Eklund Rumor: Dylan Strome to Isles, Habs, Sabres or Leafs???

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
I can't see Arizona trading Strome. I like him and think he will be a top 6 center for the team.
It would be foolish until they see what they have. Lots of players take time. Galchenyuk didn't start as the Habs no. 1 center.
With that being said, if they do trade him, I highly doubt its with Hanzel in the same deal to the same team.

You're probably right... I was just looking at Montreal's interest in both players. The Yotes reported desire in a young NHL ready center for Hanzel. And what I believe would be Montreal's unwillingness to move McCarron for Hanzel alone.

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
when i heard NYI and ARI were talking i was hoping arizona was going to overpay to reunite the stromes..... not the other way around

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I know this never ends up being an issue but at the draft you could tell he was jealous that Marner was the one going to Toronto.

I hate trying to defend a random Eklund rumour but Strome asking privately for a trade at least makes sense.

But I agree with the previous posts, Toronto and Arizona make terrible trading partners. The Leafs do not have assets that Arizona needs with which Toronto is willing to part.

Further an issue is Kadri/Matthews already are the one- two-punch up the middle. Where would Strome even fit... another C relegated to the wing?

Toronto would be way better off targeting a defensive prospect like Chychrun for some of their forward depth like Bracco.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
i don't get why they scratch him so much. why not just send him back to junior? how is being a healthy scratch gonna help his development?

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Unless Strome pulls a Lindros and just want the Leafs. I really don't see the Leafs is willing to part with anything that Yokes want. Unless it is Kadri?

Honestly I'm probably in the minority but I wouldn't do Kadri straight up for Strome right now. I was never big on him during his draft year. He thinks the game well and has some obvious skill but he's really an awkward and less than average skater. I was thrilled when Marner dropped to us and even if he hadn't I wouldn't have drafted Strome at 4 or 5 or 6 for that matter. For me he was in the 7-10 range. Add in that Kadri has an awesome team friendly contract and has been killing it offensively this year in primarily a defensive role. I'd consider something around Kapanen but even then Kaps has been really good this year and is at least a 3rd line winger at this point

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
How about a blockbuster?

Toronto

Strome
Chychrun
1st 2017 (top 3 protected)

Arizona

Matthews
2017 (2nd)

not a chance of that happening. Strome could become a #1C, but he also could be a #2. Chychrun could be a top pairing dman, but he is more likely to be a top 4. Matthews goes absolutely nowhere

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Yeah that proposal needs Matthews if OEL is included.

so what you are suggesting is ....
OEL
Strome
Domi

for
Matthews
Kadri
Nylander
Gardiner
Kapanen
2017 1st

I can hear Lou laughing from here

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I was just saying of you are including OEL in a trade proposal to Toronto Matthews has to be included. The rest of the pieces are not necessary. There is a very slim chance the Coyotes would consider trading OEL if Matthews was the return.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Absolutely no way Arizona gives up on the #3 pick from 2015 draft this easily unless some kind of stupid offer comes in for him

lol On a horrible team, he's played 7 games this season...being scratched for the remainder...

Does that look like the coyotes give a crap about him?

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Honestly I'm probably in the minority but I wouldn't do Kadri straight up for Strome right now. I was never big on him during his draft year. He thinks the game well and has some obvious skill but he's really an awkward and less than average skater. I was thrilled when Marner dropped to us and even if he hadn't I wouldn't have drafted Strome at 4 or 5 or 6 for that matter. For me he was in the 7-10 range. Add in that Kadri has an awesome team friendly contract and has been killing it offensively this year in primarily a defensive role. I'd consider something around Kapanen but even then Kaps has been really good this year and is at least a 3rd line winger at this point

I wouldn't trade Kadri for Strome either... We know what we have with Kadri, plus sometimes theres a little upside but Strome is not a lock top 6 player in my books

hockeyheadlines

Oct 9, 2016
Canada
I wouldn't trade Kadri for Strome either... We know what we have with Kadri, plus sometimes theres a little upside but Strome is not a lock top 6 player in my books

I don't know. Strome could be extremely good in a couple of years (hard to tell in the market he's in). Kadri well, he's good and that's it.

I sincerely doubt the Coyotes would consider trading Strome straight up for Kadri.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I say we keep this just at Strome ideas haha... no need to include OEL and Domi... that's just ridiculous. Seems like Yote trade threads always slowly start including OEL eventually and its always for terrible trade package return ideas

Yotes may as well just restart their rebuild then if they did that

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Strome today is why draft picks are sometimes over-rated.

Marner today is why they are not.

AZ will keep Strome and hope he turns into the player they hoped for when drafting him. As a Flyers fan, I can say that most of our board wanted either Provy or Marner to somehow fall to them. Marner was most peoples forward of choice as we saw a lot of Giroux in him.

But AZ drafted Strome to be the better player over the long haul, not after 1-2 years. Look at Scheifele. It took awhile but he is looking like the best pick of the draft today whereas years earlier it was Landeskog, RNH, etc... There is still lots of time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad