Confirmed with Link: Eakins to Coach Edmonton

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
kind of amazing that the two groups of typical leafs fans will get to see their idea of what they thought was best to do play out at the same time

Tankers - get to see Eakins (who most preferred take over for Wilson) with a team of high draft picks

vs

Anti Tank- like the existing talent of the Leafs and the Carlyle old school coaching

obviously not everyone fits in to those two generic groups but i'd say most arguments that happen around here relate pretty closely to that difference in how a team should be built

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
kind of amazing that the two groups of typical leafs fans will get to see their idea of what to do play out at the same time

Tankers - get to see Eakins (who most preferred take over for Wilson) with a team of high draft picks

vs

Anti Tank- like the existing talent of the Leafs and the Carlyle old school coaching

obviously not everyone fits in to those two generic groups but i'd say most arguments that happen around here relate pretty closely to that difference in how a team should be built

Well since I was of the blow-it up gang in the 2004 lock-out, and liked having the European influence (Sundin, Mogilny, Kaberle, Salming, ...) and tolerated Burns because he was demanding, and liked Neilson because he was brave, curious, forward thinking ... I'm not sure what camp I'm in.

I'm not that high on Eakins, just look at the Leafs line-up last year and tell me the young guys groomed by him in the line-up. I mean drafted players he nurtured from junior grad to NHL full timer.

And no I don't give credit for him grooming a player by having him in the AHL for 12 games, or 32 games. I mean someone he spent 2 years developing into a NHL player.

We can count them on one hand.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
There must be some valid reasons behind why Vancouver, NY Rangers, Dallas, and Edmonton all interviewed Eakins for their coach job.

After all Eakins was currently employed and required Leafs permission for them to talk to him, while a bunch of proven established NHL coaches are unemployed and actively seeking work.

Eakins was the hottest commodity on the coaching scene and in high demand around the league, and the first to land a vacant position. Vancouver fired their coach the day after Marlies were eliminated and interviewed Dallas twice, while Edmonton fired their coach while interviewing Eakins for an associate coaching position.

Eakins recruitment seems similar to the way they landed Justin Schultz as a hot commodity that every one else wanted.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
There must be some valid reasons behind why Vancouver, NY Rangers, Dallas, and Edmonton all interviewed Eakins for their coach job.

After all Eakins was currently employed and required Leafs permission for them to talk to him, while a bunch of proven established NHL coaches are unemployed and actively seeking work.

Eakins was the hottest commodity on the coaching scene and in high demand around the league, and the first to land a vacant position. Vancouver fired their coach the day after Marlies were eliminated and interviewed Dallas twice, while Edmonton fired their coach while interviewing Eakins for an associate coaching position.

Eakins recruitment seems similar to the way they landed Justin Schultz as a hot commodity that every one else wanted.

We don't know that. What we do know is that if you succeed even slightly in Toronto, you're going to be known around the league.

Would Eakins really be a hot commodity if he was the AHL coach of the Coyotes farm team? We won't ever know.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Would Eakins really be a hot commodity if he was the AHL coach of the Coyotes farm team? We won't ever know.

It's a safe bet he would be. NHL management teams are professionals, have scouts and decades of experience evaluating hockey talent. They don't rely on media hype to make their decisions for them, unlike most fans and HF posters.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
We don't know that. What we do know is that if you succeed even slightly in Toronto, you're going to be known around the league.

Are you saying management employees in Toronto are overhyped around the league, as being bigger than they really are, simply because of location?

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Coaches not unlike players build reputations and are highly desired when the time is right to get a promotion. It's not exactly a large circle of people in the business, guys.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

Another member of Leafs organization they may lose to Oilers is Derek King. Betting Eakins takes him with him as assistant.

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

A coach that will be closely considered to take over Marlies is Gord Dineen, who has AHL head coaching experience and has paid dues.

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010
I'm happy for Eakins because he seems like a cool cat and I would have been happy if Dallas was coaching the Leafs one day but I would take Carlyle over Eakins any day of the week. It's not like the Marlies are going to have trouble attracting another good coach

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

Another member of Leafs organization they may lose to Oilers is Derek King. Betting Eakins takes him with him as assistant.

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

A coach that will be closely considered to take over Marlies is Gord Dineen, who has AHL head coaching experience and has paid dues.

I hope it's someone a little younger. An ex-Leaf would be cool.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
I heard this as a rumour but I doubt it's true. I heard that Paul Ranger might be interested to sign in Edmonton because Eakins is there and that they have a good relationship. I doubt this because I think Ranger would rather stay close to home and the Leafs would sign him if he was interested to play in the NHL again.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

I'm an Eakins fans but you're really pushing it with the speculation here. Eakins did a great job with the Marlies the past two years. The stipulations in his contract were public knowledge and as an organization, the competent thing to do is to look at all possibilities, which may also include an AHL coach that has had success with his team and who you know has an out clause.

We know that all of these teams in the coaching hunt have been interviewing several candidates...how many of those candidates were made public knowledge by the Canadian media outside of Eakins? I haven't read a single article by a national Canadian news site that mentioned any other name than Eakins yet I do know that they mentioned that every team had been interviewing more than one candidate. The media has done it's job in pushing the Eakins sweepstakes and you gobbled it right up. How many of those teams outside of Edmonton offered Eakins the head coaching job? You liken it to the Schultz sweepstakes...I haven't seen any proof that Eakins had a several head coaching offers to choose from and ended up choosing the Oilers. If you have this information, I'd love to read it.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I heard this as a rumour but I doubt it's true. I heard that Paul Ranger might be interested to sign in Edmonton because Eakins is there and that they have a good relationship. I doubt this because I think Ranger would rather stay close to home and the Leafs would sign him if he was interested to play in the NHL again.

Nobody really knows why Ranger left the NHL and nobody really knows why he was only interested in an AHL contract. Being close to home in an 'return to the NHL experiment' makes sense. if Ranger decides that he wants to return to the NHL, then that doesn't necessarily mean that being close to home is a requirement.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Quite different, yes. You just reminded me about their 24/7 next season.

I could just imagine if we had our own series. TSN already gets mislabeled as being Toronto focused as it is, when they're not.

There's so much potential. With Rogers and Bell owning the Leafs, they need to do HBO 24/7 quality documentaries on the Leafs. Every year they make the playoffs, the end of the regular season and all of the playoffs should be covered.

Oh, and NHL 36-like, but better, documentaries on Leafs players.

Bah, I don't think any of it will happen, though. The media in Canada rarely puts forth much effort, they know a good number of fans will watch regardless. But there's potential for growth that they're not realizing.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Wish Eakins all the best in Edmonton. Thanks for the years of service and time you put in with hopefully many future Leafs.

Player development is something Eakins excels in and Edmonton is the perfect team to show his craft. Edmonton is gonna be the team to watch in the next year or two to become a perennial playoff contender.

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
If Sean Monahan is on the board at Oilers pick at #7 then ..

Sam Gagner + 7th overall for Jake Gardiner + Matt Frattin + 21st overall type move could reunited Gardiner with Eakins in Edmonton.

Leafs would go a long way addressing their center ice position going forward, and Oilers defense improves.

Eakins arrival in Edmonton may indeed increase trade potential between the teams.

That would be a pretty sweet move. Gagner would improve our offense and we'd actually have a player that can do something for us in the shootout! Not sure who I'd take at 7 though...Monahan and Lindholm are both incredible players. I suppose I wouldn't really care which. I'd be happy with either!

As I posted first here on HFBoards, immitation is flattery I guess.

I had no idea you posted it. I read the article, came on here, saw the thread, and said to myself - "this is relevant". I wouldn't have posted it if I had already seen it on here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad