Early Europeans in North America

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
Was going through my notes and remembered this.

Do you havy any more detailed information about Reima Haukka? It was rare that someone went to play junior hockey to NA as early as in mid 70´s.

Despite the name he was Swedish (probably strong Finnish roots). He played atleast one season in Dauphin Kings in 73.74 at Manitoba Junior Hockey League. And after that participated (or atleast was invited) to Phoenix Roadrunners training camp.

Here as Rima Haukka in HDB
Rima Haukka Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Reima Haukka
LW
Shoots- R
183 cm (6’) / 92 kg (204 Ibs)
Born March 6, 1954
[email protected]

Well, this is a really obscure player. I guess you won’t get any answer from anyone else than me, regarding a player like this. ;) Yes, he have Finnish roots, but also Estonian and Russian, as some of his close relatives were born there. Haukka worked as a teacher in civilian life and focused his work mainly on children with disabilities.

In sports he worked as a hockey coach after retiring in 1985 (for his old club Borås HC). Later he went on to work as an equipment manager in fotball (Elfsborg, a team from Borås).
In total he scored 177 points in 228 games for Borås HC.

Haukka came to Canada, at his own expense. He applied through the CAHA (Canadian Amateur Hockey Association). In March 1973 they relayed the message to Brandon Wheat Kings coach, Rudy Pilous who jumped at the opportunity. Possibly hoping that he had another Juha Widing on his hands.

Back then they liked his size, as he was a rather ”big kid” for that time. They praised his athltic abilities.
True or not, but it was said that he ran 100 metres in 11,2 seconds. The Brandon management clearly had optimistic plans for Haukka.

He had some Division 2 experience (seniors) from Sweden, and allegedly scored 101 points (51+50) in 20 junior games back home in 1971/72. He joined the Brandon training camp in August 1973.

September 13
Brandon Wheat Kings (Yellow)-Brandon Wheat Kings (White)

A scrimmage game between the Brandon players. Haukka picked up one penalty

September 20
Brandon Wheat Kings-Flin Flon Bombers 3-1

In the second pre season game, Brandon was involved in two fights, both by Haukka.
He took on Mark Davidson early in the first period and Tim Williams in the third. He won one, and lost one.

September 21

Third pre season game. He replaced future NHL’er Rick Blight on the top line alongside Ralph Krentz and another future NHL’er, Ron Chipperfield. Haukka assisted on Chipperfield’s opening goal after 16:35 of the first period. Haukka also picked up a minor penalty.

After the game Haukka was interviewed by the local media:
”Reima Haukka, who took Blight's place on Ron Chipperfield's line, doesn't wear suspenders to keep his hockey pants up. He uses a good, old-fashioned belt. Without a doubt, the Swede is. the best-built of the present Kings, and, at 204 pounds, the heaviest player, doesn't mind people calling him fat. "Yeah, there's a bit of fat, there," he says, "but I need it to keep healthy."

September 28
Saskatoon Blades-Brandon Wheat Kings 9-6

Haukka left the bench to enter into a fight with Ron ”The Beast” Ashton at 56:29. Unfortunately he ran into Ashton’s fist. Haukka was slapped with a game misconduct and a double minor.
This would eventually render him a suspension.

October 2

Haukka was suspended for two games for leaving the bench to fight (Sep.28)
At the same time he got cut from Brandon. Brandon played eight pre season games.
Chipperfield led the way with 14 points (10+4) and I believe Haukka only had one assist.

Rudy Pilous said: "Swede (Haukka) just wasn't good enough for major A junior hockey”

October 4

Haukka joined Dauphin Kings of the MJHL. He teamed up on one of the physically biggest lines in the league. All three were over 183 cm (6’) - Reima Haukka – Vernon Jebb – Barry Watson

October 7
Dauphin Kings-Selkirk Steelers 5-6 OT

Opening game of the season
Haukka 2 goals (including the game tying goal at 58:08)

October 21
Kenora Muskies-Dauphin Kings 4-8

Haukka 1 goal

November 11

Selkirk Steelers-Dauphin Kings 7-6 OT

Haukka 2 goals

January 13
Dauphin Kings-Portage la Prairie Terriers 6-2

Haukka 1 goal (on a great solo)

January 20
Portage la Prairie Terriers-Dauphin Kings 10-4

Haukka 1 goal

February 15
St.James Canadians-Dauphin Kings 3-6

Haukka 2 goals

February 19
Brandon Travellers-Dauphin Kings 7-5

Haukka 1 goal

February 21
Winnipeg Monarchs-Dauphin Kings 8-7

Haukka 1 goal

February 24
Dauphin Kings-Winnipeg Monarchs 7-5

Haukka 2 goals

He had another three goals that I didn't cover here.

Haukka finished the season with 49 points (16+33) in 48 games and a team high 137 PIM's.
He clearly had some balls, coming to Canada at his own expense, and then not backing down from anyone, taking fights without batting an eyelid. He just lacked the skills to play for the best juniors in Canada.
In any case, huge respect to him.

I can't find a game by the Czechoslovak national team at Rosenheim during the years in question. However, Dukla Jihlava (with Suchý and Holík) played in Füssen (also in Bavaria, a little more than 100 km from Rosenheim) in August 1969, which would fit the time frame nicely.

Both Suchý and Holik played in Bavaria (July/August 1967), with the national team, as well as Dukla Jihlava.
Dukla beat Füssen 11-4 and the national team played several games in Bavaria (Garmisch, Obertsdorf and Füssen)

Reactions: DN28

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Yes, he have Finnish roots, but also Estonian and Russian, as some of his close relatives were born there.

If they're Ingrian Finns that fled the Soviet regime to Sweden it would also make sense if they have relatives in Canada which was another popular destination.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Reima Haukka
LW
Shoots- R
183 cm (6’) / 92 kg (204 Ibs)
Born March 6, 1954
[email protected]

Well, this is a really obscure player. I guess you won’t get any answer from anyone else than me, regarding a player like this. ;) Yes, he have Finnish roots, but also Estonian and Russian, as some of his close relatives were born there. Haukka worked as a teacher in civilian life and focused his work mainly on children with disabilities.

In sports he worked as a hockey coach after retiring in 1985 (for his old club Borås HC). Later he went on to work as an equipment manager in fotball (Elfsborg, a team from Borås).
In total he scored 177 points in 228 games for Borås HC.

Haukka came to Canada, at his own expense. He applied through the CAHA (Canadian Amateur Hockey Association). In March 1973 they relayed the message to Brandon Wheat Kings coach, Rudy Pilous who jumped at the opportunity. Possibly hoping that he had another Juha Widing on his hands.

Back then they liked his size, as he was a rather ”big kid” for that time. They praised his athltic abilities.
True or not, but it was said that he ran 100 metres in 11,2 seconds. The Brandon management clearly had optimistic plans for Haukka.

He had some Division 2 experience (seniors) from Sweden, and allegedly scored 101 points (51+50) in 20 junior games back home in 1971/72. He joined the Brandon training camp in August 1973.

September 13
Brandon Wheat Kings (Yellow)-Brandon Wheat Kings (White)

A scrimmage game between the Brandon players. Haukka picked up one penalty

September 20

In the second pre season game, Brandon was involved in two fights, both by Haukka.
He took on Mark Davidson early in the first period and Tim Williams in the third. He won one, and lost one.

September 21

Third pre season game. He replaced future NHL’er Rick Blight on the top line alongside Ralph Krentz and another future NHL’er, Ron Chipperfield. Haukka assisted on Chipperfield’s opening goal after 16:35 of the first period. Haukka also picked up a minor penalty.

After the game Haukka was interviewed by the local media:
”Reima Haukka, who took Blight's place on Ron Chipperfield's line, doesn't wear suspenders to keep his hockey pants up. He uses a good, old-fashioned belt. Without a doubt, the Swede is. the best-built of the present Kings, and, at 204 pounds, the heaviest player, doesn't mind people calling him fat. "Yeah, there's a bit of fat, there," he says, "but I need it to keep healthy."

September 28
Saskatoon Blades-Brandon Wheat Kings 9-6

Haukka left the bench to enter into a fight with Ron ”The Beast” Ashton at 56:29. Unfortunately he ran into Ashton’s fist. Haukka was slapped with a game misconduct and a double minor.
This would eventually render him a suspension.

October 2

Haukka was suspended for two games for leaving the bench to fight (Sep.28)
At the same time he got cut from Brandon. Brandon played eight pre season games.
Chipperfield led the way with 14 points (10+4) and I believe Haukka only had one assist.

Rudy Pilous said: "Swede (Haukka) just wasn't good enough for major A junior hockey”

October 4

Haukka joined Dauphin Kings of the MJHL. He teamed up on one of the physically biggest lines in the league. All three were over 183 cm (6’) - Reima Haukka – Vernon Jebb – Barry Watson

October 7
Dauphin Kings-Selkirk Steelers 5-6 OT

Opening game of the season
Haukka 2 goals (including the game tying goal at 58:08)

October 21
Kenora Muskies-Dauphin Kings 4-8

Haukka 1 goal

November 11

Selkirk Steelers-Dauphin Kings 7-6 OT

Haukka 2 goals

January 13
Dauphin Kings-Portage la Prairie Terriers 6-2

Haukka 1 goal (on a great solo)

January 20
Portage la Prairie Terriers-Dauphin Kings 10-4

Haukka 1 goal

February 15
St.James Canadians-Dauphin Kings 3-6

Haukka 2 goals

February 19
Brandon Travellers-Dauphin Kings 7-5

Haukka 1 goal

February 21
Winnipeg Monarchs-Dauphin Kings 8-7

Haukka 1 goal

February 24
Dauphin Kings-Winnipeg Monarchs 7-5

Haukka 2 goals

He had another three goals that I didn't cover here.

Haukka finished the season with 49 points (16+33) in 48 games and a team high 137 PIM's.
He clearly had some balls, coming to Canada at his own expense, and then not backing down from anyone, taking fights without batting an eyelid. He just lacked the skills to play for the best juniors in Canada.
In any case, huge respect to him.

Both Suchý and Holik played in Bavaria (July/August 1967), with the national team, as well as Dukla Jihlava.
Dukla beat Füssen 11-4 and the national team played several games in Bavaria (Garmisch, Obertsdorf and Füssen)

Thank you! :) Lot of new information.

Phoenix Roadrunners (edit. WHA Roadrunners) had their first camp partly in Brandon so maybe with his bold attitude he have managed to talk him to there too. Atleast his name appears in the training camp roster printed in newspaper.

First I was sure he was Finnish-Canadian, but did discover that he was Swedish. It was some years ago and I do believe I have seen that Rudy Pilous praise in article, but have totally neglected that it was Brandon Wheat Kings he was first associated. I considered the Estonian background, but his name seem more Finnish.

Overall.. yes cheers for him for having guts to chase the dream and nice to hear he has find work from sport after his career.

Last edited:

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
Sanf, do you have any information on Jarmo Lehtonen and Seppo ”Sep” Ruuska?

I know that Lehtonen was born in Rauma 1948, but I could not find him playing in Finland at any time.
He played in Kitchener already as a 17 year old in 1965. Vancouver Canucks (WHL) selected him in the draft 1966 (affiliated to NY Rangers). After three years with Kitchener, he did play a couple of years for Waterloo Lutheran University.

The other guy Seppo Ruuska, what about him? Did he ever play in Finland, or was even born there?
He first played with Chatham Maroons in 1965 and was drafted by Houston Apollos (CPHL) in 1966 (affiliated to Montreal Canadiens). Ruuska then played for Aurora Tigers and later for Ryerson Polytechnic.
It seems that he lives in Brantford these days, but I have no further info on these guys.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010

I can't count. I was aware the Czechoslovak national team played against Germany at Garmisch-Partenkirchen in August 1967, but somehow how I thought Suchý was closer to 23 in August 1969. In reality he was almost 23 in August 1967 and almost 25 in August 1969. Coupled with the fact that he was talking about the national team, July/August 1967 is the more likely date for the Detroit offer.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Sanf, do you have any information on Jarmo Lehtonen and Seppo ”Sep” Ruuska?

I know that Lehtonen was born in Rauma 1948, but I could not find him playing in Finland at any time.
He played in Kitchener already as a 17 year old in 1965. Vancouver Canucks (WHL) selected him in the draft 1966 (affiliated to NY Rangers). After three years with Kitchener, he did play a couple of years for Waterloo Lutheran University.

The other guy Seppo Ruuska, what about him? Did he ever play in Finland, or was even born there?
He first played with Chatham Maroons in 1965 and was drafted by Houston Apollos (CPHL) in 1966 (affiliated to Montreal Canadiens). Ruuska then played for Aurora Tigers and later for Ryerson Polytechnic.
It seems that he lives in Brantford these days, but I have no further info on these guys.

I will send you links to few obituaries which has made me believe that Jarmo Lehtonen moved with his parents as a young kid to Sudbury. I don´t have certainty to this, but everything would fit to the timeline.

Other than that I don´t have information about him. Some game repots. One newspaper with action photo of him. Something that you probably already have?

Seppo Ruuska is total mistery to me. Haven´t really find anything to link him to Finland besides his name.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Found my original notes from this research and few small additions to the OP.

Tord Lundström already is on the list. Folke Bengtson´s training camp time with Rangers is also mentioned, but later he was taken to Red Wings negotiation list.

St.Louis Sporting News
January 22, 1966
The New York Rangers sent assistant General Manager Jack Gordon to try to convince Czechoslovakia's Vaclav Nedomansky to turn pro, while Detroit’s chief scout Jimmy Skinner placed the name of two Swedes on the Red Wings negotiation list. The Swedes are left wingers Tord Lundstrom and Folke Bengtsson. Said Skinner: "The Swedes interested me because they’re young. There’s not much use getting a 25-year-old because he has a lot to learn about the North American style to play.

According to Winnipeg Free Press Håkan Nygren and Kjell Sundström (new name) were on Red Wings list. This would be only few months. after according to one source Nygren being on North Stars list.

Winnipeg Free Press

February 11, 1967
Centre Hakan Nygren and right winger Kjell Sundstrom are, on the negotiation list of the Detroit Red Wings, for instance. Minnesota North Star scouts also professed to have interest in them.

Sometimes I wonder how well the writers were actually on map with this. Though sometimes teams added name and dropped it quite sortly after. For example one of the most famous additions to negotiation list was when Canadiens put Dzurilla on their list.But he wasn´t there for long. He was dropped few months after that and replaced with young promising Soviet goalie Sergei Babariko.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
What was the purpose of this?

It´s a good question and I would hope that I would have full answer to this. (Maybe RGO has better one)

The Montreal Gazette Nov,11,1965

The negotiation list, under which an NHL club can receive exclusive negotiation rights for at least four players for at least a year, was described as a "life-saver" because it had helped eliminate bidding wars and large bonuses.

That is the best answer I can give. So it was way to get players rights. And to my understanding used on non-pros "overaged" for the draft. Like in drafting they weren´t obligated to inform player or pay him anything to put him on the negotiation list. This form of negotiation list was disbanded in 1977 IIRC.

Though the term negotiation list is often used in different ways. For example players that had signed C-Form were talked to be on negotiation list. Similarly the players that were drafted by a club.

I´m not 100% sure if the negotion list in this thread always means the same thing. For example North Stars during the formation of their expansion team had significantly more than 4 players at the time on their negotiation list.

Last edited:

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Was not doing research on this, but found out that Czechoslovakian (Czech) goalie Jan Marek had tryout/practiced with Maple Leafs in 1968. I knew he played in Germany in 70´s and always thought he probably defected. It was well reported that he was with Maple Leafs, but that has managed to slip up from me.

Link to Calgary Herald.
The Calgary Herald - Google News Archive Search

Quite many "Czechoslovakian" goalies was with Maple Leafs, but Michal Neuvirth was the first Czech goalie to be associated with Maple Leafs after the Czechoslovakia split (IIRC).

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
I thought it would be neat thing to take a look at the early European players who got attention from North Americans.

Players that were put on negotiaion lists of NHL clubs, were invited to training camps or just generally were commented on that they could play in the NHL.

When time permits I will look at each and everyone of them, how they did at the training camps, or just comment on their chances to make it over in North America.

Of course, the criteria is that they spent their formative years playing in Europe, thus players like Stan Mikita, Ivan Boldirev, Walt Tkaczuk, Stan Smrke, etc do not qualify.

Here’s a list of the ones that I am aware of at the moment, please add players if you see that I am missing anyone. I know that for example Bohumil Modrý, the Czechoslovakian goalie had offers from the NHL in 1947 or 1948, but I have not found any contemporary sources. Aside from that, I do have some other names in my files that I haven't been able to verify.

I believe that this might be the most comprehensive list that's been presented so far.
But having said that, it's not complete, and I'm sure I have forgot about some players.

YearNameCountryComment
1922Alfred de RauchFranceNHL'er Gerry Geran thought he could play in the USA
1922Louis BrasseurFranceNHL'er Gerry Geran thought he could play in the USA
1922Robert LacroixFranceNHL'er Gerry Geran thought he could play in the USA
1931Josef MalečekCzechoslovakiaInvited to attend New York Rangers training camp
1949Jaroslav DrobnýCzechoslovakiaBoston Bruins negotiation list
1949Vladimir ZábrodskýCzechoslovakiaInterest from Boston Bruins and Vancouver Canucks (PCHL)
1950Aarne HonkavaaraFinlandPlayed for Sarnia Sailors
1956 Nikolai Puchkov Soviet Union Cleveland Barons (AHL) negotiation list
He was also offered a $ 10.000 contract
1956Nikolai SologubovSoviet UnionNHL-calibre player according to North American observers
1956Yuri KrylovSoviet UnionNHL-calibre player according to North American observers
1956Aleksei GuryshevSoviet UnionNHL-calibre player according to North American observers
1956Yuri PantyukhovSoviet UnionNHL-calibre player according to North American observers
1957Sven JohanssonSwedenBoston Bruins training camp
1958Lars BjörnSwedenBoston Bruins training camp
1958Veniamin AleksandrovSoviet UnionChicago Blackhawks negotiation list
1958Ivan TregubovSoviet UnionNHL-calibre player according to North American observers
1958Yuri KopylovSoviet UnionNHL-calibre player according to North American observers
1962Lennart HäggrothSwedenInvited to attend Boston Bruins training camp
1962Ulf SternerSwedenInvited to attend Boston Bruins training camp
New York Rangers negotiation list 1963
New York Rangers training camp 1963 & 1964
Drafted by New York Raiders (WHA) 1972
Chicago Cougars (WHA) training camp 1972
1962Roland StoltzSwedenInvited to attend Boston Bruins training camp
1962Nils NilssonSwedenInvited to attend Boston Bruins training camp
1963Carl-Göran ÖbergSwedenToronto Maple Leafs training camp
1963Kjell SvenssonSwedenToronto Maple Leafs training camp
1963Jiři (George) KrenCzechoslovakiaToronto Maple Leafs training camp
1963Jean Paupardin France Montreal Canadiens training camp
1964Juha Widing Sweden Invited by New Rangers
Attended Brandon Wheat Kings training camp
Drafted by Ontario (Ottawa) Nationals (WHA) 1972
1964Folke Bengtsson Sweden New York Rangers training camp
Detroit Red Wings negotiation list 1966
1964Jan-Erik SjöbergSwedenNew York Rangers training camp
1964Sören BlomgrenSwedenNew York Rangers training camp
1964Øystein MellerudNorwayNew York Rangers training camp
1965Václav NedomanskýCzechoslovakiaNew York Rangers negotiation list
Drafted by Calgary Broncos (WHA) 1972
1965Vladimir DzurillaCzechoslovakiaInvited to attend Toronto Maple Leafs training camp
Los Angeles Kings negotiation list 1967
Montreal Canadiens negotiation list 1976
1965Luděk BukačCzechoslovakiaBoston Bruins training camp
Skated with Chicago Blackhawks
1965Tord Lundström Sweden Detroit Red Wings negotiation list
1965Håkan NygrenSwedenDetroit Red Wings negotiation list
Minnesota North Stars negotiation list 1966
1965Stig-Göran JohanssonSwedenInvited to attend New York Rangers training camp
1966Kjell Sundström Sweden Detroit Red Wings negotiation list
1967Jaroslav HolikCzechoslovakiaLos Angeles Kings negotiation list
1967Jozef GolonkaCzechoslovakiaLos Angeles Kings negotiation list
St. Louis Blues negotiation list 1968
1967Lennart SvedbergSwedenInvited to attend St. Louis Blues training camp
Detroit Red Wings negotiation list 1969
Detroit Red Wings training camp 1969
1967Pentti LindegrenFinlandInvited to attend St. Louis Blues training camp
1968Lauri MononenFinlandInvited to attend Los Angeles Kings training camp
1968Jorma AhoFinlandNew York Rangers training camp
1968Sakari AhlbergFinlandNew York Rangers training camp
1968Leif HolmqvistSwedenScrimmaged with Boston Bruins (March 1968)
Invited to attend Boston Bruins training camp
Drafted by Edmonton Oil Kings (WHA) 1972
Detroit Red Wings training camp 1973
1968Arne CarlssonSwedenMinnesota North Stars negotiation list
Detroit Red Wings negotiation list 1969
1968Lars-Göran NilssonSwedenMinnesota North Stars negotiation list
St. Louis Blues negotiation list (year unknown)
1968Leif HenrikssonSwedenDetroit Red Wings training camp
1968Josef HorešovskýCzechoslovakiaSt. Louis Blues negotiation list
1968Jan HavelCzechoslovakiaSt. Louis Blues negotiation list
1968Jaroslav JiříkCzechoslovakiaSt. Louis Blues negotiation list
St. Louis Blues training camp 1969
1968Jan Marek Czechoslovakia Attended Toronto Maple Leafs training camp
1968Viktor Tišlar (Tišler)YugoslaviaSt. Louis Blues training camp
1968Albin FelcYugoslavia St. Louis Blues training camp
1968Anton GaleYugoslaviaBoston Bruins training camp
Chicago Blackhawks training camp 1970
1968Ivo Jan Yugoslavia Detroit Red Wings training camp
1968Viktor Ravnik Yugoslavia Detroit Red Wings training camp
1968Ciril Klinar Yugoslavia Invited to attend Detroit Red Wings training camp
1968Ivo RatajYugoslaviaInvited to attend Detroit Red Wings training camp
1969Anatoli FirsovSoviet UnionLos Angeles Kings negotiation list
1969 Tommy Salmelainen Finland Detroit Red Wings negotiation list
St. Louis training camp
Drafted by St. Louis Blues 1969
1969 Esa Isaksson Finland Invited to attend St. Louis Blues training camp
1969Veli-Pekka KetolaFinlandDetroit Red Wings training camp
1969Petr Hejma Czechoslovakia Detroit Red Wings training camp
Toronto Maple Leafs training camp 1970
1969Jiři BastlCzechoslovakiaChicago Blackhawks training camp
Chicago Cougars (WHA) training camp 1973
1969Karel Straka CzechoslovakiaOttawa 67's (OHA) training camp
1970Miroslav GojanovićYugoslaviaChicago Blackhawks training camp
Los Angeles Sharks (WHA) training camp 1972
Drafted by Los Angeles Sharks (WHA) 1972
1970Rudi Hiti Yugoslavia Chicago Blackhawks training camp
Los Angeles Sharks (WHA) training camp 1972
Drafted by Los Angeles Sharks (WHA) 1972
1970Lasse Oksanen Finland Vancouver Canucks training camp
1970Jorma Peltonen Finland Invited to attend Vancouver Canucks training camp
1970Kjell-Rune Milton Sweden Invited to attend Vancouver Canucks training camp
1971Ard Schenk Netherlands Chicago Blackhawks negotiation list
(This was a publicity stunt as he was a speedskater)
1972Juhani TamminenFinlandToronto Maple Leafs training camp
1972Jorma ValtonenFinlandToronto Maple Leafs training camp
1972 Ilpo Koskela Finland Invited to attend Toronto Maple Leafs training camp
1972Marek (Mark) Turek Czechoslovakia Toronto Maple Leafs training camp
1972Thommie Bergman Sweden Detroit Red Wings training camp
1972 Christer Abrahamsson Sweden Negotiated with Buffalo Sabres
1972Jaroslav (Jarda) Krupička CzechoslovakiaLos Angeles Sharks (WHA) training camp
1972Zoltan Horvath Hungary Los Angeles Sharks (WHA) training camp
1972 Benny Andersson Sweden Chicago Cougars (WHA) training camp
1972Valeri KharlamovSoviet UnionDrafted by Calgary Broncos (WHA)
Chicago Blackhawks negotiation list
1972Yuri Blinov Soviet Union Drafted by Calgary Broncos (WHA)
1972Jan Eysselt CzechoslovakiaDrafted by Calgary Broncos (WHA)
1972Gunnar Lindqvist Sweden Drafted by Calgary Broncos (WHA)
1972Alois SchloderWest Germany Drafted by Calgary Broncos (WHA)
Also drafted by Los Angeles Sharks (WHA)
1972Vladislav Tretiak Soviet Union Drafted by New York Raiders (WHA)
1972Seppo Lindström Finland Drafted by Winnipeg Jets (WHA)
1972František TikalCzechoslovakiaDrafted by Winnipeg Jets (WHA)
1972 Reinhold BauerWest GermanyDrafted by Miami Screaming Eagles (WHA)
1972 Aleksandr Ragulin Soviet Union Drafted by New York Raiders (WHA)
1972 Evgeny MishakovSoviet Union Drafted by Miami Screaming Eagles (WHA)
1972 Aleksandr Maltsev Soviet Union Drafted by Calgary Broncos (WHA)
1972 Vladimir Petrov Soviet Union Drafted by Calgary Broncos (WHA)
1972 Jiří HolečekCzechoslovakia Drafted by Ontario (Ottawa) Nationals (WHA)
1972 Jiří KochtaCzechoslovakia Drafted by Ontario (Ottawa) Nationals (WHA)
1972 Vladimir Bouzek Czechoslovakia Drafted by Los Angeles Sharks (WHA)
1972 Jiří HolikCzechoslovakia Drafted by Los Angeles Sharks (WHA)
1972 Ivan Hlinka Czechoslovakia Drafted by Los Angeles Sharks (WHA)
1972 Leif Svensson Sweden Drafted by Edmonton Oil Kings (WHA)
1972 Boris Mikhailov Soviet Union Drafted by Miami Screaming Eagles (WHA)
1972 Aleksei Kosygin Soviet Union Drafted by Winnipeg Jets (WHA)
A mock pick as he was the Soviet prime minister
He was one week shy of his 68th birthday - The oldest pick ever
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Interesting to see several players from Yugoslavia in the late 1960's. I assume they played in what is modern-day Slovenia. Would be curious if there was a strong domestic league or if those players were in other leagues.

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
Interesting to see several players from Yugoslavia in the late 1960's. I assume they played in what is modern-day Slovenia. Would be curious if there was a strong domestic league or if those players were in other leagues.

I believe they were primarily scouted at the 1968 Olympics in Grenoble. They played in the weaker "B-Group", but impressed there, winning all their games. Guys like Tisler and Felc played really well in the tournament.

Also, a guy like Klinar was a six time scoring champion back home, so he was quite dominant in the domestic league.
Yugoslavia in general was more "open" than the other Iron Curtain countries, so the players actually got released to join the training camps.

Both Tisler and Gale didn't do all that bad, and I think they both were offered pro contracts. Tisler even played in the AHL (Springfield) for a year.

The leading team at the time was Jesenice, and yes that team was located in what is Slovenia today. The league in itself was not that strong, but Jesenice had a pretty solid team that played a lot of friendly games all around Europe, many times against high quality teams.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
I believe they were primarily scouted at the 1968 Olympics in Grenoble. They played in the weaker "B-Group", but impressed there, winning all their games. Guys like Tisler and Felc played really well in the tournament.

Also, a guy like Klinar was a six time scoring champion back home, so he was quite dominant in the domestic league.
Yugoslavia in general was more "open" than the other Iron Curtain countries, so the players actually got released to join the training camps.

Both Tisler and Gale didn't do all that bad, and I think they both were offered pro contracts. Tisler even played in the AHL (Springfield) for a year.

The leading team at the time was Jesenice, and yes that team was located in what is Slovenia today. The league in itself was not that strong, but Jesenice had a pretty solid team that played a lot of friendly games all around Europe, many times against high quality teams.

Thanks for this. Where can I read more about these players and Yugoslav hockey? It is interesting to look at the countries that participated in the 1980 Olympics. A few of whom are now at lower levels in the IIHF (though much of that is attributable to the break up of the Soviet Union and Czechoslovakia creating more hockey countries).

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
Thanks for this. Where can I read more about these players and Yugoslav hockey? It is interesting to look at the countries that participated in the 1980 Olympics. A few of whom are now at lower levels in the IIHF (though much of that is attributable to the break up of the Soviet Union and Czechoslovakia creating more hockey countries).

A good start if you want to read about ice hockey in Yugoslavia is the book Hokej na ledu v Sloveniji: 1926–2006

I don't have it in front of me right now, but if my memory serves me well, it is both in English and Slovenian.

hokej-ledu-v-sloveniji-1926-2006-j-popovic-hzs-2007-slika-18306648.jpg

Reactions: tarheelhockey

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Tisler seems to have had a hard go at it in the AHL at age 25.

Victor Tisler Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Jeff McVay

Apr 27, 2020
A good start if you want to read about ice hockey in Yugoslavia is the book Hokej na ledu v Sloveniji: 1926–2006

I don't have it in front of me right now, but if my memory serves me well, it is both in English and Slovenian.

hokej-ledu-v-sloveniji-1926-2006-j-popovic-hzs-2007-slika-18306648.jpg
This is one of my Favorite Hockey books that I own. Just wish it had details and stats for each individual season.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
I was looking for other stuff, but found this. Mononen actually is already on the list, but Esa Peltonen (who is the father of Ville Peltonen) isn´t yet. Age was actually 21, but thats still closer than it usually is.

The Los Angeles Times 15. November 1968
General Manager Larry Regan´s trip to Europe has gained one small return for the Kings so far. He announced that the Kings obtained the professional rights to a pair of 20-year-old Finns -Esa Peltonen and Lauri Mononen. No one knows if they can play hockey, but their names have a certain poetie ring to them...

It does not fit to the time span of OP, but not that long ago noticed that Seppo Ahokainen got some interest from both WHA and NHL. And was seen as sort of prospect to NA. He was put on Negotiation list of Edmonton Oilers in autumn of 1974 and even prior to that Atlanta Flames had put him on their negotiation list. Seen as more rugged player than many Europeans.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
And I could ask if anyone has any info of Vladimir Korec? According to couple articles he signed 5 game tryout with Phoenix Roadrunners (WHL) in early December 1968.

According to the article he had played previously for Slovan Bratislaca and Czechoslavakias junior NT. He was 20 years old and played center. I don´t know anything about him. (In truth this story can be almost anything, but there were others defectors trying out in different clubs in NT at that time).

I guess that Laszlo Farkas the Hungarian player who defected (1970) could count to this. In 1970 he was in Flyers/Aces camp (recommended by some Quebec businesman???) and in 1971 he was with few Bruins minor league teams camps ("I don´t know if he can play hockey, but he is rougher than a cob") .

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
Juha Widing, the unrestful trailblaser:
  • Born in Finland.
  • Raised in the middle of Sweden.
  • Moved to my home town and played for soccer club GAIS-In hockey
  • Came of age in Canada, he actually DID play for Brandon Wheat Kings.
  • The first european bred NHL regular
  • Lived out his life in north america. Died there of alcohol.
How can you not dig this unrestful soul? Pretty fair player as well.
Juha Widing was with the New York Rangers just long enough to catch my attention in 1969-70, and then - with Real Lemieux - was traded to the Los Angeles Kings for Ted Irvine near the end of the season. The next three seasons, Widing led the Kings in points, and was second in 1973-74 (four points behind Butch Goring). Juha was one of the best skaters in the NHL, and was a terrific playmaking center/centre. He sure stood out with that head of hair of his.
gettyimages-71655463-1024x1024.jpg

tempofound

Oct 18, 2013
Small nit-pick regarding the nickname Sven "Tumba" Johansson.

Tumba is a suburb south of Stockholm, not north, and Tumba didn't earn the nickname while living there. It was when he moved from Tumba to Täby on the other side of town, that his teammates started to call him Tumba.

Reactions: johan f

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
I know this dont´t fit to the time span, but I´m going to put it here anyway (though I know it probably interest few). Did some searching and even bit of surprisingly found out that Seppo Ahokainen was very highly regarded in NA when he was 21-24. And it seems that it wasn´t that far that he would have been the first Finnish trained player to play in NHL.

He was this hard working winger who had fine offensive skills. But he was never regarded big star player here. Very modest guy who never made number out of himself. He also is the first one to captain both big clubs from Tampere (Tappara and Ilves). And to my knowledge still the only one who has been regular captain of both.

He had long career in NT. 8 WHCs and one olympics. There is mentioning in the clippings about boycotting 76 WHCs. He and many others protested coaches drunken behaviour in previous tournament. So him and lot of other Finish key players (Pekka Marjamäki, Urpo Ylönen, Seppo Lindström...) skipped and for that reason they weren´t selected to Canada Cup either. Which probably hurt Ahokainen´s later chance to play in NHL.

Edmonton Journal 31. Jan 1974
"When he came back to Edmonton after retiring as Finnish coach, he told Hunter to put two Finnish players on Oilers negotiation list. The players are defenceman Jorma Aro and forward Seppo Ahokanen, both 21.

"Ahokainen is a fast and more rugged than Inge Hammastron," said Lunde of the Swedish import playing for Toronto Maple Leafs. "Ahokainen and Aro could play in the WHA, I´m sure."

Len Lunde was former NHL player. He came to Finland and first worked player-coach in Ilves (linemate of Ahokainen) and then for one season as Finnish NT coach.

The Atlanta Constitution 23. Mar 1974
...The Flames already have one Finnish player, Seppo Ahokainen, on their negotiation list and could bring him to training camp in September...

According to Fletcher, Ahokainen is a 22-year-old forward "who isn´t far from being ready for the NHL."

Cliff Fletcher obiously longtime GM. One of the men behind getting Jaroslav Jirik to NA.

Star Tribune 25. Feb 1976

The Norh Stars put Ahokainen on their negotiation list recently after getting glowing reports on him from Murray Williamson, who just returned from winter Olympics.

"Ahokainen is a speedy left-winger who scored two goals and had an assist when the Finns beat the Russians 5-2 in a pre-Olympics game." said Williamson. "There´s no doubt in my mind that he could help the North Stars now. He has agreed to come over the United States for just his expenses to try out with the North Stars. The big problem is that he cannot speak English and an English-speaking friend who was going to accompany his has backed out.

"I´ve talked to his coach and there is a possibility that the coach will come over with him" said Williamson.

Murray Williamson was USA NT coach for several years. Worked as North Stars Vice President.

Star Tribune 2. Mar 1976
The North Stars are hopeful of giving a tryout to Finnish star Seppo Ahokainen for five games from March 10-17. "We won´t know for until Wednesday when we can reach his coach," said Bush. "Our scouts tell us Ahokainen can play in the NHL. We´re also going to pursue Roland Ericksson, one of the Swedish hockey stars."

Star Tribune 6. Mar 1976
Seppo Ahokainen, outstanding Finish hockey player, has decided not to join the North Stars until next fall when he will try-out with the team.

Star Tribune 11. Apr 1976
This group includes Seppo Ahokainen, the star of the Finnish team, and Dan Labraaten and Roland Ericksson, two members of the Swedish team. "We think all three players could make our team," Said Jack Gordon, North Stars general manager. "And we will try to sign them."

Star Tribune 3. May 1976

Sepo Ahokainen, the star of the Finnish team, wasn´t in the tournament because five of the players on his team decided to boycott their coach. "I talked to several coaches and newspapermen. They all have a high regard for Ahokainen an believe he could play in the NHL."

Comment of Andre Beaulieu assistant coach of North Stars.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Found the old list of mine of the negotiation list/training camp invitation. Mind as well put it in here. The time span of these are mainly from 1972-1977. I took the earlier out, because all of them are mentioned in the thread earlier. There still might be duplicates. I´m fairly certain that I have lost few names. And the years mentioned are the ones I have found contemporary source.

During that time span there were already europeans playing (and getting drafted to) in NHL and WHA. But negotiation list was still useful tool to get players rights especially for overage Europeans. For example Hedberg and Nilsson wanted to play in the same club. But their rights were owned by different teams in NHL. So before the end of negotiation list they were hard to get. The bidding war started when NHL disbanded the negotiation list in October 1977. They became free agents and bidding war started.

Obviously I have no idea if some other teams also had Europeans on their negotiation list (you could have 4 players at one time). North Stars and Wren Blair seemed to be the one who had most interested. His list was full of Swedes. He added some of them to Penguins list too when he went there.

DETROIT RED WINGS
Leif Holmqvist SWE 1974 NL
Tord Lundström SWE 1974 NL
Vladislav Tretiak SUN 1974 and 1976 NL
Valeri Kharlamov SUN 1976 NL
Dan Labraaten SWE 1976 NL
rights traded to North Stars

MONTREAL CANADIENS
Anatoli Firsov SUN 1974 NL
Lars-Erik Sjöberg SWE 1974 NL
Vladimir Dzurilla Montreal CSK 1976 NL
Sergei Babariko SUN 1976 NL
(replaced Dzurilla)
Per Olov Brasar SWE 1977 NL

CHICAGO BLACK HAWKS
Valeri Kharlamov CSK 1972 NL
Arnd Schenk NED 1972 NL

BUFFALO SABRES
Thommy Abrahamsson SWE 1973 (71-73) NL
Ulf Nilsson SWE -1977 NL

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS
Jorma Valtonen FIN 1972 TC
Ilpo Koskela FIN 1972 TCI
Juhani Tamminen FIN 1972 TC
Lauri Mononen FIN 1972 TC
Curt Larsson SWE 1972 NG
Börje Salming SWE 1973 NL
Inge Hammaström SWE 1973 NL
Andres Hedberg SWE 1975-1977 NL

MINNESOTA NORTH STARS
Mats Åhlberg SWE 1974-1976 NL
Hans Hansson SWE 1974 NL
Dan Söderström SWE 1974 NL
Ulf Weinstock SWE 1975 NL
Martin Karlsson SWE 1975 NL
Kjell-Rune Milton SWE 1975 NL
(replaced Karlsson)
Peter Gudmundson SWE 1975 NL
Seppo Havukainen FIN 1976 NL
Dan Labraaten SWE 1976-1977 NL
Bengt Lundholm SWE 1977 NL
Lars-Gunnar Lundberg SWE 1977 NL
Kent-Erik Andersson SWE 1977 NL
Willy Lindström SWE 1977 NL
Per-Olov Brasar SWE 1977 NL

VANCOUVER CANUCKS
Jesper Hviid DEN 1974 NL
William Löfquist SWE 1973-1974 NL
Dan Labraaten SWE 1973 NL
Erich Kühnhackl BRD 1974 NL
(10-day trial invitation)

PITTSBURGH PENGUINS
Jorma Valtonen FIN 1974 TC
Ivan Hlinka CSK 1974 (74-76) NL
Ulf Weinstock SWE 1976 NL
Peter Gudmundson SWE 1976 NL
Erich Kühnhackl BRD 1976 NL

NEW YORK RANGERS
Hardy Aström SWE 1976-1977 NL

ATLANTA FLAMES
Vaclav Nedomansky CSK 1973 NL
Seppo Havukainen FIN 1974 NL

ST LOUIS BLUES
Lasse Oksanen FIN 1971 NL

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Was refreshing my memory on which years the West German team toured NA when I found this. Ernst Köpf and Leonhard Waitl were invited to Boston Bruins camp. To my knowledge neither attended at the end.

The Windsor Star 11. Feb 1965
German Stars Impress Bruins

Two members of the touring West German National Hockey Team have been invited to attend Boston Bruins National League training camp, it was reported Wednesday.

Forward Ernest Koeph and defenceman Leonhard Weitl were approached by a Boston scout in Ottawa last week and asked to try with Bruins next September.

Koepf, 24 and Weitl, 25 have played hockey for 10 years. Both expressed interest in the Boston offer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad