Friedman: Dylan Strome on the move?

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Strome is such an annoying player. Yes, he can be a legit asset offensively. You just need to play him with two wingers who can win board battles, be strong back checkers, skate the puck up ice, and have enough offense to actually capitalize on some of Strome's plays.

He's a guy teams that aren't interested in competing look at acquiring. Good enough that a team can say they added a top6 offensive center, not good enough to help a team win close, hard fought battles.

Hawks fans have grown a bit of disdain for him. He can still be an asset to somebody, but he doesn't help us at all with what we already have roster wise. Also, we're tired of Musto's schtick of talking Dylan up every day.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Strome is such an annoying player. Yes, he can be a legit asset offensively. You just need to play him with two wingers who can win board battles, be strong back checkers, skate the puck up ice, and have enough offense to actually capitalize on some of Strome's plays.

He's a guy teams that aren't interested in competing look at acquiring. Good enough that a team can say they added a top6 offensive center, not good enough to help a team win close, hard fought battles.

It's really fitting he was traded for Schmaltz. Same mentality.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Beyond what has already been said...with Toews back and Dach as your top 2 centers, Strome is a luxury that the Hawks have enough center depth to live without. Any of Borgstrom, Tyler Johnson, Gaudette, Carpenter, Khaira, Reichel, or Entwhislte are guys the Hawks can play at center (especially in the lower 6). The Hawks could also use a little more breathing room with the cap. They can do some LTIR gymnastics and make things work, but a net gain of 2 millionish (strome's 3 minus an entry level contract replacement) would make things a bit easier and maybe avoid using LTIR all together ....giving you some room to handle perfomrance bonuses without a caryover penalty, etc.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
It's really fitting he was traded for Schmaltz. Same mentality.
They do share some similar traits.

I will say though, Schmaltz had been a lot more willing to engage in doing the dirty work in his rookie season. He got one or two nasty concussions and started avoiding any situation that would put him in harms way.

Strome was always this way. His size and passing abilities just hid his deficiencies well in the OHL.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
He has a lot of strengths, but he has the one serious weakness that will sewer any NHL player in this modern era.

The young man simply cannot skate.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021

Hawks fans have grown a bit of disdain for him. He can still be an asset to somebody, but he doesn't help us at all with what we already have roster wise. Also, we're tired of Musto's schtick of talking Dylan up every day.

Sounds like he’s a perfect fit for the Sabres.

Reactions: Vukotal Recall

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
He had a good preseason but we have expected a trade for some time now

I think Ottawa makes most sense given his age/upside for them and C situation there

No risk for Sens bringing in Strome

I am going to guess Strome for Tyler Kleven deal

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
He's a winger, unless I missed something. Still we need wingers and I hope Ottawa takes a crack at it. I'd offer one of Kastelic/Kleven/Roger.

He has played both

I believe he wants to play C but has been good soldier on being moved to wing. I wouldn't rule out him moving back to C in future and can definitely play there if needed

OilersCoffeeArtBeer

Jun 7, 2021
Seattle

Sounds like a poor man's nuge

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
They do share some similar traits.

I will say though, Schmaltz had been a lot more willing to engage in doing the dirty work in his rookie season. He got one or two nasty concussions and started avoiding any situation that would put him in harms way.

Strome was always this way. His size and passing abilities just hid his deficiencies well in the OHL.
Schmaltz is a much better skater, though.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
It was the final game in OHL season where he scored I think 6 points to beat Marner in the race that got him a head of Mitch

I really thought he was turn it around with the Hawks. Like the kid, hope it works out for him
He may never be the player projected, but he's not a total bust

He can still turn it around and still have a decent career

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Strome is a Toronto type player, he'd fit in perfectly with their core :laugh:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad