Value of: Dylan Strome

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He's the only hope his team has at the center position. He's a recent top three pick. He's all they have to show for the epic McEichel draft. He's the best player in the American League by a wide margin despite this being his first professional season. So my answer to the question of his worth, I'd say about three times as much to the Coyotes as what any fan in this thread will offer.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
He's the only hope his team has at the center position. He's a recent top three pick. He's all they have to show for the epic McEichel draft. He's the best player in the American League by a wide margin despite this being his first professional season. So my answer to the question of his worth, I'd say about three times as much to the Coyotes as what any fan in this thread will offer.
But he wasnt able to make it to the roster for 2 straight years and thats a pretty bad roster. On the other hand, Dubois who is a 3rd pick a year later made it at the age of 19 and is a #1 C right now.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
But he wasnt able to make it to the roster for 2 straight years and thats a pretty bad roster. On the other hand, Dubois who is a 3rd pick a year later made it at the age of 19 and is a #1 C right now.

Some players take longer. Arizona needs to be patient with Strome. Trading him for cents on the dollar makes no sense. People keep acting like he's a bust (not saying you are), but he's only 20 years old.

Dubois isn't a #1 C. Being slotted on the first line doesn't make him a first liner, the same way it doesn't mean Malkin is a #2 C.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
And Clayton Keller made it this year. Prospects mature at different rates. Strome is still a work in process in terms of adjusting to nhl speed. Their GM made the comment recently that he can’t trade for a Dylan Strome. Nobody is shopping a 20 year old top player in the AHL. AZ will never get what they need or what they desperately need Strome to become (1st or 2nd line C) so they need to play patience unless he’s included as part of a package to get the aforementioned long term solution at C.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Tall, physically weak centers that dominate by slowing the game down, rather than with speed or power often take a very long time to apply their skills to the NHL in a meaningful way. Often they never do. But it's the worst possible time to trade Strome. It would be so foolish to develop him all the way to the brink and then move him just before he makes a mark. It's just got no chance of happening.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Would a deal around Sam Reinhart make sense?
Both underperforming top end draft picks. Both were drafted to play C.
Reinhart is the safer bet right now but Strome is say has higher upside.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Some players take longer. Arizona needs to be patient with Strome. Trading him for cents on the dollar makes no sense. People keep acting like he's a bust (not saying you are), but he's only 20 years old.

Dubois isn't a #1 C. Being slotted on the first line doesn't make him a first liner, the same way it doesn't mean Malkin is a #2 C.
I've been watching him closely since the moment he was put on the 1st line. He has everything to become a star and now starting to generate numbers at rate that average #1 centers do today in the league. I'd bet he'll be the consistent #1 guy on a good team for the most part of his career if not for the injuries. As for Strome - hes good at a level below but its still just the AHL and they have similar size with Dubois if someone thinks that the size is an issue for fast developing. Dont think thats the case here and dont think thats the case generally.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I watch him closely since he's put on the 1st line. He has everything to become a star and now starting to generate numbers at rate that average #1 centers do today in the league. I'd bet hes the consistent #1 guy on a good team for the most part of his career if not for the injuries. As for Strome - hes good at a level below but its still just the AHL and they have similar size with Dubois if someone thinks that the size is an issue for fast developing. Dont think thats the case here and dont think thats the case generally.

I've stated my opinion, but I won't argue with yours. Regardless though, Dubois is irrelevant to this topic. The value of Strome has nothing to do with how well Dubois is playing.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Nope. Didn't play center at BU, the WJCs or the WCs. Nor did he at rookie camp, pro camp, pre season, or any shifts thus far in the NHL.

It's weird how some players get listed as center when they aren't centers. I could be wrong but I think Cammalleri is still listed as a C. The whole "but they're a natural center" argument annoys me. Eberle is listed as a center on some sites.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

I don't understand what posts like this are trying to accomplish.

"Dylan Strome is an important part of our future and we want the moon from him"

"yeah, but actually he isn't that good so you should trade him to <my team> for cheap."

Reactions: Skobel24

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I don't understand what posts like this are trying to accomplish.

"Dylan Strome is an important part of our future and we want the moon from him"

"yeah, but actually he isn't that good so you should trade him to <my team> for cheap."
You don't have to. If you dont have anything thread related to say then move along

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Tall, physically weak centers that dominate by slowing the game down, rather than with speed or power often take a very long time to apply their skills to the NHL in a meaningful way. Often they never do. But it's the worst possible time to trade Strome. It would be so foolish to develop him all the way to the brink and then move him just before he makes a mark. It's just got no chance of happening.
You just described Tage Thompson. He struggled a bit in his first taste of the NHL, but is improving on his 2nd call up. He still has work to do, but is now looking like he belongs. I expect Strome's development path will be similar. I would hang on to Strome if I was Chayka.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
There’s a pretty huge difference between his value and his cost. A team with a late first probably wouldn’t inquire as they’re looking for pieces to compete and teams like Edmonton who should be interested probably wouldn’t roll the dice on moving a top 10 pick, especially before knowing the draft lotto

Reactions: simon in canada

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
His value in trade is low enough to the point where AZ will just let it ride and see what they have. They've put in the time. Only way he gets traded is if it's part of an OEL deal to the Leafs or Edmonton.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014

Dubois is currently a 1C. I think his first game at C was Nov 27th people have said and his production is guaranteed in the top 31 since then. No reason after this post to even mention him in here again but I has to clear up this very false info

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
If Dylan is ripping it up in the A...why can't he handle the NHL? What exactly is not translating?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad