Player Discussion Dylan McIlrath - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
lisin could be signed for cheap. having a good season for salavat in the K. :laugh:

such a stretch calling dylan poor mans parayko. outside of this site, not sure anyone would agree with that.

maybe im wrong though...... :shakehead

I think a better description for Dylan would be a poor mans Rod Langway :D

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
you jest ?

there is this matter of :

girardi, daniel.

clearly you forgot he was still um..... gulp.... a ny ranger ?

Girardi was awful for 2 years, but honestly, he has not been bad so far this season. I am not a Girardi fan, but he has not been our worst D-man

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Just speaking for me, I was comparing the situations not making a linear to the player themselves.

Chara had already played like 200 NHL games for the Islanders before they traded him.

Among really big D there is two kind of distinct groups, Weber, Chara, Hedman, Parayko and such, and then the guys I listed. The only in between guys are something similar to Hal Gill.

Does not mean I think he should not get a real chance, I do and have said as much. I think AV is out to win right now and believes he will do so more going with other players, development and long term asset management is not his thing.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Girardi's been good?

Iv8Loor.gif

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
Agreed. Limited sample size for sure - and coming off of some horrendous PS games - but he looked good in the first two games before he got hurt.

He didn't look good against StL. Missed checks, falling down, the puck went over his stick on the Tarasenko goal.

Interesting how people want to find something good in these lousy players. In pre-season people were talking about how much faster Glass was than in previous years. As if 30-year olds suddenly get faster.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
He didn't look good against StL. Missed checks, falling down, the puck went over his stick on the Tarasenko goal.

Interesting how people want to find something good in these lousy players. In pre-season people were talking about how much faster Glass was than in previous years. As if 30-year olds suddenly get faster.

Well, the only ones talking about Glass were Sam and Joe.

As for Girardi, I do have to admit that I'm mainly talking about game 1, as I watched the game against STL on replay. So maybe it's a REALLY limited sample size. :) And I certainly wouldn't be surprised if he went back to full on suckage when he returns.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
This is what we were all talking about Girardi in the off-season.

There's no doubt Girardi, in his four periods of game time this season, has looked better than he did last year.

That's because last year he was undeniably the worst d-man in the NHL.

So when AV and the FO were out and about this off-season expecting a "bounceback year from a rested and healthy (that lasted long) Girardi", well, he's "bounced back" to being a #6 d-man (barely) instead of a#10.

And for the record, Girardi was a negative relative shot attempt player in game 1 and his minimal time in game 2, and it's not a coincidence that McDonagh has been amazing since he went down.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
This is what we were all talking about Girardi in the off-season.

There's no doubt Girardi, in his four periods of game time this season, has looked better than he did last year.

That's because last year he was undeniably the worst d-man in the NHL.

So when AV and the FO were out and about this off-season expecting a "bounceback year from a rested and healthy Girardi", well, he's "bounced back" to being a #6 d-man (barely) instead of a#10.

And for the record, Girardi was a negative relative shot attempt player in game 1 and his minimal time in game 2, and it's not a coincidence that McDonagh has been amazing since he went down.

Agreed. I don't really understand how anyone can think Girardi was good. Not as bad as last year, sure. Still bad, yes.

The sad part is, imagine if McD was given a competent first line partner. Holden is nearly as bad.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I don't know, I think Girardi may have blocked at least one of those Burns goals. Fenwick is where it's at. :sarcasm:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Ah, but facts ≠ the conclusions derived therefrom... ;)

Well... I could say that Girardi was the worst d-man in 5v5 relative shot attempt impact per 60 last season and that is fact.

But then if I extrapolate that to mean that Girardi is the worst d-man on the Rangers since Stu Bickel, then yes, that is one person's interpretation of a fact.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
For whatever reason AV doesn't think McI fits into the team's structure. As long as AV is here, that will not change. I can't imagine the NYR holding onto Dylan for long enough that AV is no longer here. IMO Dylan WILL be a second or third pairing Dman with the ability to put forwards on their heels, to pull up rather than take a hit. He will make players pay in front of the net, and he will contribute a heavy shot. He is an excellent team player and if he improves enough to be on a second pair, he will also assume a team leadership position, maybe an A. But it's not going to happen here, we are going to keep bemoaning the fact that our D is so soft on forwards driving into the goalie, loses so many board battles, that the team is so unresponsive to people taking shots at our skilled and young players, and Dylan will be on another team providing those aspects.
Part of me hopes it's in our division so everyone who thought it was a good idea to dump him is confronted with it regularly.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Im a Dan Girardi fan. He has done some things inside the offensive zone better than he usually is credited for but his turn and get back wheels are not the same as in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad