Waived: Dylan McIlrath (UPDATE: Cleared)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
He showed promise, but the brass knows what he is capable of long term, and that doesn't fit into the team Gorton wants to build. It sucks because he's a great kid who battled injuries, but his overall game just isn't fit for the direction they want to move.

I understand, and it was clear to everyone for a while this day was coming. But losing him for nothing, most likely, is just salt in the wound.

We'll always have him standing up to Simmonds last season.

TheLowKreider

Aug 4, 2009
Not sure where all these instances of Mac playing badly are coming from considering he never played.

Meanwhile Girardi and Holden are still here.

The Undertaker

Jun 22, 2012
Not sure where all these instances of Mac playing badly are coming from considering he never played.

Meanwhile Girardi and Holden are still here.

He played great when he consistently got time with Yandle for a few weeks. He played poorly when he sat for 3-4 weeks and than played on the 4th line wing with Glass and Moore or with Dan Boyle on his off side.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Part of it. Draft a player you overvalue, give him 6 years to develop, then DON'T give him a chance, lose him for nothing.

Next step will be watching him develop into a Top 4 Dman somewhere else.

McIlrath had a chance every day in practice to impress AV. He obviously didn't do it. No team wanted to trade for him and according to Brooks, it's 50/50 that he gets claimed.

People said AV didn't give Etem a chance when we traded him to Vancouver. Etem did nothing in Vancouver and just got waived in Anaheim.

I like Dylan. I hope he lands on his feet, but he just isn't that good of a player. Maybe he can find his niche on the bottom pair in a zone style defense somewhere.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
If this is a precursor to Glass, or trading for Fowler so they can have two LHD on the right side top 4 (or both), I think that would about undo all the good they did this off-season.

SML

Mar 13, 2002
Visit site
Unless this kid has a raging substance abuse problem, or they keep funding hookers stuffed under his bed when they go on road trips, this does not make sense. I hope there's more to this than meets the eye because if there isn't, it's ********.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
McIlrath had a chance every day in practice to impress AV. He obviously didn't do it. No team wanted to trade for him and according to Brooks, it's 50/50 that he gets claimed.

People said AV didn't give Etem a chance when we traded him to Vancouver. Etem did nothing in Vancouver and just got waived in Anaheim.

I like Dylan. I hope he lands on his feet, but he just isn't that good of a player. Maybe he can find his niche on the bottom pair in a zone style defense somewhere.

Holden plays with McDonagh on the right-side.

I have a hard time appealing to AV's judgment here.

You should, too.

The Undertaker

Jun 22, 2012
Also Nick ****ing Holden is still on the team. I don't understand how EVERY ****ing AVs and Rangers fan thinks this guy is an atrocity, yet AV seems to think he's a top pairing dman. Just don't get it.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Yeah.

I can picture McIlrath knowing the Rangers strength is streaking wingers, and executing a perfectly timed body-check to break that play up immediately.

This game is fun.

This dude got turned "inside out" so many times last season, it really affected the amount of goals and shots the Rangers gave up with him on the ice.

There's no denying he had a good stretch last year, but he's also had this issue consistently - including since then. I'm not wishing the kid ill, but I've watched him a LOT since he was drafted, and but for that one stretch, he's had way too many holes in his game. If he didn't, we wouldn't be having this conversation, because he never would have been waived. (And honestly, if he didn't have pugilistic qualities - which BTW often get him in trouble with his coach - and/or hadn't been the team's highest draft pick in a decade, I doubt there'd be near this much handwringing over the move.)

I mean, I'm the LAST one to want to let an asset go for free, but I'm afraid that this particular asset apparently just doesn't have much value. At least no more than the cap space they're freeing up by waiving him. (Though I still wonder why they're doing that with Jooris a natural candidate to hit the IR...) I'm just not that fussed about it.

All that being said, watch him go unclaimed, thus making this whole point moot. :)

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007
Yeah.

I can picture McIlrath knowing the Rangers strength is streaking wingers, and executing a perfectly timed body-check to break that play up immediately.

This game is fun.

This dude got turned "inside out" so many times last season, it really affected the amount of goals and shots the Rangers gave up with him on the ice.

Come on now.

McIlrath is an serviceable d-man that has no place on this team.

a tribe cq

That’s just like…your opinion man.
Jan 15, 2013
Sickening, in all honesty.

Never got a fair shake, played well for us down the stretch last year to be benched again, teammates have nothing but good things to say about him.

Gum-chewer's treatment of this kid has been absurd.

edit:

Anyone calling for consistency issues is absurd....you need more then 1 game for the opportunity to be consistent in the first place.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Yeahhh like I think he probably should have gotten more of a chance here but it's not like the Rangers are giving up on a guy that's going to become a superstar. The worst thing about it is all the chances Girardi gets while he's also slow of foot and bad of passing, but that's how it goes in the NHL regarding vets.

I think while McIlrath did play well with Yandle last year, we probably need to remember that Yandle is really really good and helped carry McIlrath as well, and that he struggled when he wasn't paired with the best puck moving guy on the team.

Hope he does well somewhere.

I also suspect this might be a "we couldn't find a trade partner, so we're waiving the guy to give him a chance to catch on with another team". It's a favor to Dylan, not a slight at this point.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
There's no denying he had a good stretch last year, but he's also had this issue consistently - including since that stretch. I'm not wishing the kid ill, but I've watched him a LOT since he was drafted, and but for that one stretch, he's had way too many holes in his game. If he didn't, we wouldn't be having this conversation, because he never would have been waived. And honestly, if he didn't have pugilistic qualities (which BTW often get him in trouble with his coach) and/or hadn't been the team's highest draft pick in a decade, I doubt there'd be near this much handwringing over the move.

I mean, I'm the LAST one to want to let an asset go for free, but I'm afraid that this particular asset apparently just doesn't have much value. At least no more than the cap space they're freeing up by waiving him. (Though I still wonder why they're doing that with Jooris a natural candidate to hit the IR...) I'm just not that fussed about it.

All that being said, watch him go unclaimed, thus making this whole point moot. :)

Cool. I've also watched Dylan a lot since he was drafted. I've seen a different player than you.

Eye-test, huh?

Fortunately for me, objective reasoning determines that at worst, Dylan IS a third-pairing d-man...

playerCard-mcilrdy92.png

It's a completely mis-managed asset. He'll be claimed. He'll have a solid career when he gets his shot. I'm rooting for him.

Deployed as a third-pairing d-man mostly against bottom-6 players and he crushed them on the stat sheet.

TheLowKreider

Aug 4, 2009

I take AV's assessment of good defensemen with boulders of salt. So his practice performance means nothing to me. Dagoon says AV hates Kreider and Zuc cause of their practice performance.

He's younger than Holden, cheaper than Holden, more upside than Holden, been a Ranger a hell of a lot longer than Holden. I'm gonna get killed for this comparison, but if Girardi is a Ranger cause of loyalty reasons why isn't Mac instead of Holden? We need young, cheap dmen. Mac isn't the fastest defensemen but he's not immobile by any means. Best first passer last year. Just infuriating all around.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Cool. I've also watched Dylan a lot since he was drafted. I've seen a different player than you.

Eye-test, huh?

Fortunately for me, objective reasoning determines that at worst, Dylan IS a third-pairing d-man...

playerCard-mcilrdy92.png

It's a completely mis-managed asset. He'll be claimed. He'll have a solid career when he gets his shot. I'm rooting for him.

Deployed as a third-pairing d-man mostly against bottom-6 players and he crushed them on the stat sheet.

What a bunch of horribly ugly and confusing charts, come the hell on with these things people, jesus christ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad