Dylan Larkin part 2

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Certainly everyone is a fan by now, yes? Is there anyone left from the pool of people who 'hated this pick' at the time?

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
He's easily our best pick since D/Z/Kronwall. He is the eventual replacement of Datsyuk.

See him more as an eventual replacement for Zetterberg, but thats quibbling.

In reality, he's probably more of a Bergeron or Toews. But for 15th overall, I'm fine with that. He needs to start playing center next year when Richie leaves and one of Zetterberg/Datsyuk is shifted to wing.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Can't work on his face offs unless he takes face offs. Practice against the best plusnrichards and Sheahan isn't that good. Need to face the other teams with it

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Still has a long ways to go with his career but he could make a case so far to be best since Stevie Y.

What's crazy is that if he were playing center, he'd be T-25 among NHL centers in points. So if he can make that transition and not miss a beat, even with moderate offensive progression, he could be a top 20 center statistically in short order.

I'm really shocked by all this. I can't get it out of my head that he's a "Helm with better hands," which makes me think of a Mike Fisher/David Legwand type - the type of guy that puts up 50+ points by compensating his lacking skills with extreme work ethic. In reality, Larkin has shown much more offensive IQ than he was billed to have. Like his assist tonight, if he waits a second longer to make that pass across his body - or even decides to shoot it himself - the chance is gone.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Bit of an inside joke if you wander outside of just our forum... Some will get it but in any event Hyman & Zetterberg > Larkin in terms of making the line go, according to some at least.

Ah. I remember having discussions about the Larkin/Hyman relationship. Neither player "made" the other, obviously, but they certainly benefited from one another. Larkin was always the greater talent, with more upside and skill, but boy did those two work well together last year.

Anywho, the obvious conclusion in all of this is that we should trade Zetterberg for Hyman.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
He's had a good road trip.

Haven't seen him embellish/dive in quite a while. Maybe he got a call from the league and stopped. Don't you get one warning before getting fined?

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
He's had a good road trip.

Haven't seen him embellish/dive in quite a while. Maybe he got a call from the league and stopped. Don't you get one warning before getting fined?

The diving thing is pretty ridiculous, at least the New Joisey one. Other ones I don't know

But yeah im pretty sure you get a call or something before you get fined or whatever, Shanaban told a story about it once.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I'm hoping for a really big 1+2, 2+1 type of game... he often scores 1 assist, or 1 goal...

I WANT MOAR :D

This is what gives me hope he can become a 70+ point player. He produces almost every game, he just hasn't been having those multi-point games that elite players have. Part of that is our putrid PP though. That's where a lot of players pick up those extra points.

His percentage of games with at least a point has to be up there with some of the best in the league though.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
This is what gives me hope he can become a 70+ point player. He produces almost every game, he just hasn't been having those multi-point games that elite players have. Part of that is our putrid PP though. That's where a lot of players pick up those extra points.

His percentage of games with at least a point has to be up there with some of the best in the league though.

His even strength point per 60min is only second to Seguin iirc

Once he starts producing on the PP he should easily hit 70 pts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad