Dylan mcilrath---in 10 years---

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
If next preseason he can't get more than 1 game before being sent to HFD, I shudder to think...

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Poorly then. We are discussing McIlrath and his upside, not Sauer himself.

What does upside have to do with playing at the NHL level? I'm not saying he's guaranteed to be Jeff Beukeboom, but to say he has bottom-pairing upside is ridiculous.

Might as well trade Skjei, Fast, Kristo, Duclair, Buchnevich, Miller and Lindberg because even though we see the talent they have and how it may eventually progress to the NHL level, they haven't proven it here yet.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I think you're all kidding yourselves massively.

I love your use of evidence and logical arguments. You've really contributed to this conversation.

But yes we are all deluded McIlrath fanboys.

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
I think Mcllrath will be playing in the same beer league as Hugh Jessiman in 5 years!

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I love your use of evidence and logical arguments. You've really contributed to this conversation.

But yes we are all deluded McIlrath fanboys.

What evidence have you procured? Parrot the same response over and over though, please. Sqwak. You think McI will be a middle pairing defender or better. You have no evidence, it's your opinion. I think he will be a bottom pairing, Erskine type. It's my opinion. Do I think you're a McI fan boy? No, I think you're fooling yourself because as a Rangers fan you don't want to believe we wasted a #10 pick on a guy with this little upside. I would be thrilled if McI ever became even a mediocre #4. I cannot look around the NHL and seriously believe this kid will be playing above the bottom pairing at any point in his life and I'm hardly alone on that assessment.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Apparently where you're drafted determines how good you'll be and how much skill you end up with. Since O'Brien was a late pick and McI was 10th overall, it's impossible that McI not be better.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Apparently where you're drafted determines how good you'll be and how much skill you end up with. Since O'Brien was a late pick and McI was 10th overall, it's impossible that McI not be better.

Does this mean McIlrath will be better than Shea Weber? :propeller

Man this thread made me realize how underrated Michael Sauer was. There is no evidence to suggest McIlrath has more upside than him. One of the smartest defensive players I've seen and was a huge player.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
What evidence have you procured? Parrot the same response over and over though, please. Sqwak. You think McI will be a middle pairing defender or better. You have no evidence, it's your opinion. I think he will be a bottom pairing, Erskine type. It's my opinion. Do I think you're a McI fan boy? No, I think you're fooling yourself because as a Rangers fan you don't want to believe we wasted a #10 pick on a guy with this little upside. I would be thrilled if McI ever became even a mediocre #4. I cannot look around the NHL and seriously believe this kid will be playing above the bottom pairing at any point in his life and I'm hardly alone on that assessment.

Well, he at least pointed out parts of McI's game and described them as they've been described by multiple people who have watched him with a careful eye. You're saying he's going to be a bottom pair player because you say so and everyone who disagrees is deluded. What about his play makes you think that?

Traderalways

Oct 27, 2011
Does this mean McIlrath will be better than Shea Weber? :propeller

Man this thread made me realize how underrated Michael Sauer was. There is no evidence to suggest McIlrath has more upside than him. One of the smartest defensive players I've seen and was a huge player.
It means it was a bad pick... GOONS at best are always available

Traderalways

Oct 27, 2011
It means it was a bad pick.... GOONS are always available

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I seriously suspect that if McIlrath weren't on the Rangers, people would be clamoring to trade something for him because "we need that type of player."

Everyone the Rangers have is worse than everyone they don't. Every decision they make is awful. Everything sucks blah blah blah, same old soup here everyday.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I seriously suspect that if McIlrath weren't on the Rangers, people would be clamoring to trade something for him because "we need that type of player."

Everyone the Rangers have is worse than everyone they don't. Every decision they make is awful. Everything sucks blah blah blah, same old soup here everyday.

No one would be speaking about McIlrath if he was a King or Panther.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas

Nobody would know McI's name if he was on a different team.

Regarding why I feel he's a bottom pairing dman at best:

His skating is not good. His agility is reasonably good for a big guy but his top speed and acceleration are both lacking. It's a fallacy to say his skating has been described as good. It's been described as adequate and good "for a player of his size". It's been described as improving and mostly as an area of needed continued improvement. His puck skills are marginal, and again could be adequate, but his decision making is still not close to being on an NHL level, and I don't see it ever evolving beyond being able to pick up ~15 points a year, through routine zone clears and such. His positioning is not yet NHL quality either and he does not have the foot speed to make up for it. He doesn't show particularly promising anticipation, gap control, ability to read the play, awareness of guys jumping into the play or going back door. Nothing about him is exemplary or shows great promise besides his size and willingness to play mean. He is only adequate-to-average in most areas, exemplary in terms of size and pugnacity and less than average in terms of decision making. He will continue to develop, and I'm sure he'll carve out a career but I doubt he will ever play above a physical #5 role during it.

Last edited:

Punxrocknyc19*

Man I just hate this pick more and more as each year goes by. Every time I see Tarasenko play I just get angry.

and we trust this management that runs this organization... heck any tough guy defensive dman did not need to be taken with 1st round pick :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad