Dylan Mcilrath Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Konamic Ice Hockey

Jun 13, 2012
Seattle
I must have missed the years where Beukeboom thrived without Leetch.

Never said anything like that. Just saying that was a very balanced pair. Both played better when playing together.

My point is these bigger, tougher and d first d are still needed to help balance out d pairs. If DM can be paired with KY and be a solid shut down d then KY will be able to play the game he can and wants to play like #2-#23. If KY is paired with say a Boyle then he is not going to take chances and be more worried about odd man situations.
If you can have 6 McDs that would be awesome but since you can't you need to create balence within pairs.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Goons don't consistently play top minutes on the first pair. Even in the AHL.

This narrative has to stop.

Yep. Totally agree. He was Hartford's best defenseman in the games I saw and he rarely ever loses a 1 on 1 battle. Similar to Staal in that way.

He's more similar to Staal than people give him credit for. He's the kind of player that would have headhunted Tyler Johnson and Stamkos in the games that the Rangers had a 3-4 goal lead late in the 3rd so the team would have a better shot the next game. He's got a battle level like Simmonds, Orpik and Kesler. Not as good in terms of impact, but he'll go there.

Does anything to win... plays dirty, gets sticks up, and demolishes guys when he has a chance. No flaccid outings with this character.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
If he wasn't a fighter, I doubt he would get much attention here.

If he makes it, great, but I remain in the highly doubtful camp.

Ironically enough, I feel that his play as a defenseman is underrated while his ability as a fighter is a bit overrated.

TurgePurge*

Mcilrath debut, Jokinen debut and kreider game 7 2013 vs wash belong in the hockey hall of fame of brutal decision making. own wing

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
We have a decent enough defense even though this past year was a down year for them. But we just don't have that defenseman that can punish and destroy people for even thinking they can screen Lundqvist or try cheap stuff. We absolutely NEED sandpaper in the back. This dude needs to be up here. And I honestly hate this 1st line, 3rd line bs. Do you really think there is a big drop off between a Girardi and a Kevin Klein? To me they are interchangeable yet one if a 1 and one is a 5, really a 4 if not for Boyle and Yandle needing to be babysat.

The dude that needs to go is Boyle. If he is not clicking on the PP he is useless and I would never sacrifice a spot for a useless old guy.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
It's this simple...if McIlrath is not in the Rangers plans for 2015-16, he will be traded by draft weekend. If he is still here in July, he'll have every chance to make the varsity. I'm sure the big boys have already made their decision.

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
We have a decent enough defense even though this past year was a down year for them. But we just don't have that defenseman that can punish and destroy people for even thinking they can screen Lundqvist or try cheap stuff. We absolutely NEED sandpaper in the back. This dude needs to be up here. And I honestly hate this 1st line, 3rd line bs. Do you really think there is a big drop off between a Girardi and a Kevin Klein? To me they are interchangeable yet one if a 1 and one is a 5, really a 4 if not for Boyle and Yandle needing to be babysat.

The dude that needs to go is Boyle. If he is not clicking on the PP he is useless and I would never sacrifice a spot for a useless old guy.

You can't hit what you can't keep up with.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008

Agree on McIlrath. Disagree on Boyle, though his contract is a hinderance.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Goons don't consistently play top minutes on the first pair. Even in the AHL.

This narrative has to stop.

Totally. I watched him a lot this year. He was good. Actually he was very disciplined too.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Top pairing Dman on a winning AHL club, he's definitely more than fists. I just wonder if he's seen enough competition for him to be 'ready'. This is the time guys like this start their NHL career, filled out that frame and is getting used to it, he's a man, not a boy anymore.

That said, I still think he needs to be brought along slow, gonna need time to adapt to the speed of the big league, once that happens maybe he'll be ready for bottom line duty.

And really like to see him win a spot in preseason than just being handed a spot based on need/money/waiver rules.

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
Funny, he has been more than just keeping up as a top-pairing defenseman in the AHL. Weird.

i guess it would not look good at this point if your own organization who may trade you, puts you as a third pair d man when they are possibly trying to get something for you down the road.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
Looking forward to him competing for the 6/7 spot... He won't be worth that 10th pick, but if he can develop into a legitimate #4 defenseman, he can be pretty valuable for the style he brings.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
i guess it would not look good at this point if your own organization who may trade you, puts you as a third pair d man when they are possibly trying to get something for you down the road.

Nobody, even those who have every bias against him, argue that he's not a competent 1st pairing AHL d man. Plus the team he was filling that role on just had a nice post season run so he obviously wasn't holding them back.

Last edited:

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
Or you just don't know much about the player and literally everyone else with informed opinions does.

Yes, OK and you do. He has looked out of place every minute that they have tried to get him up here. Hundwick, has a far better chance of sticking with this team than he does in making the team next year and actually making a solid contribution.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Yes, OK and you do. He has looked out of place every minute that they have tried to get him up here. Hundwick, has a far better chance of sticking with this team than he does in making the team next year and actually making a solid contribution.

So you haven't seen him play in A.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Yes, OK and you do. He has looked out of place every minute that they have tried to get him up here. Hundwick, has a far better chance of sticking with this team the he does in making the team next year.

Edited my post to make it less personal.

Yeah I do. I've actually watched him in the minors and it sure doesn't seem you have.

What are you arguing? That he's not a first pairing guy in the a or that he looked in over his head at the start of the season paired with kostka against STL when NYR was without half its defense? One of those is true though not the point you think it is and the other is absurd.

Swept In Seven

Disciple of The Zook
Apr 27, 2010
Looking forward to him competing for the 6/7 spot... He won't be worth that 10th pick, but if he can develop into a legitimate #4 defenseman, he can be pretty valuable for the style he brings.

If he develops in to a 2nd pairing D-man than the pick is certainly not wasted, if you were to look at it in a vacuum. The only thing is the talent left on the board, that makes people's stomachs turn and is the reason he is so vilified. I've never been too down on him, he will be an impact player for this team imo even if it is taking a bit longer than I was expecting. From the moment we drafted him we knew he was going to be a long term project because big defensive d-men usually are, but he is running the show down there in the A and seems to be ready to make that jump. In a decade i think many will be eating crow when it comes to Dylan McIlrath

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

Uh, the team had a pretty deep run into the AHL playoffs. Are you saying they just threw him out there just because? You are making yourself look silly and showing you have not seen him play

BLOCKERSAVE

Jan 16, 2013
From all the thread I read about Dylan. It seem to me, he's a bigger version of G. G doesn't have speed, his shot is nothing special, he doesn't carry the puck well. What's the different from Dylan and G? Experience. That's the difference. If you let Dylan play in the NHL for a while, he will be a better version of Danny G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00