Injury Report: Dylan McIlrath (1/6: Skated without problem )

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
With the power of foresight you could prevent a lot of chance accidents. It's probably unfair to expect that, though.

McIlrath was no less likely to suffer an injury at the NHL level than the AHL level (well, I guess he would because he'd be playing 5-10 minutes a game).

You can question sending him back down (I would say it was the wise move, but whatever), but blaming the injury on that decision is silly. I'm sure when Dagoon cools down, he'll see that.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
You guys make a joke out of every post .. are you even rangers fans?
I pray this isn't Steven Charenaky sp.? All over again

Not even close to what happened to Stefan Cherneski, our 1997 first round draft pick who looked phenomenal in training camp and had many thinking he'll turn into a two-way, hard working 25-30 goal scorer.

Cherneski was the last person to get cut in the 1998 preseason and was expected to return some time between Thanksgiving and Christmas. But less than half a dozen games into it, his knee was absolutely crushed. I saw his X-Rays and his knee was shattered into over a dozen little pieces.

Cherneski's X-Rays looked like someone took a glass cup and smashed it on the ground, leaving only unrecognizable little pieces. The second he got injured, you knew it was going to be terrible. There was no doubt he was out for the rest of the season. I loved his game and hoped he'll return the following season, but it took him until the last game of the NEXT season to even attempt a come back. He first said he felt ok, but the following season, it was still lingering and he lost a lot of the speed that made him successful in juniors.

Forced to choose between continuing his unlikely come back or cashing in his player's insurance, Cherneski retired.

McIlrath might have a minor sprain, but he skated off on his own and will be back very soon. I can't imagine that anything was shattered or broken, it just didn't look that way.

nikonsniper*

Im sure the OP is just frustrated beyond belief. The number of young players this team has lost in the last decade or so for various reasons is indeed, frustrating.

Cherneski
Lyashenko
Blackburn
Cherapanov
Sauer
Possibly Staal
Possibly Mcilrath

Its not even like we lose grinders.

Thats FIVE first round picks.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Everyone needs to stop freaking out. It wasn't some career-ending injury. I get these types of injuries playing sports all the time, and don't even pay attention to it. Hell, I've gotten injuries like that banging myself going to the bathroom because I am not allowed to turn on the light in the middle of the night (women, dammit!).

TheRightWay

May 16, 2012
Everyone needs to stop freaking out. It wasn't some career-ending injury. I get these types of injuries playing sports all the time, and don't even pay attention to it. Hell, I've gotten injuries like that banging myself going to the bathroom when I am not allowed to turn on the light in the middle of the night.

Gotta love people comparing him to guys whose careers have been ended. Before even knowing which knee it was, seeing any replay of it, or knowing the extent of the injury, people started freaking out. I get the cause for concern, but get a grip people. For all we know he's back on the ice tomorrow. Typical panic and overreaction from a fanbase who likes to panic and overreact to anything and everything.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Hope it's not too bad.

On the bright side if its not too bad, Hartford is off until Thursday, or he can sit out two weeks and only miss 4 games and return January 3rd.

Big guy who plays that kind of game, he's going to miss his share of time, just hope these injuries are minor.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
great, i will irrationally blame Sather and AV for this. Kid played fine and deserved a longer look. should not have even been playing down there.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Terrible Timing for the injury. You have to feel for the kid.

Can we stop this? Holy crap. I didn't even pay attention to this injury when I saw it. It looked very minor. Pretty sure the flu would be more serious than what happened to him. It's a minor thing, he didn't break anything and he skated off on his own.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Can we stop this? Holy crap. I didn't even pay attention to this injury when I saw it. It looked very minor. Pretty sure the flu would be more serious than what happened to him. It's a minor thing, he didn't break anything and he skated off on his own.
RIP McIlrath

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Not even close to what happened to Stefan Cherneski, our 1997 first round draft pick who looked phenomenal in training camp and had many thinking he'll turn into a two-way, hard working 25-30 goal scorer.

Cherneski was the last person to get cut in the 1998 preseason and was expected to return some time between Thanksgiving and Christmas. But less than half a dozen games into it, his knee was absolutely crushed. I saw his X-Rays and his knee was shattered into over a dozen little pieces.

Cherneski's X-Rays looked like someone took a glass cup and smashed it on the ground, leaving only unrecognizable little pieces. The second he got injured, you knew it was going to be terrible. There was no doubt he was out for the rest of the season. I loved his game and hoped he'll return the following season, but it took him until the last game of the NEXT season to even attempt a come back. He first said he felt ok, but the following season, it was still lingering and he lost a lot of the speed that made him successful in juniors.

Forced to choose between continuing his unlikely come back or cashing in his player's insurance, Cherneski retired.

McIlrath might have a minor sprain, but he skated off on his own and will be back very soon. I can't imagine that anything was shattered or broken, it just didn't look that way.

Well this is good news on McIlrath--sounds as if he's out it won't be for long.

Thought Cherneski had shattered his kneecap--not his knee. In any case that was a huge blow to the organization as was Dan Blackburn a few years later and then Cherpanov's death. We've have our share of bad luck with top draft choices. Throw in a handful of poor picks and not hard to see how we're always behind the eight ball injecting quality young players into our lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad