Dylan McIlrath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Still waiting for you to give me these countless examples of Dmen who played their rookie season when they were turning 24 and ended up being top pairing D like many Rangers fans think he becomes. If there are so many then please list them.

So who are they then? Let's see if the 4th time I ask will be when you answer.

I don't have the time and I don't see the point of it, just take my word for it. Its not hard to find examples of Ds who have played 1st pairing hockey and who played their rookie year in the NHL the year they turned 24. Mark Giordano, Johnny Boychuk, Kevin Bieksa, Marek Zidlicky, Brian Rafalski, Francois Beuchemin, Sheldon Souray, Lubomir Vishnovsky, Mark Streit and so forth and so forth and so forth.

If you want to dig up more meaningful examples in relation to McIlrath (instead of filling your blanks), you need to sit down and spend some time at it. I always liked Aaron Miller for example, immediately thinks of him in this context.

You will understand how I feel in 10-15 year times when you are attacked with statements like "Give me one example of a player who played in the NHL the same season he was drafted"/"There have never been a Russian player in the NHL who scored a lot of goals"/"Swedish players always thinks shoot first, there have never been a Swedish playmaker in the NHL"/"The only player to have a Gordie Howe Hat-trick is Gordie Howe" and stuff like that. ;)

Your entire context is also based on McIlrath playing his first real long stint in the NHL when he is 23 y/o. Everyone however knows that he was ready last year and would have played if he didn't have the deepest blue-line in the league (maybe?) in front of him. If you expand your search to NHL Ds who only played like a bit in a small role in the NHL when they were 22 y/o, and then went on to become top pairing Ds you literary start to cover most Ds in this league. Ds needs some time to develop.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Great game by McIlbust BTW. :)

He shouldn't be overrated. He isn't Weber II. I think its a reach to even hope that he will become Seabrook II. With that said, given how well he have come along lately, damn its nice to watch him play this poised and composed hockey in the NHL.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Brian Rafalski didn't play his first NHL game until he was 26. He spent 4 years in college and 4 more years in Europe before coming back to play with the devils.

I'm sure there are other examples, but just because something is rare, doesn't mean it can't happen. No one is saying that McIlrath WILL be a 1st pair defender. Whether or not he even has the potential depends on your definition of 1st pair.

IMO, if you are able to play 20+ minutes a night while shutting down the best players in the league, you are a 1st pair dman, regardless of how many points you score. Now if you want to argue #1 dman vs #2 dman, I'd say a #1 has to be able to shut down the opposition AND put up points.

McIlrath will probably never put up the kind of points needed to be considered a #1 dman, but that doesn't mean he can't excel at shutting down the opposition.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
Nice to see him finally playing in the NHL. I have been a big fan of his ever since his Moose Jaw Warrior days.

He is a throwback to the old style brand of D that is unfortunately being phased out of the league. I'm rooting for him.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Well over a dozen players drafted after him that are better. Some light years. It was a bad pick then and it's still a bad pick now.

That's not really saying much considering how many players were drafted after him. And nearly every team has a top 10-15 pick that you can say that about.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I'm over the "bad pick" label...have been over it for a few years now.

When McI was drafted, the Rangers already had Del Zotto in the lineup. DZ was their puck mover. They also already had Redden (signed to a long-term deal), Rozsival (who was consistently putting up 30 points), and Gilroy (who they hoped would become more of a PMD). Fowler would not have been a bad pick, but the Rangers figured they had their puck movers already in the system, especially in DZ.

McI was the type of guy that fits the Torts system. He was a type of defenseman that we were lacking at the time, as Sauer was yet to make the team. Wouldn't have surprised me if the Rangers were hoping for a Leetch-Beuke-esque pairing in DZ and McIlrath.

When it comes to Tarasenko, no one was even certain he would be coming over to play. As had been the case with the Ranger system, we always needed more prospects, so we went with a guy who was considered more of a sure thing. Every year, skilled European players fall to later rounds despite immense talent (Buchnevich, 3rd round 2013) because there is always a question about willingness to come to North America.

I digress.

Anyway, McIlrath has done well wherever he has played. He has looked excellent with Yandle, and he has had an increase in responsibilities as well. I don't think he has 1st-pairing upside, but you never know how a player will end up. For now, we as a fanbase are happy with his performance. He had a few injuries and setbacks over the years, so it's really a testament to his work ethic that he's both made the NHL and has been excelling with what he has been given.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Bumping this up. This guy has been on fire with the Rangers Wolf Pack this season. Now, I know it's early, but I truly think he could prove us all wrong and justify his draft placement after all. Look at a guy like Fowler - he's been in the league for a while but has really stagnated since his rookie season, putting up 40 points and then never hitting that number since. He's no Norris winner, that's for sure. Just about all of his linemates improve their possession numbers when they are separated from him, and we all know that possession numbers win championships. I see McIlrath developing into a dominant defensive force in the NHL AHL while putting up at least 4 goals and 10 assists a season. The kind of guy his teammates get up to play with. A visceral, lead by example, tough MF. Not trying to be a homer or anything

I'll wait for my infraction now...should be worth it

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Bumping this up. This guy has been on fire with the Rangers Wolf Pack this season. Now, I know it's early, but I truly think he could prove us all wrong and justify his draft placement after all. Look at a guy like Fowler - he's been in the league for a while but has really stagnated since his rookie season, putting up 40 points and then never hitting that number since. He's no Norris winner, that's for sure. Just about all of his linemates improve their possession numbers when they are separated from him, and we all know that possession numbers win championships. I see McIlrath developing into a dominant defensive force in the NHL AHL while putting up at least 4 goals and 10 assists a season. The kind of guy his teammates get up to play with. A visceral, lead by example, tough MF. Not trying to be a homer or anything

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town

Ah f***, I can't believe you've done this. :laugh:

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
This thread is what happens when one is too caught up in advanced stats. I look at them from time to time to see if they support what I'm seeing (eye test) but it's pretty cringe worthy when people use them as the be all end all in arguments.

This thread is a perfect example of that.
Still holds true and this thread is, again, a perfect example of it.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
So if they don't match up with what you see then they're bunk?

Considering he was just waived down to the AHL with nobody claiming him, I guess in this case, the advanced stats are rather bunk. Not always the case, but looks like it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad