EA NHL 19 Overrated\Underrated

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Nah, you guys who haven't played the game yet really need to ignore the ones saying it's the same as previous years.

As someone who spends 250+ hours on the NHL games literally every single year they've released, this is most definitely the most drastically changed game from one year to the next since I started playing back in 2008.

The number one change is skating, which is almost a night and day difference from last year to this year. The difference in speed between the faster smaller guys and the bigger slower guys is extremely noticeable. And while in previous years this would be a bad thing because it would mean the small skilled guys would dominate game play, but in this years game that's not the case. The physics engine tweaks have had a big effect as well. Hitting is much more realistic and more effective this year, as the small little checks in tight that in previous years would have no effect on a player, actually has an effect this year. It can slow down the faster guys, it can knock the pucks of the stick more often, and causes separation between player and puck much more smoothly now. Hitting is no longer a simple matter of either it works and fully removed the receiving player from the play, or it didn't work at all and removed the player attempting the hit out of the play.

The long story short is this game is massively different form last years. Mostly in a good way as well. Skating, hitting, shooting, goaltending... It's all improved. Not perfect by any means(And it never will be), but it feels like an actual hockey simulation game this year. Significantly less of an arcade feel then the previous years.

I really cant speak enough for how much better the skating is. You just have to go and play with it yourself and see all the little changes that were made to really get a feel at how smooth and how improved it is compared to last year.

Until the first patch.....same game, same bs, been around this franchise since 08, in 6's leagues (sounding horn), this game is and will be the same game come first patch.

Its not that they dont try, its that they are run by the 6's guys and will do anything they tell them to do.

Source: LeagueGaming, which is a big 6's league, has ambassadors that communicate with the EA/NHL guys monthly to talk about how EA can fix the game for them. There was a survey sent to the players last year, directly to LG players from the producer of the game. Survey was for LG members only.

Is what it is. I realllllllllllllllllllllly wish 2k would get their head out of their nin-kun-poop and realize the potential/money to be had, with a NHL2K franchise again.

PS ESPN 2k5, best hockey game period!!! (if year is wrong, the one with Martin St. Louiyyyyy on cover)

Get Good EA/NHL, Get Good!

FabledKnight

Feb 20, 2008
Quick question.

If you take fog of war off. Is there still some mystery of what a prospect potential is? Or is it now completely shown?

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Quick question.

If you take fog of war off. Is there still some mystery of what a prospect potential is? Or is it now completely shown?
Turning off potential in Fog of War means you’ll see their real potential right after they’re drafted (like previous games). Still a mystery as much as normal until that point

Reactions: FabledKnight

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Simmed a first season barzal put up 59 points

Way under rated
Yeah one season Eichel wins an art rods next he scores like 65... Damn Canadians with nobody on their roster are carried by a 82 overall 37 year old Carey Price swept my elite team in the playoffs despite being worse at every position since Price was somehow in god mode even though my goaltender was 2nd best in the league that year and couldn't keep up.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Yeah one season Eichel wins an art rods next he scores like 65... Damn Canadians with nobody on their roster are carried by a 82 overall 37 year old Carey Price swept my elite team in the playoffs despite being worse at every position since Price was somehow in god mode even though my goaltender was 2nd best in the league that year and couldn't keep up.
Because Fluery didn't just carry an average team to a stanley cup appearance or anything

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
I can't imagine being so miserable, that I would constantl buy a game every year just so I can whine about it and miss out. The game is different in some ways. Namely the skating the toughness it is to score a goal compared to 18.

Christ don't buy the game if all you ever are going to do every single year is complain about it. Remember IT'S A VIDEO GAME. Not real life.

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
I play mostly season mode and we can"t edit the players anymore once the season starts. I use to change my goalies equipment once in a while but now I can't. I like the new skating engin and i thin the AI of the computer is alot better, but im disapointed in the game so far.

SunDevilHockeyFan

Bertuzzi's Italian Kitchen
Feb 1, 2018
Eugene OR / Orange County CA
Never make Grubauer your starter. My expansion team defense isn’t exactly amazing (Pyksek, Demers, and Hainsay are my top 3 Dmen) but his sim GAA is 4+ and even in user games he’s an absolute sieve, seen him give up 4 goals on 6 shots in one game.

Would Morale have something to do with It? His backup is Greiss who’s considered the Team Leader Morale wise and since Grubauer started sucking I’ve been giving him more playing time

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Leafs players are usually roughed up, van players are overrated ALWAYS

Havi g said that it seems decent, a couple things, matthews is a 90 and tavares is a 91 at least. But they got it right as eichael is only 87 so.

Gardnier should be an 85 not 83. Rielly is a num 1 d and should be an 87.

Povorov should be an 87 as well, patrick should be an 84 .

DollarAndADream

Feb 27, 2012
Leafs players are usually roughed up, van players are overrated ALWAYS

Havi g said that it seems decent, a couple things, matthews is a 90 and tavares is a 91 at least. But they got it right as eichael is only 87 so.

Gardnier should be an 85 not 83. Rielly is a num 1 d and should be an 87.

Povorov should be an 87 as well, patrick should be an 84 .
Van players as in Canucks overrated? They have nobody over 85 this season, and I think that's alright.

DollarAndADream

Feb 27, 2012
This year yah, in the past it was absurd.
I wouldn't call it absurd. The team wasn't horrible or anything. Sedins were always rated fine, Horvat was underrated, Tanev underrated. The rest are usually low 80s which they should be. Eriksson was always overrated though.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I can't imagine being so miserable, that I would constantl buy a game every year just so I can whine about it and miss out. The game is different in some ways. Namely the skating the toughness it is to score a goal compared to 18.

Christ don't buy the game if all you ever are going to do every single year is complain about it. Remember IT'S A VIDEO GAME. Not real life.

I cant imagine being so desperate to defend a video game that sucks that I'd blindly accept having my literal only option be an underdeveloped, piece of shit cash grab.

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
Looking to other leagues! The german DEL and Czech Extraliga are overrated. I couldn t understand why the Clubs from this leagues has more higher ratings than SHL and Liiga? AHL is overrated too. This league isn t sronger than SHL,Liiga an NLA.

Reactions: boltsy

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
Not really an over/underrated thing, but I have difficulty understanding the logic behind how many players are classified.

I.e.
Auston Matthews a playmaker instead of a Sniper or TWF.
Elais Petterson as a TWF

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
I edit so many players when I do BAGM or couch sessions with friends. Both adding to and removing from stats, it's really not just boosting them... it's more about giving them their proper skills and removing the ones they don't truly have. Oftentimes their overall rating stays the same or may go down, but they're still much more representative of the actual player. We'll sit together and go through it a few times until we find what we all agree on as per our knowledge of our respective teams.

I don't do the whole league because that'd be way too tedious and I simply do not know many, but I'll do the full Rangers, Habs (living here means most of my friends play them), and usually Nashville and San Jose for some guys. Then some of the bigger names on each team.

One of the big stats that's often completely wrong and game changing is acceleration and speed, beyond the obvious shot accuracy stats and D/O awareness.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elvs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad