Rumor: Dylan Strome is available (per Elliotte Friedman)

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
kubalik-Toews will for sure be a duo
I don't know if I want Kubalik with Toews or Dach yet.

If Kubalik is with Toews, I could see the following forward lines:
Kubalik-Toews-Caggiula/Shaw
Nylander-Strome-Kane
DeBrincat-Dach-Saad
Kampf-Carpenter-Highmore

Only the 2nd line needs sheltering.

You could make the case for breaking in Barratt and/or Kurashev on the 4th line as well.

One of the thing that is apparent is that the Hawks are very deep at forward and their D is caught between very green/old and declining/injury prone.

Last edited:

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I don't know if I want Kubalik with Toews or Dach yet.

If Kubalik is with Toews, I could see the following forward lines:
Kubalik-Toews-Caggiula/Shaw
Nylander-Strome-Kane
DeBrincat-Dach-Saad
Kampf-Carpenter-Highmore

Only the 2nd line needs sheltering.

You could make the case for breaking in Barratt and/or Kurashev on the 4th line as well.

I think Kurashev pushes Hignmore back to Rockford or 13F, I honestly think Shaw is not being to every play again, concussions and a little baby now...pretty sure he is going to move along.

Kubalik and Toews were dynamite together and they WILL be on the same line IMO.

No need to be sheltering a line

Kubalik-toews-Saad
Nylander-Dach-Kane
Cat-Kurashev/Strome-Kurashev/Strome
Caggiula-Kampf-Carpenter (Barratt takes Kampf's spot around midseason)

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
kubalik-Toews will for sure be a duo

Yeah I agree. And I think Caggiula is a perfect fit for RW. Unless we draft a stud or an already existing prospect takes the role.

Either way I hope we go out of our way to keep Saad on the 3rd line with Dach and Cat to create matchup nightmares. If all other options fail then we can bump Saad or Cat up to join Toews and Kubalik.

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Yeah I agree. And I think Caggiula is a perfect fit for RW. Unless we draft a stud or an already existing prospect takes the role.

Either way I hope we go out of our way to keep Saad on the 3rd line with Dach and Cat to create matchup nightmares. If all other options fail then we can bump Saad or Cat up to join Toews and Kubalik.
Kubalik should play RW to take advantage of his one-timer.
I too like Caggiula with Toews and Kubalik and Saad with Dach and Cat.

Saad-Dach-Cat is a nightmare matchup for opponents in so many ways.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
No, it just doesn't work. He thinks and plays the game like a center.

I don't see a problem with rolling three lines.

Saad-Toews-Kubalik
Nylander-Strome-Kane
DeBrincat-Dach
In the offensive zone only. He’s not fast enough and he’s not good enough defensively to play center unless you’re sheltering the hell out of him and stapling him to Patrick Kane. And if you’re doing that, you don’t pay him center money that puts up the points that Strome will in that role.

Strome is a guy that plays center and puts up points on bad teams unless you build a line and game plan specifically around him. I don’t think he’s a center at this level on a good team. He’s a better Tyler Arnason with pedigre.

Edit: it might work if you staple a guy like Carpenter who plays the center role defensively on that line, but Carpenter isn’t a guy you want out there getting regular offensive zone starts.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Essentially we have 8 legit top 6 caliber forwards(based on talent in a vacuum). Toews, Kane, Kubalik, Strome, Dach, Nylander, Saad, and DeBrincat.

That is an outstanding starting point to construct your top 9 and make 3 scoring lines. Most teams don’t have that level of forward talent. Now if all the players can live up to that talent and mesh together is the real question.

After that we’ll have A LOT of legit options to be that 9th guy in the top 9. Some have mentioned Kurashev. I personally like Caggiula. Maybe Shaw gets healthy. Maybe we draft an instant impact player in the upcoming draft. Maybe Sikura takes that next step. Point is we’ll be fine.

4th line options are loaded too. Kampf/Carpenter at center. Whatever options I just went over that are left out of that “9th man” role can all be legit 4th line wingers. Plus I really like Highmore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad