Player Discussion Dylan McIlrath - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dagoon44

Sep 15, 2003
NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com
Eeesh.

Lets hope Mcilrath doesn't make bad decisions with the puck as many times as he did in preseason.

Going to ask this and i am not being sarcastic. I watched and read online here and a few other places and most games no one knocked the kid. I have to admit no one praised him either but once AV got his leaks to the media the he was poor in games stuff started.. He was PAired with AHL-ECHL guys in the pre season and legit i don't think he shinned but when did he stink ?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Going to ask this and i am not being sarcastic. I watched and read online here and a few other places and most games no one knocked the kid. I have to admit no one praised him either but once AV got his leaks to the media the he was poor in games stuff started.. He was PAired with AHL-ECHL guys in the pre season and legit i don't think he shinned but when did he stink ?

It's not like we were playing teams with a full NHL line-up either.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
I want nothing more than him to succeed, but his preseason was not good. Not the worst of the Ranger's d, and I believe he deserves a permanent spot, but he seemed very overwhelmed.

Dagoon44

Sep 15, 2003
NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com
I want nothing more than him to succeed, but his preseason was not good. Not the worst of the Ranger's d, and I believe he deserves a permanent spot, but he seemed very overwhelmed.

OR is the kid pissed off and looking like a beaten player knowing his coach hates him .. Look at his face when he is announced opening night wow dejected isnt the right word

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
Don't have to tell me twice how much AV mishandles the defense lol. He certainly hasn't been put into a position to succeed, but he also has a lot to prove when given the time.

And yes, Skjei struggled immensely in preseason too, there is an obvious bias.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
So when did he stink? are u saying we were over matched cause a few games we were for sure with what we dressed. See i am saying its a AV media plant not so much bad on ice showings

I never said he was awful during pre-season. He wasn't good enough to earn a spot in the line-up. He was outplayed by Clendening.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

I watched him pretty closely in camp - and let me go on record saying that I like the kid and I want him to succeed. I think he's had some tough luck throughout his career. I would want nothing less for him to succeed because I think he brings some elements to the table that are unique to this team.

I mentioned after the preseason i thought he was 8th on the depth chart behind Clendening. I felt that in his own zone specifically in the high traffic areas he has difficulties dealing with speedier players who are shifty in and around the net. Same could be said for some other defenseman on the Rangers but they make up for it with their stick or recover in better time.

I also feel like he makes the wrong decisions with the puck. It's not necessarily something that stands out as the wrong play unless its a flat out giveaway or thrown into space where an opponent is (there were occasions when he did that too). In the defensive zone he makes some bad calls on outlet passes and his decisions don't work well enough to benefit the Rangers system on a consistent basis.

...and I'm not the only one that felt this way apparently, after the entire coaching staff (including his biggest fan in Buek who happens to coach the defense) decided to put him in the press box to start the season.

However, I think he does some really nice things offensively - he's one of the only guys on the backend getting pucks to the net with any kind of regularity. But he needs to figure his own zone out. He had a stretch where he did a fine job last season, but he resorted to some bad habits in this years camp.

Listen - I don't have anything against him or any other players like most Rangers fans do with whomever. I watch the games and I see what I see. I want all of the Rangers to succeed. Im just being honest. He hasn't won me over yet. I hope he does.

Last edited:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I think Skjei's solid postseason put him up a notch in camp. Plus he was battling a sickness in camp.

His skating covers up a lot of mistakes, which is something Mcilrath cant touch.

Skjei was ill as well all preseason. Just to be fair. I want Dylan in the lineup as well, though.

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
I watched him pretty closely in camp - and let me go on record saying that I like the kid and I want him to succeed. I think he's had some tough luck throughout his career. I would want nothing less for him to succeed because I think he brings some elements to the table that are unique to this team.

I mentioned after the preseason i thought he was 8th on the depth chart behind Clendening. I felt that in his own zone specifically in the high traffic areas he has difficulties dealing with speedier players who are shifty in and around the net. Same could be said for some other defenseman on the Rangers but they make up for it with their stick or recover in better time.

I also feel like he makes the wrong decisions with the puck. It's not necessarily something that stands out as the wrong play unless its a flat out giveaway or thrown into space where an opponent is (there were occasions when he did that too). In the defensive zone he makes some bad calls on outlet passes and his decisions don't work well enough to benefit the Rangers system on a consistent basis.

...and I'm not the only one that felt this way apparently, after the entire coaching staff (including his biggest fan in Buek who happens to coach the defense) decided to put him in the press box to start the season.

However, I think he does some really nice things offensively - he's one of the only guys on the backend getting pucks to the net with any kind of regularity. But he needs to figure his own zone out. He had a stretch where he did a fine job last season, but he resorted to some bad habits in this years camp.

Listen - I don't have anything against him or any other players like most Rangers fans do with whomever. I watch the games and I see what I see. I want all of the Rangers to succeed. Im just being honest. He hasn't won me over yet. I hope he does.

I agree with all of this. The only thing I will say is when you give him a nice stretch of consistent games he adjusts. When he had his stretch with Yandle last year he appeared to be very solid, and I think his foot speed has actually improved since then.

trench23

Aug 2, 2005
OR is the kid pissed off and looking like a beaten player knowing his coach hates him .. Look at his face when he is announced opening night wow dejected isnt the right word

Dagoon(or anyone for that matter)-
Is the undertaker well liked in the locker room? I was thinking about this the other day cause you dont really here him 'paling around' with anyone. And after Staals intermission interview really got me thinking- initially staal basically said something to the effect that it was a bad move to drop the gloves, then kinda backtracked. I would think his teamates would be rooting for him to succeed with the ability to defend and intimidate(i know i am rooting for the kid)- but i just get the feeling he isnt well liked by he core.
Could you comment at all? Thanks bro!

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I've just accepted he's not going to be here much longer at this point.

People said tonight he just needs to be decent and a shutdown guy. Based on what? Last year he was 1/2 of our best pair by far and he got sat the second G was healthy enough to hobble back on the ice.

He doesn't "only" ned to do anything, he could do absolutely everything and it wouldn't matter. All of this garbage is in his head now imo and it's just not going to work with him here.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Played bad tonight unfortunately. Don't think he will be on the team much longer. Clendening deserves to play, Klein and Girardi are going to play over him.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
What a shame this whole debacle has been. NOW everyone can say it was a wasted pick. Tonight undoubtedly spelled the end here for him.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Av almost cost the game with his OWN antics to go out of his way to not play him. The defense was a ****ing mess after he benched him for no reason in the 3rd..oh right, sticking up for you're goalie is a bad thing, funny how nobody went near Raanta after that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad