Confirmed with Link: Eakins Fired; MacT Transitional HC; Nelson Interim HC | Eakins Presser @ 10:00AM (II)

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Lowe/Howson/MacT deserve all the blame for where this team currently is.

These guys think they can build a team that scores 4+ goals a game. They live in a fantasy world where it's still the mid 80s.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Who was providing the net presence? Who was providing the point shot that demanded respect from the opposition?

The answer to both those questions is no one.

Was Eakins responsible for Justin Schultz and his deplorable defensive zone coverage? Was Eakins responsible for the putrid goaltending.

No he wasnt.

This rebuild was destroyed before Eakins got here. You are implying that this roster is a tweak or 2 away from success.

Its great that you have made excuses for these professional players but after multiple coaches the finger has to point at the roster.

Thats exactly where it should point because this is a weak, soft team that will not be coached into being a successful team with out changes.

History has proven that beyond a doubt.

Yes. Eakins is responsible for defensive coverage. The Oilers weren't just "bad" under Eakins, they were unbelievably bad.

2010-11 - 269 goals against, 62 points (Year 1 Of Rebuild, Renney)

2011-12 - 239 goals against, 74 points (Year 2 Of Rebuild, Renney) +30 GA improvement, 12 points+

2012-13 - 229 goals against (prorated), 77 points (prorated) (Year 3 Of Rebuild, Krueger) +10 GA, 3 points+

2013-14 - 270 goals against, 67 points (Year 4 of "Rebuild", Eakins Style) -41 GA, -13 points.

2014-15 - Even worse in both categories under Dallas.

Eakins destroyed the "rebuild", however shaky it was, it was progressing at least. Firing Renney in the first place was the stupid mistake this organization made, they will pay for it probably for the next 10 years now.

Our GA was headed down to the 220 range prior to Eakins, 220 is where you begin to sniff a Wild Card spot. All that was completely undone in the last two years.

Not only that all four of the "wunderkids" in Hall/RNH/Eberle/Yakupov were showing signs of being strong players prior to Eakins, since then ... all four of their development has gone sideways or stagnated.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yes. Eakins is responsible for defensive coverage. The Oilers weren't just "bad" under Eakins, they were unbelievably bad.

2011-12 - 239 goals against, 74 points (Year 2 Of Rebuild, Renney) +30 GA improvement, 12 points+

2012-13 - 229 goals against (prorated), 77 points (prorated) (Year 3 Of Rebuild, Krueger) +10 GA, 3 points+

2013-14 - 270 goals against, 67 points (Year 4 of "Rebuild", Eakins Style) -41 GA, -13 points.

Eakins destroyed the "rebuild", however shaky it was, it was progressing at least. Firing Renney in the first place was the stupid mistake this organization made, they will pay for it probably for the next 10 years now.

You are making excuses for a roster that simply isnt nearly good enough.

I have no idea how you can look at this roster and conclude otherwise.

No legit NHL starting goaltender. The goaltending was better with Dubnyk.

1 legit top 4 defender in Fayne. The rest are 5-6 defendors. Not nearly good enough.

The forwards outside of Hendricks and Gordon (both 4th liners) is full of perimeter players. The lack of balance is appalling.
Not nearly good enough.

The team has 2 legit NHL centres.

So I ask you...which teams have a worse roster than the Oilers?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Our GA was headed down to the 220 range prior to Eakins, 220 is where you begin to sniff a Wild Card spot. All that was completely undone in the last two years.

Not only that all four of the "wunderkids" in Hall/RNH/Eberle/Yakupov were showing signs of being strong players prior to Eakins, since then ... all four of their development has gone sideways or stagnated.

Its hard to look at that shortened season and have confidence that the team was improving. They were trending down at the end of that season. Also maybe its just a coincidence but I feel our GA went up due to losing our most experienced center for nothing, and deciding to play J.Schultz 20+ minutes a night. We should have been sheltering the crap out of the kid but its the Oiler way to force kids into roles they're not ready for. This team is putrid and Eakins may or may not have been the problem but judging by the lack of success since he left I don't think he was the main issue with this team.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You are making excuses for a roster that simply isnt nearly good enough.

I have no idea how you can look at this roster and conclude otherwise.

No legit NHL starting goaltender. The goaltending was better with Dubnyk.

1 legit top 4 defender in Fayne. The rest are 5-6 defendors. Not nearly good enough.

The forwards outside of Hendricks and Gordon (both 4th liners) is full of perimeter players. The lack of balance is appalling.
Not nearly good enough.

The team has 2 legit NHL centres.

So I ask you...which teams have a worse roster than the Oilers?

Then how is it they were improving each of the previous three years?

How is it they would show far more glimpses in that time, doing things like blowing out the Blackhawks multiple times?

All improvement abruptly stops with the Eakins hire.

Really this all goes back to the Renney fire, Renney wanted to develop the kids a proper way, Lowe wouldn't have it, fired him, brought up Krueger, who he felt he could control moreso, then hired his best friend with no GMing experience.

But coaching is really the nuts and bolts of development. A GM doesn't develop a player. He's not there day to day with the player.

90% of Calgary's success right now is because Hartley. He knows what he's doing when it comes to systems play, he knows how to get players to buy in, he knows how hard to work them, he's developed good offensive players before like Tanguay, so it's not shocking that Monahan and Gaudreau are developing well under him.

The Oilers don't want a coach like that behind the bench though. They (being Lowe and Mac Dummy) want a puppet because they feel they know best.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

How is it they would show far more glimpses in that time, doing things like blowing out the Blackhawks multiple times?

Really this all goes back to the Renney fire, Renney wanted to develop the kids a proper way, Lowe wouldn't have it, fired him, brought up Krueger, who he felt he could control moreso, then hired his best friend with no GMing experience.

But coaching is really the nuts and bolts of development. A GM doesn't develop a player. Neither does the POHO.

90% of Calgary's success right now is because Hartley. He knows what he's doing when it comes to systems play, he knows how to get players to buy in, he knows how hard to work them, he's developed good offensive players before like Tanguay, so it's not shocking that Monahan and Gaudreau are developing well under him.

The Oilers don't want a coach like that behind the bench though. They (being Lowe and Mac Dummy) want a puppet because they feel they know best.

6799.jpg

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

But coaching is really the nuts and bolts of development. A GM doesn't develop a player. Neither does the POHO.

The shortened season was an aberration. The team tanked mightily when the season became meaningful.

The other seasons had different rosters with more balance.

Maybe we dont agree on the coaching.

How about you answer the roster question?

Which rosters in the NHL are worse than this edition of the Oilers?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

But coaching is really the nuts and bolts of development. A GM doesn't develop a player. He's not there day to day with the player.

I think you answered your own question with this comment. Eakins was given a mandate to play the kids. He did that and they failed miserably. This is all on Lowe, MacT, Howson, and Stauffer. They should all be sent packing.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

He was kind of a loser his last couple of years here, not what I'd call an exceptional leader.

Should have kept Renney though. While not perfect, he was doing things right and improvement was being made.

Why fire a coach that just improved your GA by +30, improved your GF +20, is developing all your young kids well (Hall, doing great, Eberle doing great under Renney, RNH looked like a superstar in his first stretch of games), and improved the team by 14 points in year 1 to 2?

Again Lowe/Tambidummy think they're smarter than everyone else.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think you answered your own question with this comment. Eakins was given a mandate to play the kids. He did that and they failed miserably. This is all on Lowe, MacT, Howson, and Stauffer. They should all be sent packing.

Eakins is a **** coach on his own merits though.

That defensive system was complete garbage. All talk, all arrogance, all Toronto media hype, no substance whatsoever.

I knew we were boned when Smid sounded off that the Flames practised much harder under Hartley than he was used to under Eakins.

Renney was the last smart person this organization hired.

But that's the karma that Lowe/Mac T had coming to them ... axed Renney for magic beans, had it blow up (predictably) in their face.

Now they basically ruined their second rebuild.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
He was kind of a loser his last couple of years here, not what I'd call an exceptional leader.

Should have kept Renney though. While not perfect, he was doing things right and improvement was being made.

Why fire a coach that just improved your GA by +30, improved your GF +20, is developing all your young kids well (Hall, doing great, Eberle doing great under Renney, RNH looked like a superstar in his first stretch of games), and improved the team by 14 points in year 1 to 2?

Because he didn't want to play the kids.... Tells you who's running the show and why I was against Eakins getting the axe at the end. I feel like he got an unfair shake here because he had to follow orders from the hire ups and wasn't able to make his own decisions regarding the lineup and ice time.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Because he didn't want to play the kids.... Tells you who's running the show and why I was against Eakins getting the axe at the end. I feel like he got an unfair shake here because he had to follow orders from the hire ups and wasn't able to make his own decisions regarding the lineup and ice time.

Once Renney went public with those comments it changed the perception of this team moving forward.

How can anybody call out a coach knowing full well the Katz and management pulls the strings in the background?

The coach isnt the main issue here. Never was.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Dallas was too busy huffing and puffing off the magic throne he come up off from Toronto, keeping donughts away from Terry Jones on day 1.

Just because Lowe and Mac T are idiots, doesn't absolve Eakins from being just as stupid.

In fact it stands to reason if our POHO and GM are idiots, that they would then hire an idiot to coach also. In fact I'm not sure why we expected anything else.

Gillis in Vancouver said straight up after they interviewed Eakins that quote "he's not ready". They did not interview him again. Burke in Toronto wouldn't give him a sniff there.

They were smart, they knew Eakins wasn't cut out for the coaching gig at this level yet. The Oilers meanwhile give him a 4 year contract after being sweet talked for an afternoon :laugh:.

Again look at Calgary. I doubt they would be anywhere near as good if Eakins was coaching them. Hartley is the one who's established their entire identity, work ethic, style of play, and done all the teaching/guidance there. Burke barely has done anything at all. Your head coach is the heart and soul of your development system.

Last edited:

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Dallas was too busy keeping donughts away from Terry Jones.

Just because Lowe and Mac T are idiots, doesn't absolve Eakins from being just as stupid.

In fact it stands to reason if our POHO and GM are idiots, that they would then hire an idiot to coach also. In fact I'm not sure why we expected anything else.

Gillis in Vancouver said straight up after they interviewed Eakins that quote "he's not ready". They did not interview him again. Burke in Toronto wouldn't give him a sniff there.

They were smart, they knew Eakins wasn't cut out for the coaching gig at this level yet. The Oilers meanwhile give him a 4 year contract after being sweet talked for an afternoon :laugh:.

Again look at Calgary. I doubt they would be anywhere near as good if Eakins was coaching them. Hartley is the one who's established their entire identity, work ethic, style of play, and done all the teaching/guidance there. Burke barely has done anything at all.

My question is why hasn't this team made any improvement under MacT or Nelson then? Also why do we see Schultz getting over 20 minutes a night and Marincin still playing in OKC? If Eakins was the biggest issue here the team would have won a game by now, no? If you want to stand up and support the golden boys and the real culprits the OBC go ahead. But your lying to yourself if you don't think that both those groups are bigger issues then the coach ever was.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
My question is why hasn't this team made any improvement under MacT or Nelson then? Also why do we see Schultz getting over 20 minutes a night and Marincin still playing in OKC? If Eakins was the biggest issue here the team would have won a game by now, no? If you want to stand up and support the golden boys and the real culprits the OBC go ahead. But your lying to yourself if you don't think that both those groups are bigger issues then the coach ever was.

At this point I think the damage is too far gone. To be honest actually they have played a bit better, but not much.

Besides who says Mac T and Nelson are really good coaches? We hired two rookie coaches who got in over their head, so now a third rookie AHL coach is supposed to fix this mess? If you hire three unprepared people to run your business, do you magically deserve to have success just based on the sheer number of hires you make?

Like I said, just because you pull the knife out of your back, doesn't mean the bleeding is going to miraculously stop or the damage done to your vital organs is suddenly reversed.

All the Oilers did was pull the knife out. They haven't done anything to tend to the wound, and honestly at this point the wound may end up being fatal.

We know Lowe/Mac Dummy are culprits, but Eakins was a stupid hire too, just like Tambellini was (again ask yourself why Vancouver denied this guy the GM spot even though he was waiting for it for like 10 years, lol). Vancouver didn't want either Eakins or Tambellini, what does it tell you when the Oilers fall over themselves to hire both in positions that are vital to the rebuild?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
At this point I think the damage is too far gone. To be honest actually they have played a bit better, but not much.

Besides who says Mac T and Nelson are really good coaches? We hired two rookie coaches who got in over their head, so now a third rookie AHL coach is supposed to fix this mess? If you hire three unprepared people to run your business, do you magically deserve to have success just based on the sheer number of hires you make?

Like I said, just because you pull the knife out of your back, doesn't mean the bleeding is going to miraculously stop or the damage done to your vital organs is suddenly reversed.

All the Oilers did was pull the knife out. They haven't done anything to tend to the wound, and honestly at this point the wound may end up being fatal.

When you have a GM who's been watching the games from the bench and still has Brad ****ing Hunt and Schultz as a duo, you have to be concerned. Same GM who proclaimed Schultz as a future norris potential winner. Marincin's down in the farm still. Although he hasn't play that well this season, we have Brad Hunt who has been hot garbage every time he's been on the ice in the NHL, and yet the plug gets his own oiler number. Lander has one decent game, then gets sent down right after. What does that have to say for the kid's mindset/confidence? Could have send Draisaitl to the WJC, and then juniors, but they keep him here. Great developing. There's absolutely no reason other than the management trying to tank. I could give a crap, if they drafted McEichel. The fact that Stu and crew have been beyond garbage drafting outside the first round concerns me. I hope there's no oiler scouts kids in the draft. Otherwise, it'll be another Musil moment. In regards to the "bleeding" it hasn't ended, with 6 rings employed. I love how that arrogant idiot has been hiding from the media. Let me know when the owner has the balls to come out and address the media, instead of dishing out his annual apology letter. And I quote MacT "Daryl is upset as much as I am." Start thinking about business over friendship, Mr Katz. Only time you were ever active was in regards of the arena. Bunch of clowns trying to rebuild like the hawks and pens, and failing miserably. Too arrogant and full of themselves to admit its been an absolute failure. I bet Moose will be the next coach for the next year, since he's a "special consultant."

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
When you have a GM who's been watching the games from the bench and still has Brad ****ing Hunt and Schultz as a duo, you have to be concerned. Same GM who proclaimed Schultz as a future norris potential winner. Marincin's down in the farm still. Although he hasn't play that well this season, we have Brad Hunt who has been hot garbage every time he's been on the ice in the NHL, and yet the plug gets his own oiler number. Lander has one decent game, then gets sent down right after. What does that have to say for the kid's mindset/confidence? Could have send Draisaitl to the WJC, and then juniors, but they keep him here. Great developing. There's absolutely no reason other than the management trying to tank. I could give a crap, if they drafted McEichel. The fact that Stu and crew have been beyond garbage drafting outside the first round concerns me. I hope there's no oiler scouts kids in the draft. Otherwise, it'll be another Musil moment. In regards to the "bleeding" it hasn't ended, with 6 rings employed. I love how that arrogant idiot has been hiding from the media. Let me know when the owner has the balls to come out and address the media, instead of dishing out his annual apology letter. And I quote MacT "Daryl is upset as I am." Start thinking about business over friendship, Mr Katz. Only time you were ever active was in regards of the arena. Bunch of clowns trying to rebuild like the hawks and pens.

Eakins mishandled Marincin's development, that's part of the reason why Brad Hunt is playing.

The roster isn't perfect, the job of the coach is to make sure things are done as best as possible.

Under Eakins we destroyed our PP, destroyed our no.1 goalie, destroyed the development of virtually every year player here.

It is what it is now. This mess will take years to fix now, this is not something that can be fixed overnight.

This isn't a scratch on the wall, this is the entire house is engulfed in fire. We haven't even put out the fire yet.

Eakins was one fire that needed to be made, and certainly you'll get no arguement from me that Mac Dummy and "Carried To Six Rings" needs to go 10x worse, but at the same time I think people actually underestimate how much damage the three of them along with Tambidummy have done.

This will take *years* to fix now I think barring a miracle.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Eakins mishandled Marincin's development, that's part of the reason why Brad Hunt is playing.

The roster isn't perfect, the job of the coach is to make sure things are done as best as possible.

Under Eakins we destroyed our PP, destroyed our no.1 goalie, destroyed the development of virtually every year player here.

It is what it is now. This mess will take years to fix now, this is not something that can be fixed overnight.

This isn't a scratch on the wall, this is the entire house is engulfed in fire. We haven't even put out the fire yet.

We can thank great MacT on hiring Eakins in the first place. I was never a big fan of Krueger, but at least our PP was good, and the team actually progressed under him. Eakins comes in with his shenanigans of fitness, chop wood carry water, and other crap then all of a sudden players and systems regress heavily. How Krueger lead a worse roster with progress astounds me. Of course the mess won't be fixed overnight, but can any oiler fan honestly put their faith in the same management that has caused the fire in the first place? They're just making it worse every year. The propaganda Stauffer sprews out ignites it even more. When the hell will Katz wake up to fire his ****ing buddies? When Hall requests a trade? If he hasn't done so quietly already that is the better question. Screw them all. Sick of these morons running this team with full incompetence and no progress whatsoever.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I wonder how much Eakins knew about how this organization was run before he took the job. Did he come here knowing he was going to be dictated to on how he was supposed to coach this team or was it something he only found out about once training camp started?

I stopped hating the guy about a month before he was fired because I felt the problems ran much deeper than him but I also realize that he needed to go too. Keeping him as coach was just allowing Mactavish to have a scapegoat. Mactavish is fully exposed for what he is now and I'm not sure that happens with Eakins still around.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

It was funny to find out that Lowe and Friends weren't satisfied with that 11-12 season at all and thought the kids could have been developing even faster if Renney forced them into more situations and gave our vets the middle finger. They really were expecting to win in 12-13, saw a tiny bit of progress and Lowe had all the big talk in MacT's GM hiring press conference that where they were was unacceptable and they need to win immediately and that starts now!

Without a doubt expected another huge step with the help of MacT's magic touch in 13-14. Now they are begging Eakins to tell everyone MacT needs 5 years on his way out to collecting pay cheques for sitting at home. So damn pathetic. This is actually year 5 now of Lowe's master plan if we use Lowe's sticking his nose up at everyone in April 2013 for being impatient after only 3 years as a reference.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Eakins killed our PP which in turn killed a lot of our offensive players confidence. Yes we still suck without him but we need to get away from MacEakins brand of hockey ASAP.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
Once Renney went public with those comments it changed the perception of this team moving forward.

How can anybody call out a coach knowing full well the Katz and management pulls the strings in the background?

The coach isnt the main issue here. Never was.

Its not just that either. Souray said the exact same ****. we all were on board with banishing him (i was more pissed at him for stupidly going after iginla when he came back), but again it showed management getting involved in the who was being played on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad