Waived: Dylan McIlrath (UPDATE: Cleared)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
I didn't mind McIlrath, but he was just too average in too many ways and didn't really have another level to his game.

I really hope he gets another chance somewhere, but it was clear he was way down on the depth charts here

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
AV simply doesn't know what makes a good defenseman and this has nothing to do with McIlrath.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
I didn't mind McIlrath, but he was just too average in too many ways and didn't really have another level to his game.

I really hope he gets another chance somewhere, but it was clear he was way down on the depth charts here

I would prefer too average to absolute horrendous. Right now we are icing two pathetic D-Men who are only declining.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

What I would give for average on this defense right now.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
ok here's another opportunity for the new D coach at Hartford, Keith McCambridge, to demonstrate his player development bona fides

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I was reading through the last few pages and other McI related threads and it's fascinating how anytime I see arguments between people, it's almost 100% of the time because of strawmen from folks, usually on the "send him down side"

The point of contention in all of this is really AV's roster decisions and the play of the people who are put in their instead of McI since last season when he actually played well.

I've yet to see anyone base their argument on "Not losing a 10th overall" and yet folks keep saying that the only reason this is an issue is b/c of his draft spot.

Holden (and last year girardi and boyle) has been so demonstrably NOT better than what McI did last year that it makes no sense to potentially sacrifice a still developing 24 year old for a 29 year old.

We've seen this franchise make a series of atrocious moves not the least of which is what I'm pretty sure was unanimous hatred of AV's decision to play Glass. This is all a reaction to yet another example of what is part of AV: roster decisions that make no sense and double standards that apply to very specific players.

Last edited by a moderator:

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
If the Rangers made a mistake not keeping him up, so did every other GM by not picking him up for nothing.

Amazing how many posters here know more than every single GM in the NHL.

Maybe he will get better in the minors and make all GMs into idiots, but until then it appears he is severely overrated by many here.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
If the Rangers made a mistake not keeping him up, so did every other GM by not picking him up for nothing.

Amazing how many posters here know more than every single GM in the NHL.

Maybe he will get better in the minors and make all GMs into idiots, but until then it appears he is severely overrated by many here.

:handclap:
I believe a lot of posters truly believe they know more than most teams GMS and coaches

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Is it possible that this is an occurrence where the majority of us just disagree?

Do you agree with everything every GM and coach does?

No, of course you don't.

No but i truly don't claim or believe to know more than actual coaches who around the game 24/7 and i watch every single game Ranger game including out of market games every night. Just feel like its more than two posters disagreeing (debating is fine and healthy) but rather some posters feeling they know more than the actual coaches and gm's around the league.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Is it possible that this is an occurrence where the majority of us just disagree?

Do you agree with everything every GM and coach does?

No, of course you don't.

It's one thing to disagree with one organization (not too difficult with ours) or even a few but here, every organization made the same decision. Are they all wrong? How often does that happen?

I like Mcilrath and wish we kept him as the 7th D and didn't sign Holden. I was at the Sharks game and was glad he stuck up for Rantaa (maybe I'd feel a little different watching on TV) but either way, McIlrath doesn't have a Yandle to partner with anymore. Has he played well with any other partner?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
People have a strong appeal to authority. Sometimes GMs make mistakes. I'm not even a huge McIlrath fan. But, all GMs passed on him therefore he sucks is a weak argument.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
It's one thing to disagree with one organization (not too difficult with ours) or even a few but here, every organization made the same decision. Are they all wrong? How often does that happen?

I like Mcilrath and wish we kept him as the 7th D and didn't sign Holden. I was at the Sharks game and was glad he stuck up for Rantaa (maybe I'd feel a little different watching on TV) but either way, McIlrath doesn't have a Yandle to partner with anymore. Has he played well with any other partner?

exactly which is why if any Ranger stated on here that fowler is better than Mcilrath he would get destroyed for his opinion . Im sure there are still some that would still feel that mcilrath is better than Fowler.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
People have a strong appeal to authority. Sometimes GMs make mistakes. I'm not even a huge McIlrath fan. But, all GMs passed on him therefore he sucks is a weak argument.

Agreed. saying he sucks is over the top ...bordering on hyperbole but is it fair to say he's not capable of being a steady every night dman in the nhl? Not making a statement just throwing the question out there.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
No but i truly don't claim or believe to know more than actual coaches who around the game 24/7 and i watch every single game Ranger game including out of market games every night. Just feel like its more than two posters disagreeing (debating is fine and healthy) but rather some posters feeling they know more than the actual coaches and gm's around the league.

The only thing people are saying is that they think that McIlrath is a capable 3RD currently and has the potential to be more. Not being claimed by any other organization is so much more than "well obviously they don't think that way". Every organization has their own McIlrath. Their own guys they've been developing in their system.

The frustration comes into play when we see Holden and Girardi out there every night despite believing that McIlrath has been better. There are subjective and objective measures that display this.

Not claiming a guy goes so much further than them believing whether or not he can contribute to their team. There are cap restraints. Contract restraints. Who are they going to send to the minors over McIlrath.

All of these things matter.

It's not as simple as: "Wow he wasn't claimed look at all these idiots who think he's an NHL d-man, and now I'm right because 29 teams didn't take him for free"

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
but is it fair to say he's not capable of being a steady every night dman in the nhl? Not making a statement just throwing the question out there.

Sure but i really hope "30 GMs passing on him" or "AV didn't play him" is not your reasoning for it.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Not claiming a guy goes so much further than them believing whether or not he can contribute to their team. There are cap restraints. Contract restraints. Who are they going to send to the minors over McIlrath.

All of these things matter.

It's not as simple as: "Wow he wasn't claimed look at all these idiots who think he's an NHL d-man, and now I'm right because 29 teams didn't take him for free"

I never made any claims about McIlrath so there's nothing for me to be right about (as usual). But I didn't read too many posts that included these considerations during the waiver process so I think there is a bit of goal post moving here. Am I wrong on this?

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
Just because no one claimed him doesn't mean its not mismanagement of a 1st round pick. Even if they knew 100% no one would claim him sending him down with 1 game played this year is mismanagement.

Can any one really say with certainty that the kid is what he is with no room for even the slightest improvement after playing more than half a season worth of NHL games?

That's almost like saying Buch or Vesey will never get better at the halfway point this year. How did Kreider look after half a season played?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
"In a poll of 30 expert hockey minds, there was unanimous agreement that Dylan McIlrath is not currently an NHL player."

It might not be proof, but its far from meaningless

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
"In a poll of 30 expert hockey minds, there was unanimous agreement that Dylan McIlrath is not currently an NHL player."

It might not be proof, but its far from meaningless

Definitely Far far from meaningless. It says A lot! The next question is did we as a franchise stunt his growth by not giving him a fair shake or did he never posses the skating ability to play at this level. If its the former than AV should have some blame for that

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Definitely Far far from meaningless. It says A lot! The next question is did we as a franchise stunt his growth by not giving him a fair shake or did he never posses the skating ability to play at this level. If its the former than AV should have some blame for that

Well, assigning blame isn't necessary. A combination of McIlraths particular set of strengths and weaknesses combined with the timing of his development and the structure of the Rangers roster conspired to prevent him from solidifying a spot on the team when it would have done him the most good

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I was reading through the last few pages and other McI related threads and it's fascinating how anytime I see arguments between people, it's almost 100% of the time because of strawmen from folks, usually on the "send him down side"

The point of contention in all of this is really AV's roster decisions and the play of the people who are put in their instead of McI since last season when he actually played well.

I've yet to see anyone base their argument on "Not losing a 10th overall" and yet folks keep saying that the only reason this is an issue is b/c of his draft spot.

Holden (and last year girardi and boyle) has been so demonstrably NOT better than what McI did last year that it makes no sense to potentially sacrifice a still developing 24 year old for a 29 year old.

We've seen this franchise make a series of atrocious moves not the least of which is what I'm pretty sure was unanimous hatred of AV's decision to play Glass. This is all a reaction to yet another example of what is part of AV: roster decisions that make no sense and double standards that apply to very specific players.

Lost in the sea of idiotic "you think you know better than an NHL coach ", strawman arguments that not a single person is making, is this fantastic post. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad