EA NHL 19 Overrated\Underrated

bruins2012

Aug 26, 2018
Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Hey boys, been lurking for a while, fist time posting.

Simple enough thread, who are the players that are the most underrated or overrated that you have seen so far, or expect to be in the upcom8ng game?

Also, really hope there will be roster sharing this year or I’m going to be very disappointed again.

McDavid better be a 99 in speed this year. Hoping Marchand has the ability to lick people too.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
as I've alluded to another thread, I care more about the individual attribures than the overalls. And with that being said, there's so much wrong with the attributes I don't even know where to begin. I'm guessing many others feel the same and that might be why no one replied in this thread yet. Thank god for the edit player feature. Without I'd never buy any of these games.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Hey boys, been lurking for a while, fist time posting.

Simple enough thread, who are the players that are the most underrated or overrated that you have seen so far, or expect to be in the upcom8ng game?

Also, really hope there will be roster sharing this year or I’m going to be very disappointed again.

McDavid better be a 99 in speed this year. Hoping Marchand has the ability to lick people too.
EA usually caps attributes at 95, so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
EA is incompetent. Why wouldn’t someone like Crosby or McDavid be a 97-98?

Again, try to edit McDavid and Crosby to 97-98 and let us know how it went. Actually, you should take a photo of your tv and post it here to let us see the attributes once you've edited them. I promise you will end up with worse results than EA. Because to get someone to 97-98 they'd need a rating of 99 in almost every single category. And that is why not even Crosby and McDavid can reach those overalls. Because even if they are the best players, they are not the best player in every single aspect of the game. Many players are better defensively than McDavid, and quite a few than Crosby as well. Many players are stronger, and many players are faster than Crosby. Many players are better shot blockers than both etc etc. Those are some attributes you'd have to skew in unrealistic ways to reach those overalls you want.

Reactions: haveandare

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Again, try to edit McDavid and Crosby to 97-98 and let us know how it went. Actually, you should take a photo of your tv and post it here to let us see the attributes once you've edited them. I promise you will end up with worse results than EA. Because to get someone to 97-98 they'd need a rating of 99 in almost every single category. And that is why not even Crosby and McDavid can reach those overalls. Because even if they are the best players, they are not the best player in every single aspect of the game. Many players are better defensively than McDavid, and quite a few than Crosby as well. Many players are stronger, and many players are faster than Crosby. Many players are better shot blockers than both etc etc. Those are some attributes you'd have to skew in unrealistic ways to reach those overalls you want.

yeah people get too into overalls

offensive and defensive awareness, speed/accel, shooting and passing are really what matter

hand eye and body checking also but lessish

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Do the players feel different or all the same again? Like is. 84 overall going to feel very similar to a 91 overall?

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Do the players feel different or all the same again? Like is. 84 overall going to feel very similar to a 91 overall?

Purchased and downloaded the Legends edition and played for a few hours last night. I will say this...

The players feel "slightly different" in that they seem to be a little more fluid with their lateral movements. However, on a scale of difference between 1-10 (with 10 being the highest), I give it a 3.

After reading reviews, you would have thought this new player engine was the greatest innovation in the EA series in years, and it most definitely is not. Very overblown. A slight improvement.

As for ratings, there is a difference in players... but I'd say roughly the same. I didn't see a drastic difference between a 80 rated player and an 89 rated player.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Purchased and downloaded the Legends edition and played for a few hours last night. I will say this...

The players feel "slightly different" in that they seem to be a little more fluid with their lateral movements. However, on a scale of difference between 1-10 (with 10 being the highest), I give it a 3.

After reading reviews, you would have thought this new player engine was the greatest innovation in the EA series in years, and it most definitely is not. Very overblown. A slight improvement.

As for ratings, there is a difference in players... but I'd say roughly the same. I didn't see a drastic difference between a 80 rated player and an 89 rated player.

Yeah honestly don’t feel it’s worth to buy it this year. Not about the money at all it’s more about the principle. I know after the first patch it’ll feel exactly like 18. I hope EA gets a competitor cause it’s ridiculous how little they care about this game since they know people will buy it regardless.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Yeah honestly don’t feel it’s worth to buy it this year. Not about the money at all it’s more about the principle. I know after the first patch it’ll feel exactly like 18. I hope EA gets a competitor cause it’s ridiculous how little they care about this game since they know people will buy it regardless.

I agree. There wasn't much of a difference to justify the purchase IMO. And I spent more to download the Legends edition to play early.

IMO, there is the usual "polish" that the game sees every year... a couple little touches and upgrades... but nothing drastic.

My biggest disappointment is that I bought the game to play outside in all formats and just free for all and I can't! The same with Legends players... thought you could move them around and you can't. Extremely disappointed. Also, the create a player is a mess, especially the hair colors.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia

same as always, only things that you can notice im game is speed/accel and shot stats otherwise everyone feels the same depending on their height

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
was thinking of getting it just for Franchise mode. any feedback on franchise mode?

i like the new scouting setup but its a bit much. to have that many scouts they need it organized a lot better than how it is. also, players are a bit too mysterious. 77 overall players shouldnt be showing up as 85s even if you havent scouted them, they want it to be realistic and in real life there is common sense

the menus and simming is a lot slower

the biggest downside IMO is when you do the 32 team expansion version. it does the expansion before the draft which is annoying, id like to be able to have it start next season but they dont have that option. but the worst part is, you do the expansion draft then go to the 2018 entry draft... BUT none of the players from the draft are in it because they are already property ofnwhatever team drafted them IRL. so the 2018 draft is a bunch of randomly generated players and whoever didnt get drafted in real life

Reactions: nickeleyegoldopin

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
i like the new scouting setup but its a bit much. to have that many scouts they need it organized a lot better than how it is. also, players are a bit too mysterious. 77 overall players shouldnt be showing up as 85s even if you havent scouted them, they want it to be realistic and in real life there is common sense

the menus and simming is a lot slower

the biggest downside IMO is when you do the 32 team expansion version. it does the expansion before the draft which is annoying, id like to be able to have it start next season but they dont have that option. but the worst part is, you do the expansion draft then go to the 2018 entry draft... BUT none of the players from the draft are in it because they are already property ofnwhatever team drafted them IRL. so the 2018 draft is a bunch of randomly generated players and whoever didnt get drafted in real life
What a crock of shit. Biggest blatant cashgrab of a game ever made.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I agree. There wasn't much of a difference to justify the purchase IMO. And I spent more to download the Legends edition to play early.

IMO, there is the usual "polish" that the game sees every year... a couple little touches and upgrades... but nothing drastic.

My biggest disappointment is that I bought the game to play outside in all formats and just free for all and I can't! The same with Legends players... thought you could move them around and you can't. Extremely disappointed. Also, the create a player is a mess, especially the hair colors.

Yeah every year is the same and I buy it but over the years I play less and less so this year I won’t even bother to be honest. He GM mode my only interest seems like it became a mess

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
same as always, only things that you can notice im game is speed/accel and shot stats otherwise everyone feels the same depending on their height

Yeah really stupid, I hate how Marner or Johnny hockey can knock Chara on his ***. No intimidation what so ever and the best model is to build a 4 line attack team since grinders just hinder you when you are simming.

rschile

Jul 15, 2012
it looks like a quicker version of 18 which was awful. ea like everything else created like a brand new program to create the game on so now they have to catch up with every new game. idk if its the same as 18 but when you played online you would pick your team before you found an opponent so it would end up like team Canada vs pittsburgh every time. 04 had a better gm mode than what they have now. the people who make this game are so out of touch. the only real addition ive noticed is that half the fans are black. which may mean Indians have a big contribution to the game

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Besides the skating everything else is the same or worse, but it's fun having a Forsberg-Gretzky-Tarasenko top line in HUT.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Nah, you guys who haven't played the game yet really need to ignore the ones saying it's the same as previous years.

As someone who spends 250+ hours on the NHL games literally every single year they've released, this is most definitely the most drastically changed game from one year to the next since I started playing back in 2008.

The number one change is skating, which is almost a night and day difference from last year to this year. The difference in speed between the faster smaller guys and the bigger slower guys is extremely noticeable. And while in previous years this would be a bad thing because it would mean the small skilled guys would dominate game play, but in this years game that's not the case. The physics engine tweaks have had a big effect as well. Hitting is much more realistic and more effective this year, as the small little checks in tight that in previous years would have no effect on a player, actually has an effect this year. It can slow down the faster guys, it can knock the pucks of the stick more often, and causes separation between player and puck much more smoothly now. Hitting is no longer a simple matter of either it works and fully removed the receiving player from the play, or it didn't work at all and removed the player attempting the hit out of the play.

The long story short is this game is massively different form last years. Mostly in a good way as well. Skating, hitting, shooting, goaltending... It's all improved. Not perfect by any means(And it never will be), but it feels like an actual hockey simulation game this year. Significantly less of an arcade feel then the previous years.

I really cant speak enough for how much better the skating is. You just have to go and play with it yourself and see all the little changes that were made to really get a feel at how smooth and how improved it is compared to last year.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
@Pierce Hawthorne, agreed. I'll need to play it more to determine how much I like it and how much it really is different, but we have to give credit where credit is due, EA actually made changes to this game. It's not a pure recycle.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Fog of war is pretty great, alone with the scouting aspect of it. Could use more ways to customize it, but the concept changes Franchise mode a bunch.

Keeping unknowns in play, and even a variety of confidences in the knowns, really make a lot more judgement calls in play.

It feels like you’re playing the game instead of gaming the system

Reactions: hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
was thinking of getting it just for Franchise mode. any feedback on franchise mode?
I love it, seems totally different to me. Also I've loved the new player engine, but maybe that part is just me. Hate the poke check though.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Nah, you guys who haven't played the game yet really need to ignore the ones saying it's the same as previous years.

As someone who spends 250+ hours on the NHL games literally every single year they've released, this is most definitely the most drastically changed game from one year to the next since I started playing back in 2008.

The number one change is skating, which is almost a night and day difference from last year to this year. The difference in speed between the faster smaller guys and the bigger slower guys is extremely noticeable. And while in previous years this would be a bad thing because it would mean the small skilled guys would dominate game play, but in this years game that's not the case. The physics engine tweaks have had a big effect as well. Hitting is much more realistic and more effective this year, as the small little checks in tight that in previous years would have no effect on a player, actually has an effect this year. It can slow down the faster guys, it can knock the pucks of the stick more often, and causes separation between player and puck much more smoothly now. Hitting is no longer a simple matter of either it works and fully removed the receiving player from the play, or it didn't work at all and removed the player attempting the hit out of the play.

The long story short is this game is massively different form last years. Mostly in a good way as well. Skating, hitting, shooting, goaltending... It's all improved. Not perfect by any means(And it never will be), but it feels like an actual hockey simulation game this year. Significantly less of an arcade feel then the previous years.

I really cant speak enough for how much better the skating is. You just have to go and play with it yourself and see all the little changes that were made to really get a feel at how smooth and how improved it is compared to last year.
This guy hit the nail on the head.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Fog of war is pretty great, alone with the scouting aspect of it. Could use more ways to customize it, but the concept changes Franchise mode a bunch.

Keeping unknowns in play, and even a variety of confidences in the knowns, really make a lot more judgement calls in play.

It feels like you’re playing the game instead of gaming the system
Hiring scouts is my favourite, like I have two scouts who just find elite player after elite player fir me in the late rounds, and I always pick a guy they recommend if they are their. Meanwhile, reassigning scouts to a new region is fun, but harmful if you forget to scout an early ranked player and never thought to put a scout in their area, or on them directly.

Reactions: haveandare

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad