Dylan McIlrath

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
I just started watching the Bruins game, but I've never seen Mcllrath play at any level until now. 1 period in, I see that he's slow, but I love his snarl.

What do you guys think so far? Could he work with a mobile partner on the 3rd pair?

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
We have a logjam of 3rd pairing Ds, McIlrath is nothing special to cut out a late career like Jensen. I guess he'll follow in the footsteps of Lashoff.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
If you don't have guys like Witkowski and McIlrath around, then guys like Mantha and Bertuzzi invariably end up doing your fighting....
I like having a bit of snarl on the team. From what I've seen so far, neither guy is a complete dumpster fire and usually doesn't hurt the team being on the ice, in their limited roles. If they will play for near league minimum, then sign them.

Reactions: avssuc

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
If you don't have guys like Witkowski and McIlrath around, then guys like Mantha and Bertuzzi invariably end up doing your fighting....
I like having a bit of snarl on the team. From what I've seen so far, neither guy is a complete dumpster fire and usually doesn't hurt the team being on the ice, in their limited roles. If they will play for near league minimum, then sign them.
I'd rather just have one but I agree. We seem to play better with Witkowski in the lineup.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I wish the Wings would play Witkowski up front more often. I think it would free him up to play his game more since if he did end up fighting a guy, there are eleven forwards to cover for his absence rather than five defencemen. Also, I think it simplifies things, where his biggest concern is getting in hard on the forecheck and battling along the boards, whereas the defensive assignments on the backend are more limiting. But maybe he just doesn't work up front.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
I really hope we keep Witowski and McIlrath around.. but in there exact spots. Witowski playing every week or so, and the other as a call up... Both can play the game and are not pure enforcers but they keep the other team honest. Still need toughness to make sure your skill players have freedom and confidence someone will have their back.

This is exactly it. Also how can you not LOVE witkowski as a 7th d/ 13th forward? He plays either role decent enough to be that veteran guy to step in. Seems to be a team favorite as well.

Side note I've really enjoyed Bowey so far, he deserves a spot next year, to see how he does.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Agreed on Bowey... Green, DDK, Bowey, Cholo, Erricson, and Hronek are the 6 I want... it's still not talented enough but it's a step in the right direction. I don't love Erricson gone and a legit top 4 thrown in but I don't see a way of making it hapoen.

Have Witowski keep his current role, would likely sign league minimum knowing his role and being able to stay in his home town with an understanding for cap and number purposes he may need to spend time in the minors if necessary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad