• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't always like Lady Gaga, but I will never diss an 80s aesthetic, and I love that she still puts an effort into making music videos fun.

I still find it funny that the 90s did not age anywhere near as well as well as the decade before it.

Case in point. This song is still great IMO, but the style behind the video makes it feel ancient.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I don't always like Lady Gaga, but I will never diss an 80s aesthetic, and I love that she still puts an effort into making music videos fun.

I still find it funny that the 90s did not age anywhere near as well as well as the decade before it.

Case in point. This song is still great IMO, but the style behind the video makes it feel ancient.

You're just more fond of the 80's. Most 80's music sucks just as bad.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
You're just more fond of the 80's. Most 80's music sucks just as bad.

Y'know, I don't dispute that, but my argument is that pop culture from the 80s still resonates with future generations much more than the 90s, which in some ways was a repudiation of the decade before it.

In no way do I think that's deserved, it's just the way it is. People just like over-the-top ridiculousness, and synth pop and obnoxious neon-colored aesthetics just seem to be fondly remembered.

When people like me are old and toothless and in the nursing home (so y'know, a year from now) maybe then the 80s will go the way of the 50s. But not until then.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Y'know, I don't dispute that, but my argument is that pop culture from the 80s still resonates with future generations much more than the 90s, which in some ways was a repudiation of the decade before it.

In no way do I think that's deserved, it's just the way it is. People just like over-the-top ridiculousness, and synth pop and obnoxious neon-colored aesthetics just seem to be fondly remembered.

When people like me are old and toothless and in the nursing home (so y'know, a year from now) maybe then the 80s will go the way of the 50s. But not until then.
I'd argue that's because what's retro moves cyclically and what's nostalgic obviously moves with generations. The 90's are well on their way.

And with that I should say, 90's trends are already there for especially women's fashion, which tends to move very uniformly insofar as retro influences go.

Last edited:

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I'd argue that's because what's retro moves cyclically and what's nostalgic obviously moves with generations. The 90's are well on their way.

And with that I should say, 90's trends are already there for especially women's fashion, which tends to move very uniformly insofar as retro influences go.
I should note that while I wrote this, my Spotify radio station was playing Silverchair. Ehhhhh.

E: Followed by Sponge. Even bigger ehhhhhhh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad