Confirmed with Link: Eakins to Coach Edmonton

BillyD

JUST WIN BABY
Jun 23, 2009
Here is some amateur sleuthing for you:

Meet Dallas Eakins' wife:

BKG9d7NCEAA11mW.jpg:large

She is an actress and her twitter account says she lives in "Toronto/Vancouver" https://twitter.com/ingridkavelaars

Vancouver fired their coach the day after the Marlies were eliminated. Coincidence?

Last edited by a moderator:

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
i wouldn't let eakins leave, having a good farm system is pivotol in the leafs success, we have the assets throw him as much money as he needs not to leave.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Who would replace Eakins as our Marlies coach? I wouldn't mind Eakins leaving as long as we get another good development coach down there.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
It's just a coincidence. On a side note, I would hate it if Eakins went to Vancouver. I can already see Canucks fans going "LOL THX LAFFS" if he ends up guiding them to any form of success.

I hope an opportunity opens up for a non-rival, non-annoying team if he's going to be leaving.

Castle1*

Not many of us Canucks fans want Eakins. Most prefer Tippet (if available) or Boucher. Even Desjardins.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Pay him NHL level money to coach in the AHL. We can afford it.

We already are. He signed a 3-year contract extension in 2012. This season that just ended was the first season of his three-year deal.

Under the agreement, Eakins can effectively entertain an NHL coaching post after the first year. Worked out in principle over the past few months with Marlies GM/Leafs assistant Dave Nonis, the deal includes flexibility for Eakins to take an NHL job beginning in the 2013-14 season.

He can entertain NHL head coaching jobs now.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Let him go get his NHL experience somewhere else. This guy is thought of way to highly on this board, for what he has actually accomplished. He's a good coach, but it's not like he has done things that many other guys haven't.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Nonis keeps Eakins close from what I can tell.

Don't you people remember seeing Eakins in the press room during the trade deadline? We are grooming Eakins, I don't think he'll want to leave just yet.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It makes sense that we'd be scared to lose a good thing, but a veteran underachieving team like Vancouver is probably looking for a veteran guy with a track record who can go into a room and command it on reputation alone, not a rookie.

snizzbone*

His wife's twitter says Toronto/Vancouver because she is a Canadian actress and Vancouver is Canada's hollywood. I'm sure she spends a lot of time there doing her job.

Censored23

May 20, 2011
a big NO to Eakins going to Vancouver. If anyone deserves to be there, it Ruff, so the Canucks can enjoy another 40+ years of no Stanley Cups.

Apr 1, 2010
Yes.

But Vancouver may still feel Eakins is the best option for them.

After seeing the job Eakins has done developing Toronto's youth, and how he has coached his, sometimes depleted, AHL team to two very decent seasons. Eakins has to be among the top coaches without prior NHL experience.

Wouldn't Ron Wilson be an amusing choice. ;)

I just hope Eakins decides to continue his development and that MLSE is paying him enough to ignore the obvious pay increase that goes from moving up to the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad