Value of: Dylan Strome (as an RFA in the summer) or Brandon Saad

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Strome is a lightning rod among Hawks fans right now. They're in another cap crunch, and have to decide between Saad and Strome. It is unlikely they'd be able to keep both.

Saad would have 1 year left on his deal at $6M. Strome would probably require a similar caphit.

This is your classic points vs possession driver debate.
Strome just produces(has been around a 60-70 point pace since coming to the Hawks) but Saad produces around 50 pts and puts up really good possession metrics.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
You sign Strome and move Saad. Strome is a C young and will like sign a long term 7-8 year around what Saad is being paid now. He stays as your 2C u TIL he surpasses Toews as the 1C which should be in a year or two.

C are hard to come by especially young.
He's not a C anymore. He's been playing wing half the season, and it seems the Hawks think his future is there.

There's a lot of things that piss Hawks fans off about Strome, most notably the following:
1) He's slow, which makes him a liability defensively
2) He plays the softest game of a 6-3 210 lb forward I've ever seen
3) He has an above average shot, but rarely uses it.
4) He's completely useless when not scoring, and is very streaky.

Despite all of that, He's still a good player.

Last edited:

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Strome for Broberg or replace Strome with DeBrincat and we add Puljujarvi and our 1st.

Now we're getting somewhere.

Not a need in Edmonton. Even if Strome has moved to wing, he doesn't look like he can keep up with McDavid or Draisaitl. He plays a different type of game that I don't see working with them. Not to mention that Edmonton can't afford to move out an ELC for a 6-7 million dollar player.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Not a need in Edmonton. Even if Strome has moved to wing, he doesn't look like he can keep up with McDavid or Draisaitl. He plays a different type of game that I don't see working with them. Not to mention that Edmonton can't afford to move out an ELC for a 6-7 million dollar player.

Maroon and Nuge did. I don’t buy the McDavid needs a fast player like a Kapanen that’s spoken like gospel on HF. Strome and McDavid are BFF and former line mates. Strome is a legit top 6 winger and can play center in a pinch. He’s a solid pickup

Reactions: _Del_

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Maroon and Nuge did. I don’t buy the McDavid needs a fast player like a Kapanen that’s spoken like gospel on HF. Strome and McDavid are BFF and former line mates. Strome is a legit top 6 winger and can play center in a pinch. He’s a solid pickup
The Hawks are super deep with D prospects already. Do you guys need more RHD or LHD?

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Well thats just not really true, but I dont really see anything that makes sense for the sharks to give up for Strome.
What I meant is that the Sharks aren't a good trading partner for the Hawks.
If I wanted something from you guys, it would be Meier but the Hawks can't afford him without trading someone else.
If the Hawks are trading Strome, they need NHL ready assets on an ELC.

Strome is kind of like a poor man's Jumbo Joe.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Larsson + for Strome, put Connors best bud on his wing
No room for Larsson. We have plenty of young defensemen coming up, and we're deep on the right side. Broberg fills a need organizationally for the Hawks(big, skilled LHD), Larsson is just a Murphy clone.
If the Hawks could build something around Broberg+Puljujarvi that would be a good deal. Hawks might need to add a little bit, but sure.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
What does Chicago need if they trade Strome?

The Wild's most valuable pieces wouldn't really help your cap situation (Dumba, Zucker, Brodin). We do have guys like Donato, Greenway that would be much cheaper replacements, though not as good. We can't afford to give up 1sts or 2nds either.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
He's not a C anymore. He's been playing wing half the season, and it seems the Hawks think his future is there.

There's a lot of things that piss Hawks fans off about Strome, most notably the following:
1) He's slow, which makes him a liability defensively
2) He plays the softest game of a 6-3 210 lb forward I've ever seen
3) He has an above average shot, but rarely uses it.
4) He's completely useless when not scoring, and is very streaky.

Despite all of that, He's still a good player.
Sounds like his brother before he put it all together.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
No room for Larsson. We have plenty of young defensemen coming up, and we're deep on the right side. Broberg fills a need organizationally for the Hawks(big, skilled LHD), Larsson is just a Murphy clone.
If the Hawks could build something around Broberg+Puljujarvi that would be a good deal. Hawks might need to add a little bit, but sure.
If the Oilers aren't sending any salary back to CHI, then it would likely just be Broberg.

IcedJuicebox

Feb 2, 2019
If the Oilers aren't sending any salary back to CHI, then it would likely just be Broberg.
I know the common theme on hfboards is overrating prospects/picks, but being a 30 year red wings fan , I sincerely doubt that Holland would part with broberg unless it was for someone much more valued.

That's not to say strome isnt a good player, but Holland is weird about players he drafted, and broberg is his 1st pick with his new club. I dont see it happening.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad