Confirmed with Link: Eakins to Coach Edmonton

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Don't be surprised if Bozak follows him to Edmonton, perfect fit, just a gut feeling.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If Randy Carlye was still in Anaheim does anyone wonder if today Dallas Eakins would be the Leafs head coach? I remember Brian Burke said he seriously considered Eakins for the job, but he didn't want to break him up from the success the Marlies were having.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Edmonton is a perfect fit for Eakins. With that D core, Eakins will feel like he's right back at home in the AHL.

rim-shot-.jpg

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Wish Eakins well if the rumors prove true. Hope he has success against everyone except the Leafs:) I will miss his post game interviews too... they were informative and interesting.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Don't be surprised if Bozak follows him to Edmonton, perfect fit, just a gut feeling.

Well if Bozak wants 5 - 5.5 and Edmonton is willing to pay him that then that's cool but I would be a bit upset if Bozak left for 4 million or so what I think Toronto will sign him for. And yes if Bozak left for Edmonton it wouldn't be because Dallas is coaching them.

Last edited:

wulfio*

they'd have to get rid of horcoff if they're going to pay another lower skill center 5+ mill.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Don't care, he's a good coach, but he's had a pretty stacked roster. Kadri, zigs, reimer, scrivens, gardiner, ranger, Connolly, Komisarek... Recently no young players have had alot of success with him. Sure veterans have, frazer, Hamilton, and our elite prospects in gardiner and kadri, goalies who've had stellar numbers at all levels, Reimer and scrivens.

I'd rather caryle, he took Boston to 7, with inferior talent then the likes of rangers and Pittsburgh. He found the bruins weakness and the leafs largely outplayed Boston in the last 3 games, unfortunately the wheels on the team fell off on the end. Even still lupul had the game on his stick And rask made a phenomenal save in ot.

Doesn't take away the fact that caryle, was outcoaching julien.

I'm very happy with caryle. He's strategic, and works hard and is fantastic with the Toronto media.

Good luck to Eakins. Not going to lose sleep though.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Who was the last good, young, up and coming coach to go from the AHL to the NHL?

Bruce Boudreau? Mike Yeo? Ron Rolston?

The reason I bring this up is because I don't think any of these 3 guys came from a different organization. All 3 of them had come from their minor league affiliate.

Now I'm not trying to discredit this signing by the Oilers because I wish Eakins success and think he will do a good job, but its odd that he comes in knowing very few of the people in their. (in comparison to if he was going to the Leafs)

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
That's pretty much a dream scenario for Eakins. He gets the chance to take over a team with a good amount of talent, who probably underachieved last year, and would likely have been better this year regardless of who was coaching.

Even better, they likely have enough offenisve talent, especially on the PP, that he can institute his ultra-defensive system and still score enough to win.

He really couldn't ask for a better spot to start his coaching career. Good for him.

The only problem is his GM - I have a hunch that MacT has already misdiagnosed the oilers' problems and will make a number of dumb moves to address areas of the team that don't need addressing - i.e. I bet you he replaces the very underrated Dubnyk with a more expensive and worse goalie.

Not a big fan of Eakins, but he's probably an upgrade on Krueger, and he's a good guy so I wish him luck.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
I see Eakins being a better choice for a younger team. Isn't part of the reason why he's so good with the marlies the fact that he's great at developing young players? Personally, I think he would have done wonders in Edmonton. Thank god thats not going to happen though :laugh:

sorry, this post gave me a chuckle.

Anyways, I'm glad that he found a home in Edmonton and it seems like he's a good fit.

wulfio*

i'm sure the islanders want to move dipietro, and the canucks want to move luongo, and tampa wants to move vinny. But who's going to take those guys? Who in their right mind would take horcoff?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
i'm sure the islanders want to move dipietro, and the canucks want to move luongo, and tampa wants to move vinny. But who's going to take those guys? Who in their right mind would take horcoff?

While Horcoff has a $5.5 mil cap hit for the last 2 years of his deal he only makes $4 mil and then $3 mil actual salary.

Small market budget teams playing near the cap floor find these kinds of contracts valuable when higher Cap hit than actual salary becomes a benefit.

Because of his front loaded contract Edmonton could compliance buyout Horcoff at a buyout cost at $4.66 mil spread over 4 years or a little over $1 mil per year in actual $$ handed out.

Oilers have options here to reshape Edmonton to better suit a Eakins style and coached team.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Dreger is suggesting that the Eakins hire could result in Paul Ranger signing in Edmonton if he decides to return to the NHL. He also says that is a "Big IF".

peety16

Apr 12, 2011
Dreger is suggesting that the Eakins hire could result in Paul Ranger signing in Edmonton if he decides to return to the NHL. He also says that is a "Big IF".

Would really suck to lose that asset we have in Ranger. Hopefully the real reason he wanted to come here was to play closer to home and not just for Eakins

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Wouldn't mind giving up Gardiner for 7th overall pick (if we draft Monahan).

If Sean Monahan is on the board at Oilers pick at #7 then ..

Sam Gagner + 7th overall for Jake Gardiner + Matt Frattin + 21st overall type move could reunited Gardiner with Eakins in Edmonton.

Leafs would go a long way addressing their center ice position going forward, and Oilers defense improves.

Eakins arrival in Edmonton may indeed increase trade potential between the teams.

DoubleDose86

Nov 23, 2010
Toronto
I wanted Eakins with us, but we had got a more Experienced Carlyle. Now Carlyle has done some magic with this team, got the winning attitude at the NHL level, wasn't afraid to send down komi, connoly. (coach or gm makes those decisions? i thought coach tbh)

Eakins wouldn't get a shot for abit, unless we fire the 1st coach in awhile to get us to the playoffs.

Good for eakins, however I was still hoping for "Dallas leads the Stars to Playoff hockey)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad