Dylan Strome or Nolan Patrick

Dylan Strome or Nolan Patrick?

• Strome

• Patrick

Results are only viewable after voting.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
On the pp and when he first arrived yes. But hasnt been on a line 5v5 with kane in probably 20 or so games now.
That's just not true. Stome has played nearly 45% of his total ES minutes this season with Kane and that's including the first 20 games when he wasn't even on the team. Kane and Debrincat are by far his most common linemates at ES this season.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Ummm

Strome has as many points in his past 15 games as Patrick has all season

What am I missing?

The answer is Strome by a mile.
Strome also had basically either none or next to no production at the NHL level at all at the same age as Patrick so....

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
That's just not true. Stome has played nearly 45% of his total ES minutes this season with Kane and that's including the first 20 games when he wasn't even on the team. Kane and Debrincat are by far his most common linemates at ES this season.
I mean you can check the lineups, since well before the all star break Kane has been on a line with Caggiula and Toews. Kane also gets doubleshifted when we need a goal, but usually if hes doubleshifted it is with the 4th line. Since the kampf injury and before the all star break heres what the top 9 usually has been

Caggiula-Toews-Kane
DeBrincat-strome-kahun
Saad-anisimov-Sikura/Kruger or perlini at times.
Like i said theyre always on the first PP unit. But other than that theyve had a healthy stretch away from eachother. And in that stretch is when strome has put up most of his points.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I mean you can check the lineups, since well before the all star break Kane has been on a line with Caggiula and Toews. Kane also gets doubleshifted when we need a goal, but usually if hes doubleshifted it is with the 4th line. Since the kampf injury and before the all star break heres what the top 9 usually has been

Caggiula-Toews-Kane
DeBrincat-strome-kahun
Saad-anisimov-Sikura/Kruger or perlini at times.
Like i said theyre always on the first PP unit. But other than that theyve had a healthy stretch away from eachother. And in that stretch is when strome has put up most of his points.
That's all fine and probably true but it doesn't change the fact that when Strome has been on the ice at even strength (not including on the PP as you mention) his most common linemates have been Kane and Debrincat and it's not really close with anyone else.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Only on the PP.
Why do you guys keep saying this when it's not true? There are a handful of websites that calculate how many minutes each player plays with each teammate. Do facts and statistics no longer matter around here? Are we really going to claims the eye test on time on ice? He might not be on a line with him right now but it's a 100% fact that Strome has played more minutes at even strength with Kane and Debrincat than anyone else this season and it's really not close to the next linemate.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Why do you guys keep saying this when it's not true? There are a handful of websites that calculate how many minutes each player plays with each teammate. Do facts and statistics no longer matter around here? Are we really going to claims the eye test on time on ice? He might not be on a line with him right now but it's a 100% fact that Strome has played more minutes at even strength with Kane and Debrincat than anyone else this season and it's really not close to the next linemate.
He hasn't played with Kane regularly since early January. He did play with Kane when he first got traded. The point is that when he played with Kane he wasn't playing with DeBrincat, and now he's playing with DeBrincat and not Kane. Also, dude has been playing better WITHOUT Kane. Occasionally he's out there with kane for 10-15 seconds during a line change.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
He hasn't played with Kane regularly since early January. He did play with Kane when he first got traded. The point is that when he played with Kane he wasn't playing with DeBrincat, and now he's playing with DeBrincat and not Kane. Also, dude has been playing better WITHOUT Kane. Occasionally he's out there with kane for 10-15 seconds during a line change.
I guess I'm just having trouble understanding the math to figure out how it's possible for Strome to play nearly 45% of his total minutes at ES this season with Kane during a 20-22 game stretch of the 59 games he's played this season.

My point is that a lot of people here are making it sound like the majority of time Strome has played with Kane has been on the PP and at ES they have rarely been together. Even going as far as saying he plays with Kahun and not Kane despite the fact that he's played more than double the amount of minutes at ES with Kane as opposed to Kahun. The fact remains, Strome has played more minutes at ES with the two best offensive players on the Hawks than he has with anyone else and I have a really hard time believing that he somehow has played that majority of that time during overlapping shifts.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I guess I'm just having trouble understanding the math to figure out how it's possible for Strome to play nearly 45% of his total minutes at ES this season with Kane during a 20-22 game stretch of the 59 games he's played this season.

My point is that a lot of people here are making it sound like the majority of time Strome has played with Kane has been on the PP and at ES they have rarely been together. Even going as far as saying he plays with Kahun and not Kane despite the fact that he's played more than double the amount of minutes at ES with Kane as opposed to Kahun. The fact remains, Strome has played more minutes at ES with the two best offensive players on the Hawks than he has with anyone else and I have a really hard time believing that he somehow has played that majority of that time during overlapping shifts.
Like I said, 45% is about accurate. He played his first 5 weeks with Kane and his last 6 with DeBrincat. The point we're trying to make though is that most of his production came without Kane as a linemate.
Out of his 39 games with the Hawks, He's played roughly 18 with Kane and 21 with DeBrincat. In his 18 games with Kane, he had 14 points. In his 21 games with DeBrincat, he's had 23 points. That is my point.

Last edited:

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Like I said, 45% is about accurate. He played his first 5 weeks with Kane and his last 6 with DeBrincat.
I'm still struggling to understand how someone can play 45% of their minutes with one player during a 33% stretch of the season. I'm not talking about 45% of his time with Chicago, I'm talking about 45% of his total ES ice time this season. The only way that could have been possible would be if he played nearly every second with Kane during those 20 games and then saw a huge decrease in ES time which hasn't happened.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I'm still struggling to understand how someone can play 45% of their minutes with one player during a 33% stretch of the season. I'm not talking about 45% of his time with Chicago, I'm talking about 45% of his total ES ice time this season. The only way that could have been possible would be if he played nearly every second with Kane during those 20 games and then saw a huge decrease in ES time which hasn't happened.
It is because he was only getting 6-7 mins a game with Arizona, and there was about a week or so when he was playing with both of them, before they moved Kane up to Toews' wing.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
It is because he was only getting 6-7 mins a game with Arizona, and there was about a week or so when he was playing with both of them, before they moved Kane up to Toews' wing.
No he wasn't. I don't know why people make things up that are so easily debunked. Strome was playing 11:03 a game at ES with Arizona and he's played 14:16 with Chicago. That's roughly 220 minutes in AZ and 555 minutes in Chicago. About 350 of those 555 minutes have been with Kane (63% of his ES TOI while in Chicago).

He's played roughly 775 total ES minutes this season. For Strome to have played 45% of his total ES minutes with Kane in just the first 20 games or so, he would have had to play 350 ES minutes in those 20 games which is 17:30 of ES minutes per game (Even Toews only plays 15:47 at ES). That's not even possible considering he played around 17:15 in total TOI during those first 20 games and that's including the 3 minutes a game he plays on the PP.

I'm sorry but numbers don't lie and simple Math would say that's literally no chance possible he has only played roughly 20 games with Kane and the rest is made up by overlapping shifts.

Anyway, I think we're caught in the weeds here because it doesn't really matter when, for how many games, or how he got to this many minutes with Kane. The FACT remains, Strome has played significantly more with Kane and Debrincat (not necessarily together) than anyone else and I'm talking more than double the minutes for both of them compared to the next closest linemate.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
No he wasn't. I don't know why people make things up that are so easily debunked. Strome was playing 11:03 a game at ES with Arizona and he's played 14:16 with Chicago. That's roughly 220 minutes in AZ and 555 minutes in Chicago. About 350 of those 555 minutes have been with Kane (63% of his ES TOI while in Chicago).

He's played roughly 775 total ES minutes this season. For Strome to have played 45% of his total ES minutes with Kane in just the first 20 games or so, he would have had to play 350 ES minutes in those 20 games which is 17:30 of ES minutes per game (Even Toews only plays 15:47 at ES). That's not even possible considering he played around 17:15 in total TOI during those first 20 games and that's including the 3 minutes a game he plays on the PP.

I'm sorry but numbers don't lie and simple Math would say that's literally no chance possible he has only played roughly 20 games with Kane and the rest is made up by overlapping shifts.

Anyway, I think we're caught in the weeds here because it doesn't really matter when, for how many games, or how he got to this many minutes with Kane. The FACT remains, Strome has played significantly more with Kane and Debrincat (not necessarily together) than anyone else and I'm talking more than double the minutes for both of them compared to the next closest linemate.
Maybe you have bad info. I've been watching the games dude. He hasn't played with Kane consistently at even strength since about mid-January. I think you're mistaken in your interpretation. If he's been playing 45% of even strength time since being traded to the Hawks with Kane, that is believable. For the entire season it is impossible. Either your info is wrong or you're misinterpreting it.

Last edited:

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Maybe you have bad info. I've been watching the games dude. He hasn't played with Kane consistently at even strength since about mid-January. I think you're mistaken in your interpretation. If he's been playing 45% of even strength time since being traded to the Hawks with Kane, that is believable. For the entire season it is impossible. Either your info is wrong or you're misinterpreting it.
I just looked into it and he's correct. Stromes most common linemates are by far Kane and DeBrincat

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I just looked into it and he's correct. Stromes most common linemates are by far Kane and DeBrincat
Yes, he's played with one of them the whole time he's been here. What I'm saying is that Kane hasn't been on his line in at least 5 weeks. He's been playing with DeBrincat and Kahun since at least mid-January. Occasionally toward the end of games if the Hawks are trailing, Kane gets double shifted in place of Kahun. Strome has played more minutes without Kane than he has with. It would be 50/50 at best in terms of them playing together.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I'm sorry but if this conversation is moving into the realm of believing your memory over hard facts and statistics then I don't know where we can go from here. The numbers include players like Crouse and Cousins so unless those guys play for Chicago, no I'm not wrong and I'm not misinterpreting anything. You're wrong and you're believing your memory over actual statistics which is not only naive but it's hilarious that you actually wrote that, read it back to yourself, and hit reply thinking it was a good rebuttal.

Back to the question in the thread. I pick Patrick because he's younger and he's doubled Strome's goals and assists both this season and last. Please don't post any silly stats, I watch the games so I know from memory that Patrick has easily outscored Strome.

Reactions: The Red Line

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Who f***ing cares who his linemates are? Strome has been terrific and minimizing his efforts by crediting his linemates over him is dumb.

Both DeBrincat and Kane (who are his most common linemates) ARE HAVING CAREER YEARS THEMSELVES! Both are indisputably having the best years of their careers. Maybe Strome has played a part in that?

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Who ****ing cares who his linemates are? Strome has been terrific and minimizing his efforts by crediting his linemates over him is dumb.

Both DeBrincat and Kane (who are his most common linemates) ARE HAVING CAREER YEARS THEMSELVES! Both are indisputably having the best years of their careers. Maybe Strome has played a part in that?
Linemates do play a role in how good of an opportunity a player has to succeed so it's relevant to the conversation to get an idea who each players plays with. I have not seen one post of anyone minimizing Strome or crediting his linemates for his success. Can you please quote someone who said that?

What I do care about it when someone asks a simple question about who Strome has played with, that the response is factually accurate. The response was Debrincat and Kahun and when people corrected him saying that he's also played a lot with Kane, two different Hawks fans said Strome only plays with Kane on the PP and has played very little with him at ES which is just not true.

Strome is having a great season and it's nice to see the change of scenery help him so much. Just because I corrected someone who was literally telling me that statistics are wrong because he watches the games doesn't mean I was bashing Strome or taking away from anything he's done this season.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Linemates do play a role in how good of an opportunity a player has to succeed so it's relevant to the conversation to get an idea who each players plays with. I have not seen one post of anyone minimizing Strome or crediting his linemates for his success. Can you please quote someone who said that?

What I do care about it when someone asks a simple question about who Strome has played with, that the response is factually accurate. The response was Debrincat and Kahun and when people corrected him saying that he's also played a lot with Kane, two different Hawks fans said Strome only plays with Kane on the PP and has played very little with him at ES which is just not true.

Strome is having a great season and it's nice to see the change of scenery help him so much. Just because I corrected someone who was literally telling me that statistics are wrong because he watches the games doesn't mean I was bashing Strome or taking away from anything he's done this season.
I mean obviously linemates play a role in point production but they’re not the end all be all and people spend way too much time arguing about it. You still have to be a damn good player to put up points with other high end players. Schmaltz was stapled to Kane’s hip before the Strome trade and diddnt put up shit (2g 11pts in 23 games).

And I could be wrong but I don’t think anyone said that Kane and Strome have played very little at ES. I’m pretty sure he said they’ve played very little at ES lately which is true. Strome started playing with Kane but over the past few weeks they haven’t spent much time together 5v5 other than the odd Kane double shift.... and Stromes scoring numbers have actually IMPROVED since being moved off Kane’s line at 5v5. He has 21 points in the last 14 games, 15 at even strength. Makes this conversation a little irrelevant, huh? Over a PPG 5v5 not on Kane’s line is pretty impressive. We’ll see if he can keep it up.

Reactions: StoneHands

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I mean obviously linemates play a role in point production but they’re not the end all be all and people spend way too much time arguing about it. You still have to be a damn good player to put up points with other high end players. Schmaltz was stapled to Kane’s hip before the Strome trade and diddnt put up **** (2g 11pts in 23 games).

And I could be wrong but I don’t think anyone said that Kane and Strome have played very little at ES. I’m pretty sure he said they’ve played very little at ES lately which is true. Strome started playing with Kane but over the past few weeks they haven’t spent much time together 5v5 other than the odd Kane double shift.... and Stromes scoring numbers have actually IMPROVED since being moved off Kane’s line at 5v5. He has 21 points in the last 14 games, 15 at even strength. Makes this conversation a little irrelevant, huh? Over a PPG 5v5 not on Kane’s line is pretty impressive. We’ll see if he can keep it up.
I 100% agree. Linemates do not guarantee success but if someone is playing with two 4th liners and not producing it's a little easier to understand. You can put a turd on a golden platter and it's still going to stink.

When people said Strome has played a lot with Kane one poster said "Only on the PP" while another said he hasn't played with him in 20 games which means he somehow played 45% of his total icetime this season with Kane during a 19 game stretch when he first arrived in Chicago which is when I explained to him how that's not statistically possible.

But you're right again, Strome has played just as good if not better away from Kane so I'm not sure why he decided that was the hill he wanted to die on and somehow say his eye test is more accurate than statistics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad