCzechoslovakiaLos Angeles Kings negotiation list
1967Jozef GolonkaCzechoslovakiaLos Angeles Kings negotiation list
St. Louis Blues negotiation list 1968
1967Lennart SvedbergSwedenInvited to attend St. Louis Blues training camp
Detroit Red Wings negotiation list 1969
Detroit Red Wings training camp 1969
1967Pentti LindegrenFinlandInvited to attend St. Louis Blues training camp
1968Lauri MononenFinlandInvited to attend Los Angeles Kings training camp
1968Jorma AhoFinlandNew York Rangers training camp
1968Sakari AhlbergFinlandNew York Rangers training camp
1968Leif HolmqvistSwedenScrimmaged with Boston Bruins (March 1968)
Invited to attend Boston Bruins training camp
Drafted by Edmonton Oil Kings (WHA) 1972
Detroit Red Wings training camp 1973
1968Arne CarlssonSwedenMinnesota North Stars negotiation list
Detroit Red Wings negotiation list 1969
1968Lars-Göran NilssonSwedenMinnesota North Stars negotiation list
St. Louis Blues negotiation list (year unknown)
1968Leif HenrikssonSwedenDetroit Red Wings training camp
1968Josef HorešovskýCzechoslovakiaSt. Louis Blues negotiation list
1968Jan HavelCzechoslovakiaSt. Louis Blues negotiation list
1968Jaroslav JiříkCzechoslovakiaSt. Louis Blues negotiation list
St. Louis Blues training camp 1969
1968Jan Marek Czechoslovakia Attended Toronto Maple Leafs training camp
1968Viktor Tišlar (Tišler)YugoslaviaSt. Louis Blues training camp
1968Albin FelcYugoslavia St. Louis Blues training camp
1968Anton GaleYugoslaviaBoston Bruins training camp
Chicago Blackhawks training camp 1970
1968Ivo Jan Yugoslavia Detroit Red Wings training camp
1968Viktor Ravnik Yugoslavia Detroit Red Wings training camp
1968Ciril Klinar Yugoslavia Invited to attend Detroit Red Wings training camp
1968Ivo RatajYugoslaviaInvited to attend Detroit Red Wings training camp
1969Anatoli FirsovSoviet UnionLos Angeles Kings negotiation list
1969 Tommy Salmelainen Finland Detroit Red Wings negotiation list
St. Louis training camp
Drafted by St. Louis Blues 1969
1969 Esa Isaksson Finland Invited to attend St. Louis Blues training camp
1969Veli-Pekka KetolaFinlandDetroit Red Wings training camp
1969Petr Hejma Czechoslovakia Detroit Red Wings training camp
Toronto Maple Leafs training camp 1970
1969Jiři BastlCzechoslovakiaChicago Blackhawks training camp
Chicago Cougars (WHA) training camp 1973
1969Karel Straka CzechoslovakiaOttawa 67's (OHA) training camp
1970Miroslav GojanovićYugoslaviaChicago Blackhawks training camp
Los Angeles Sharks (WHA) training camp 1972
Drafted by Los Angeles Sharks (WHA) 1972
1970Rudi Hiti Yugoslavia Chicago Blackhawks training camp
Los Angeles Sharks (WHA) training camp 1972
Drafted by Los Angeles Sharks (WHA) 1972
1970Lasse Oksanen Finland Vancouver Canucks training camp
1970Jorma Peltonen Finland Invited to attend Vancouver Canucks training camp
1970Kjell-Rune Milton Sweden Invited to attend Vancouver Canucks training camp
1971Ard Schenk Netherlands Chicago Blackhawks negotiation list
(This was a publicity stunt as he was a speedskater)
1972Juhani TamminenFinlandToronto Maple Leafs training camp
1972Jorma ValtonenFinlandToronto Maple Leafs training camp
1972 Ilpo Koskela Finland Invited to attend Toronto Maple Leafs training camp
1972Marek (Mark) Turek Czechoslovakia Toronto Maple Leafs training camp
1972Thommie Bergman Sweden Detroit Red Wings training camp
1972 Christer Abrahamsson Sweden Negotiated with Buffalo Sabres
1972Jaroslav (Jarda) Krupička CzechoslovakiaLos Angeles Sharks (WHA) training camp
1972Zoltan Horvath Hungary Los Angeles Sharks (WHA) training camp
1972 Benny Andersson Sweden Chicago Cougars (WHA) training camp
1972Valeri KharlamovSoviet UnionDrafted by Calgary Broncos (WHA)
Chicago Blackhawks negotiation list
1972Yuri Blinov Soviet Union Drafted by Calgary Broncos (WHA)
1972Jan Eysselt CzechoslovakiaDrafted by Calgary Broncos (WHA)
1972Gunnar Lindqvist Sweden Drafted by Calgary Broncos (WHA)
1972Alois SchloderWest Germany Drafted by Calgary Broncos (WHA)
Also drafted by Los Angeles Sharks (WHA)
1972Vladislav Tretiak Soviet Union Drafted by New York Raiders (WHA)
1972Seppo Lindström Finland Drafted by Winnipeg Jets (WHA)
1972František TikalCzechoslovakiaDrafted by Winnipeg Jets (WHA)
1972 Reinhold BauerWest GermanyDrafted by Miami Screaming Eagles (WHA)
1972 Aleksandr Ragulin Soviet Union Drafted by New York Raiders (WHA)
1972 Evgeny MishakovSoviet Union Drafted by Miami Screaming Eagles (WHA)
1972 Aleksandr Maltsev Soviet Union Drafted by Calgary Broncos (WHA)
1972 Vladimir Petrov Soviet Union Drafted by Calgary Broncos (WHA)
1972 Jiří HolečekCzechoslovakia Drafted by Ontario (Ottawa) Nationals (WHA)
1972 Jiří KochtaCzechoslovakia Drafted by Ontario (Ottawa) Nationals (WHA)
1972 Vladimir Bouzek Czechoslovakia Drafted by Los Angeles Sharks (WHA)
1972 Jiří HolikCzechoslovakia Drafted by Los Angeles Sharks (WHA)
1972 Ivan Hlinka Czechoslovakia Drafted by Los Angeles Sharks (WHA)
1972 Leif Svensson Sweden Drafted by Edmonton Oil Kings (WHA)
1972 Boris Mikhailov Soviet Union Drafted by Miami Screaming Eagles (WHA)
1972 Aleksei Kosygin Soviet Union Drafted by Winnipeg Jets (WHA)
A mock pick as he was the Soviet prime minister
He was one week shy of his 68th birthday - The oldest pick ever
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Just imagine:

1973, Jets vs Alberta Oilers - play-by-play:

"Bobby Hull to Kosygin... Kosygin shoots! He scores!!"

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012

I did find this about his time in Danish Army (or more likely as Danish in Siamese army). I have no idea if that means anything near what is claimed in Thai and not going to make any uneducated guesses (google translate did not give any help, but did not really expect it either). If there are any Thai speaking people please help. :)

Otherwise the claim is plausible because it seems that Denmark had relationship with Siam and there were Danish officers in Siamese army. From Eric Seidenfarden bio from Wiki (Major serving in Siamese army and much more).

In 1914 he became the chief of The Royal Siamese Gendarmerie's officer school. His role, along with that of many imported western officers, was to assist with the modernization of the Siamese military

The Minneapolis Star 21. Apr 1931

That man is Emil Iverson, former physical education instructor at the University of Minnesota and now coach of the Chicago Blackhawks professional hockey team. Mr. Iverson was a captain in the Siamese army for two years, teaching the Siamese soldiers physical hygiene.

During that period Mr. Iverson saw the present ruler on several occasions, allthough at the time he was a prince. Althouugh Mr. Iverson left Siam in 1915, he still carries with him two mementos of his stay there, one hammered silver cigarette case with his name engraved on it both in Englsih and Siamese, his title in Siamese bein "Nun cha cha," or "new white man." The other is a leather billfold with his official title, "Captain Emil Iverson."

The Danes have extensive interests in Siam, and many young men are sent from the scools to Siam to aid the poeple of the country." Mr. Iverson said. "I was sent to help in physical education work. We dressed in conventional English clothes most of the time, but had pure suits with Cork helmets as sort of Uniform."

Among the claims about Iverson that I have found correct are... He did seem to be a fancy skater and doing some exhibitions in US. He indeed was leading an expedition to find "lost tribe" in 1927 too. Overall I don´t know. I´m sceptical.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I did find this about his time in Danish Army (or more likely as Danish in Siamese army). I have no idea if that means anything near what is claimed in Thai and not going to make any uneducated guesses (google translate did not give any help, but did not really expect it either). If there are any Thai speaking people please help. :)

Otherwise the claim is plausible because it seems that Denmark had relationship with Siam and there were Danish officers in Siamese army. From Eric Seidenfarden bio from Wiki (Major serving in Siamese army and much more).

In 1914 he became the chief of The Royal Siamese Gendarmerie's officer school. His role, along with that of many imported western officers, was to assist with the modernization of the Siamese military

The Minneapolis Star 21. Apr 1931

That man is Emil Iverson, former physical education instructor at the University of Minnesota and now coach of the Chicago Blackhawks professional hockey team. Mr. Iverson was a captain in the Siamese army for two years, teaching the Siamese soldiers physical hygiene.

During that period Mr. Iverson saw the present ruler on several occasions, allthough at the time he was a prince. Althouugh Mr. Iverson left Siam in 1915, he still carries with him two mementos of his stay there, one hammered silver cigarette case with his name engraved on it both in Englsih and Siamese, his title in Siamese bein "Nun cha cha," or "new white man." The other is a leather billfold with his official title, "Captain Emil Iverson."

The Danes have extensive interests in Siam, and many young men are sent from the scools to Siam to aid the poeple of the country." Mr. Iverson said. "I was sent to help in physical education work. We dressed in conventional English clothes most of the time, but had pure suits with Cork helmets as sort of Uniform."

Among the claims about Iverson that I have found correct are... He did seem to be a fancy skater and doing some exhibitions in US. He indeed was leading an expedition to find "lost tribe" in 1927 too. Overall I don´t know. I´m sceptical.

I don't speak Thai either. What is the claim you're skeptical of? I see he's got a fairly stacked paragraph on Wikipedia but without any inline citations. Yeah, people do that sometimes on Wiki. They stack a paragraph with loads of info and then run away without sourcing it. But apparently there's some University of Minnesota article by James and John Iverson, not linked to. Those must be his relatives?

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
I don't speak Thai either. What is the claim you're skeptical of? I see he's got a fairly stacked paragraph on Wikipedia but without any inline citations. Yeah, people do that sometimes on Wiki. They stack a paragraph with loads of info and then run away without sourcing it. But apparently there's some University of Minnesota article by James and John Iverson, not linked to. Those must be his relatives?

Yep his great grandsons has wrote a book about him. I think it´s even admitted being partly fictional. But it´s true that atleast in 1927 he was on expedition and according to newspaper (Minneapolis Star 17. Sep 1927) made some foundings.

Well there seems to be so much stuff in his life. According himself he had been living in Argentina (hunting strange monkey). He would have been in Africa hunting elephants. In China and India also hunting trips. Army officer in Siam. Skating instructor in Denmark. Won fame in outdoor sports when in the Royal Institute in Copenhagen. Physical instructor several years in Denmark. Hockey coach in Chicago and Detroit before coming to Minnesota. The olympic soccer participation is obviously false, but that could be made up by newspapers.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
According himself he had been living in Argentina (hunting strange monkey). He would have been in Africa hunting elephants. In China and India also hunting trips. Army officer in Siam. Skating instructor in Denmark.

... :laugh: I love it. But I don't know if it's necessarily that odd, all those things. My grandfather for instance and his brother were both captains/seafarers and traveled to all different kinds of places around the world: Ghana, New Zealand, around the Cape Horn, et cetera. They weren't army officers though or big game hunters, or even skating instructors, but I think if you were in such a position to travel the globe, in an army position or whatever, you could probably see quite a bit of the world. I don't see the appeal myself though to purposely fictionalize anything about it, unless perhaps it's a straight cut novel, but who knows.

But I think at the time, amateur archeologist was probably a bit of a rockstar profession, with a fair amount of mystique and/or fame to it. In today's over-technological society with internet and drones and whatever, it's kinda gone away, because everyone knows everything, but back then I think it was highly popular. I've seen it presented with at least one additional hockey figure: Harvard defenseman and captain Bill Claflin Jr., though his archeological work seems to have been taken place exclusively on the North American continent in Utah and Georgia. I haven't got anything to do myself with any of those profiles though, so I'm not into all of the details.

I've seen other players doing outdoor surveys too, like one of the Cook brothers in Alberta, and Herman Koehler who played on the Montclair Athletic Club in the AAHL. He (Koehler) even died doing some type of survey in the Nunavik region of Quebec.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
The current book presentation about Lloyd Percival reminded me of Emil Iverson.

Emil Iverson was Black Hawks coach from late November 1931 to January 1933. Wikipedia is actually really wonky regarding Black Hawks coaches from that period. I believe my information is correct in this.

Iverson had been coaching Minnesota Gophers from 1923 to 1930 before and was gymnastic teacher in there. He joined Black Hawks as physical trainer in 1930 and surprisingly in 1931 got the head coach job after two games when Godfrey Matheson suffered burnout. His coaching heavily focused on training, conditiong, diet and such. His ideas did raise several kind of opinions. Some admired that he had made a strong skating team. But there certainlu was some resistance too.

The Sun Times 12. Jan 1932
...Iverson came to the Chicago Club at the start of last season, ostensibly as a trainer, but he was never a trainer. He was a physical director, and when you know the man you say that without smiling. Ambitious, sure of himself, and one of the foremost students of the fundamentals of athletics and physical condition, in athletics and out...

Why I write about Iverson in here is that according to sources he was born in Copenhagen, Denmark in 1892. And according to newspaper articles he wasn´t just born there. He would have gone through what was referred as Royal Institite of Gymnastics in Copenhagen. Now there had been Det kongelige militære gymnastiske Institut in Copenhagen. Though it would have been known Gymnastikskolen when Iverson had been in it. This would also fit to the claims that he had been Danish Army officer in Siam before coming to United States. Also seen claims that he would have done some skating coaching in Denmark too.

Wow, quite a story, in particular with the (alleged) follow-ups.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Harvard defenseman and captain Bill Claflin Jr., though his archeological work seems to have been taken place exclusively on the North American continent in Utah and Georgia.

Though now I see his Wiki page says/claims he visited more than 77 different countries around the world and stacked 34,000 artifacts in his own private museum in Belmont, Massachusetts.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
... :laugh: I love it. But I don't know if it's necessarily that odd, all those things. My grandfather for instance and his brother were both captains/seafarers and traveled to all different kinds of places around the world: Ghana, New Zealand, around the Cape Horn, et cetera. They weren't army officers though or big game hunters, or even skating instructors, but I think if you were in such a position to travel the globe, in an army position or whatever, you could probably see quite a bit of the world. I don't see the appeal myself though to purposely fictionalize anything about it, unless perhaps it's a straight cut novel, but who knows.

But I think at the time, amateur archeologist was probably a bit of a rockstar profession, with a fair amount of mystique and/or fame to it. In today's over-technological society with internet and drones and whatever, it's kinda gone away, because everyone knows everything, but back then I think it was highly popular. I've seen it presented with at least one additional hockey figure: Harvard defenseman and captain Bill Claflin Jr., though his archeological work seems to have been taken place exclusively on the North American continent in Utah and Georgia. I haven't got anything to do myself with any of those profiles though, so I'm not into all of the details.

I've seen other players doing outdoor surveys too, like one of the Cook brothers in Alberta, and Herman Koehler who played on the Montclair Athletic Club in the AAHL. He (Koehler) even died doing some type of survey in the Nunavik region of Quebec.

Yes I agree that it is a story that can be true. Its a wild one, but not quite outlandish to be clearly false. The thing that this potentional European coach wouldn´t have discovered (or atleast written more) before seems weird too. Being NHL coach almost one and half season does not make him that obscure.

Whether true or not it is great story :laugh:

Last edited:

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Wow, quite a story, in particular with the (alleged) follow-ups.

Yeah it is. Though what can be said in certainty is that he was "trailblazer" of sort in NHL. He was in one newspaper called Emil "Chart" Iverson. He was later rehired to Black Hawks in 1936 (IIRC). I have read him training players to optimal playing weight. Some needed to drop and some gain weight. He made calisthenic program to the team. And the thing that actually reminded me of Percival first was the fact that he took pride that Hawks had so little injuries (Percival seem took pride from same thing from North Stars). Also one small detail is that he was hired as physical director for Hawks to 1930-1931 season. Dick Irvin was then the head coach of Hawks.

But overall Iverson seemed quite eccentric and I don´t know how good or bad his programs were. And he got lot of critique of not being really a hockey mind. And in the some articles I have seen he seemed to heavily rely on experience of the players and that players should play together for several seasons to build chemistry.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad