Value of: Dylan Strome (as an RFA in the summer) or Brandon Saad

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
No way Hawks trade D. Strome , He hasn't produced to his ceiling we can all agree with that but hes finally starting to heat up under the hawks organization . He's coming into his potential recently and i feel like next season he's going to get alot closer to his ceiling i'd tried to roll the dice with him honestly lock him up for 5 years for a decent cap and hope he can keep growing like he has over the last 2 years.

Saad is a good player don't get me wrong but the hawks job is to now get younger Towes and Kane are not old but they are getting up there in age , and the hawks needs to start thinking about their future.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
No way Hawks trade D. Strome , He hasn't produced to his ceiling we can all agree with that but hes finally starting to heat up under the hawks organization . He's coming into his potential recently and i feel like next season he's going to get alot closer to his ceiling i'd tried to roll the dice with him honestly lock him up for 5 years for a decent cap and hope he can keep growing like he has over the last 2 years.

Saad is a good player don't get me wrong but the hawks job is to now get younger Towes and Kane are not old but they are getting up there in age , and the hawks needs to start thinking about their future.
Well, yeah... but good ole 19/88/2 are taking up 26M in capspace and Kubalik brings more to the table than Strome does.

I like Strome as a scorer, and I'd like to keep him around. However, Kubalik is more valuable to the Hawks because he can play defense and the Hawks don't have a lot of forwards that are good defensively. A lot of their lack of shot suppression is due to their forwards rather than their defensemen. Their defensemen are fine. Their forwards leave a lot to be desired in their own zone.

The Hawks have this little LTIR problem......We don't know if any of Seabrook, de Haan or Shaw will ever play again, and they take up 15.325M in capspace combined. All have at least 2 years left on their deals.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlyguyOX

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Well, yeah... but good ole 19/88/2 are taking up 26M in capspace and Kubalik brings more to the table than Strome does.

I like Strome as a scorer, and I'd like to keep him around. However, Kubalik is more valuable to the Hawks because he can play defense and the Hawks don't have a lot of forwards that are good defensively. A lot of their lack of shot suppression is due to their forwards rather than their defensemen. Their defensemen are fine. Their forwards leave a lot to be desired in their own zone.

The Hawks have this little LTIR problem......We don't know if any of Seabrook, de Haan or Shaw will ever play again, and they take up 15.325M in capspace combined. All have at least 2 years left on their deals.
I agree with your statement 100% , you're right but if the hawks can sign strome to a kasperi kapanen / Andreas johhson deal 4 year 3.4-3.5M around that range i don't see why the trade strome at all

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I agree with your statement 100% , you're right but if the hawks can sign strome to a kasperi kapanen / Andreas johhson deal 4 year 3.4-3.5M around that range i don't see why the trade strome at all

If we can lock up Strome at that AAV then he will probably stick around.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
That seems optimistic. I'd think 5 would be a bargain deal(in his/his agent's opinion).

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Someone already offered Broberg/Puljujarvi/1st for DeBrincat in this thread. If they were to replace Broberg with Nurse that would get me thinking.

That we me and it was already an over payment and Nurse is worth move to us than Broberg. Many Oil fans wouldn't even agree to my offer. I think it's more than fair. Upping it to Nurse is a hard no.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I don’t see the point in the Straw RFA for a top young player who can play on a rookie contract for another three years.

Yeah, you’re right. Maybe a late 1st is more in line with his worth. Hawks have to assume some risk here.

puterwiz53

Nov 17, 2010
Saint John, New Brunswick
The thing is, Dylan Strome will be too expensive for a 3rd line center. Toews is still 1st line center and Dach is or will be full time 2nd line center. They should trade Strome if they can get the right return. They should hold on to Saad unless there is an offer that includes a 1st and prospect or a top 4 defense man.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018

Well said. Chicago is at best a bubble team if I'm Stan, I'd be moving out saad , Gus, Crawford and Keith for high draft picks and young high end prospects.

Toronto is looking for a LHD Gus would be perfect to move for kap or Johnson.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I'm ready to be pelted by fellow Flyer's tomatoes but:

Ghost
Aube-Kubel or Pitlick
for
Strome

Ideal lineup
Giroux-Coots-Konecny
Farabee- Hayes-Voracek
Frost-Patrick-Strome
JVR-Laughton-Pitlick/NAK

Strome provides some insurance when one of Voracek/JVR is taken by Seattle. We'll delay with the luxury of Lindblom WHEN he's back.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
He's not a C anymore. He's been playing wing half the season, and it seems the Hawks think his future is there.

There's a lot of things that piss Hawks fans off about Strome, most notably the following:
1) He's slow, which makes him a liability defensively
2) He plays the softest game of a 6-3 210 lb forward I've ever seen
3) He has an above average shot, but rarely uses it.
4) He's completely useless when not scoring, and is very streaky.

Despite all of that, He's still a good player.
I'm curious as to why, after listing all of these flaws, you feel like an RFA without arb rights is going to command a $6M deal. Make him prove that he can be a 60 point player -AND- work on these areas of his game before opening the checkbook. Overpaying players like this, that haven't proven enough in this league, is how you end up in a cap crunch in the first place, which causes you to have to give up good players because you can't pay them. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I'm ready to be pelted by fellow Flyer's tomatoes but:

Ghost
Aube-Kubel or Pitlick
for
Strome

Ideal lineup
Giroux-Coots-Konecny
Farabee- Hayes-Voracek
Frost-Patrick-Strome
JVR-Laughton-Pitlick/NAK

Strome provides some insurance
when one of Voracek/JVR is taken by Seattle. We'll delay with the luxury of Lindblom WHEN he's back.

No thank you from the hawks.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Greenway/Donato+Foligno for Strome. Add picks as needed. Foligno is an excellent bottom 6 player who will be a fan favorite right away. Greenway/Donato provides some upside to make up for losing Saad.

Wild get a young playmaking C to get the puck to Kaprizov & Fiala and begin to clear out the glut of LWs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad